Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st August 2004, 23:49   #61  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Try doing this.

In your DVD Shrink VTS_01_0.IFO, do these changes.

Code:
[51 00 00 80 BF 00 00 00]   2  (SetSTN) Set Audio stream = 0 ; Set Sub-picture stream = 63:forced

Note: You can also try it out setting the Audio to none and just setting the subpictures.

EDIT:

Disregard the above. The [51 00 00 00 c0 00 00 00] should've worked. Did you try it on another standalone? I played it in IfoEdit and it shows the subpicture turned on.

Last edited by 2COOL; 1st September 2004 at 00:40.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 01:04   #62  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Thanks for trying but the subs are still OFF when I play the DVD. There must be something else on the original that forces/overrides the players settings other than that setting/precommand.

Last edited by Holomatrix; 1st September 2004 at 01:06.
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 01:07   #63  |  Link
2COOL

OK. Play your DVD in IfoEdit. Look at the status panel. If it's a blank then no subpictures selected. You shouldn't see a blank since we forced the subtitle. If so, I think you may have a problem with your standalone.
Old 1st September 2004, 01:18   #64  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

That didn't work but the other one I sent you is working in WinDVD so I know it is fine normally, just not with my DVD player. I'll just have to do FULL disk backups for movies that have subtitles.
Thanks anyway
Old 1st September 2004, 03:10   #65  |  Link
Stryker-1

I used PGCedit to force a sub but it didn't work. WinDVD still showed the sub disabled. I then set the sub and checked ON. That worked. I then tried, just for shits and giggles, forcing the sub again using PGCedit and again it didn't work in WinDVD.

One other note: after setting the sub in PGCEdit and ensuring it worked in WinDVD I used Instant Copy 8.0.3.0320 to shrink "Hidalgo". Well, the sub was gone again. It appears IC8 set the sub to off again. What a PITFA.
Stryker-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 03:39   #66  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryker-1
forcing the sub again using PGCedit and again it didn't work in WinDVD.
I sent a message to rolZ on this matter previously.
Old 1st September 2004, 16:29   #67  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

PGCedit looks cool but seemed to not work for me either. Ifoedit DVDplay didn't show subs, neither did WinDVD, they play'd them as disabled. The files modified (setting default audio and Subs) manually by Ifoedit or automatically by DVDshrink do work properly with WinDVD or Ifoedit DVDplay. (To bad my DVD player needs some type of other command to force a default sub stream that's present on a FULL disk backup ) Oh, well I can live with doing FULL disk trancodes with subtitled movies since DVD media is so cheap nowadays.
Old 3rd September 2004, 11:47   #68  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There is a bug in the "forced subtitle" option in PgcEdit v0.3.3. This will be fixed in the next release.
Do not use this option. Setting the subtitle to stream 0 with the ON checkbox enabled should work.

If still no success, then try playing with the subtitle streams GUI in the PGC Editor. It is possible that no subpicture is assigned for the current video mode. If your video is a 16:9 aspect, this is probably the problem.
- Open the PGC Editor for your movie's PGC.
- Click on the subpicture 1 button, note the current stream numbers, and try to set all streams to 0 or 1 (or any other value that was in the original setup), and see if it is OK.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2004, 04:05   #69  |  Link
nt_1973_au

hey,

having trouble getting subtitles to work on "TOP SECRET". any tried burning this movie?

nt
nt_1973_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 06:54   #70  |  Link
lamster

Quote:
Originally posted by Holomatrix
If your wondering why I have my DVD player set to Subtitles OFF is because if I don't then any re-authord DVD plays an English subtitle track if its on the DISC
Whenever I see this, I add a command to turn the subtitles off. (See my post in the Van Wilder cheat sheet thread for details.)
lamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2004, 21:46   #71  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Thanks for the info. Can you post me a link to Mark's Tray DVD?
Thanks again
Old 11th April 2005, 13:25   #72  |  Link
video
moron

Okay that's somewhat straightforward, but what if i have made subtitles for 4:3 and 16:9 displays for 3 different languages, so there's 6 subtitle streams. how can i turn one set on by default? the stream number is dependent on the player's display setup, ie: 4:3 or 16:9 display rendering...
Any idea?
Old 11th April 2005, 15:39   #73  |  Link
mpucoder

You don't use the stream number in the command, you use the track number, which is the same for all display modes. Scenarist started this confusion by overusing the word "stream". Look in VTSI_MAT for the subpicture (and audio) track languages and extensions. If the one you want is first, use 1 in the command, etc. The player will then use the table at the start of the PGC to select the stream number.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 16:08   #74  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Interesting, mpucoder!

So, the logical 'thing' that is defined in the VTSI_MAT should be called a track? And the track will reference a specific stream in the VOB, through the stream status in the PGC?
If it's the case, SetSTN do not set the stream, but the track, SPRM 1 (ASTN) is the audio track number, SPRM 2 (SPSTN) is the subpic track number?
Of course, it is best to use different names for different things, but why is the audio track acronym called ASTN and the subpic SPSTN?
Old 11th April 2005, 17:19   #75  |  Link
mpucoder

Because everyone calls everything a stream. I am going against the establishment when I say track, but to me it is a more logical name for it. The specs distinguish them by calling the number used in SetSTN as "audio/subpicture stream" and the mpeg stream or substream number as "decoding stream number". Since mpeg pre-dates DVD it seems to me that the responsibility for choosing better terms fell on the DVD spec designers, and they failed.

But, call it a stream if you want, just make sure you say which kind.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 22:05   #76  |  Link
rapscallion
NY Frame of Mind

Ok, I'v read through the guides and it does seem like a pretty complex/tedious process just to turn subs on or off. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just run it through Shrink ( to turn off) w/the subs deleted ?? No video processing involved and pretty quick compared to the Pgcedit/ifoedit methods
rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 00:23   #77  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

In shrink, you can change the audio or subpic track only in reauthor mode, and you must regenerate the DVD. Writing 4GB or more is... tedious! And you need disc space.
IMO, adding a SetSTN command in the pre commands of a title is really easy! And you have to write the IFO file only.
A big part of the discussion here is only theoretical. You don't have to fully understand it to be able to set a default track. Just experiment a bit with the SetSTN command to learn how to use it.
Old 30th January 2006, 07:58   #78  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscallion
Ok, I'v read through the guides and it does seem like a pretty complex/tedious process just to turn subs on or off. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just run it through Shrink ( to turn off) w/the subs deleted ?? No video processing involved and pretty quick compared to the Pgcedit/ifoedit methods
Well, like most other things, this is actually very easy to do, once you know how to do it!! I agree that if you haven't tried PgcEdit before, it can be hard to figure out at first sight. But I can highly recommend investing some time in learning to use PgcEdit - it will open up for a lot of new possibilities for you when it comes to DVD editing.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 18:49   #79  |  Link
rapscallion
NY Frame of Mind

rOIZ.....reauthor mode is NOT necessary, subs/audio streams can be deleted in full backup mode.You're right about the disc space and processing.

Cons...it may just be in the first read through that it seemed a bit overwelming. I'll give it a try.
Edit: turned subs off via Pgcedit method, and you were right. Once reading and then doing, it was no time at all. Worked like a champ.

Another question : if the original movie did not display the subs by default, why does it do so after DVD Decrypting to the hd and burning untouched ???

Last edited by rapscallion; 30th January 2006 at 22:07.
rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 07:05   #80  |  Link
deejay220989

Need to ask a question..

My LOTR DVD plays a danish subtitle in default..

But I want it to play English subs in default..

Sould I just change the code or what?
deejay220989 is offline   Reply With Quote