Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th December 2005, 19:54   #41  |  Link
Karyudo

Hey, jeanl:

While I don't need your tool right at the moment, I'm having fun following along with the discussion of what it can do. Thanks for making this useful tool!

Doom9 is currently linking to your thread from the news page on the main site, dumping people to the first post. For that reason, perhaps you could continue to edit your first post to make sure the most up-to-date beta turns up there? That way anyone finding your thread for the first time gets the best version without having to search through a few more pages. Just a suggestion to maybe help avoid you having to post, "You need the updated version," in answer to "How come xxx doesn't work???" questions...
Karyudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 20:01   #42  |  Link
jeanl

Karyudo, thanks for the good words... Yes, every time I come up with a new "official" beta release, I update the first post to reflect that. The minor updates above are simply for the people who are following the threads, and can do quick tests to see if things work properly. I'll send a new update on monday, with the latest bug fixes...
jeanl
Old 20th December 2005, 21:57   #43  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Feature request: It would be nice to be able to automatically delete whole subpics, lines in subpics/parts of subpics with text for hearing impaired (wrapped in brackets, [ ]) and/or lyrics for music (wrapped in musical notes).

The reason for the request is this: I watch quite many imported region 1 DVDs, as movies are typically released much faster in America than in Scandinavia where I live. Since English is not my native language, I need to turn subtitles on in order to understand the entire dialogue.

English subtitles are fine for me, BUT on most region 1 DVDs the English subtitles are made for the deaf or hearing impaired, i.e. with lots of descriptions of background sounds etc., which I find very distracting not being a deaf or hearing impaired person.

So I'd like to be able to easily remove these parts, without having to demux/remux first (it takes too long and too much work) and without having to manually edit the bitmap subs (it would spoil the movie experience to go through the dialogue manually before watching the movie itself).

I realize that it would probably take some kind of OCR implementation (like in SubRip) or something like that for the program to recognize the unwanted parts, and thus you'll probably think it would be too much hassle to do, but please give it a thought anyway!
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 22:02   #44  |  Link
jeanl

CoNS, you crack me up! Check jsoto's message in the original thread!!!
No, really, it's going to be hard to implement that. Even recognizing a braket will not be that easy without a decent OCR, but a musical note?! I'm not sure CoNS... If at least they were a different color, that would be easy!

jeanl
Old 20th December 2005, 22:32   #45  |  Link
jeanl

Guys!
New version beta 0.69
http://www.videohelp.com/~DVDSubEdit/Downloads/
This makes it possible to apply only a subset of the changes that you made to the current SPU to the rest of the SPUs. I had to do that before adding new modifications.

- When clicking "Apply to all" a new dialog pops up where you can select which changes to apply to all subpics.
- Fixed a tiny bug that sometimes caused the transparency slider to move when moving the subpic all the way to the top.

I will make an official beta release very soon (today or tomorrow)...
jeanl
Old 21st December 2005, 00:56   #46  |  Link
jeanl

Announcing DVDSubEdit:
Beta 0.69 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...

Here's the change log from beta 0.62
  • DVDSubEdit can change normal start commands (STA) to forced start (FSTA) and vice versa. This enables you to turn regular subtitles into forced ones (always on, as soon as the stream is selected), or forced ones into regular ones.
  • DVDSubEdit can change the transparency. Selecting "All" pixels applies the selected transparency amount to all pixels except for the pixels that are used for the background.
  • When clicking "Apply to all" a new dialog pops up where you can select which changes to apply to all subpics.
  • The subtitle duration is now correct when there's more than 2 DCSQTs (sets of commands).
  • The video background now shows button rectangles it there are any buttons defined in the navpacks preceding the subpic packs..
  • DVDSubEdit no longer crashes when CHG_COLCON commands are found (it simply stops parsing the commands). CHG_COLCON commands are very rare (haven't seen one yet).
  • There's a help file embedded into the app. It's empty at this point.
  • Switched to using STL vectors in the CSubpic and CSubPicEngine class. This allows me to deal with SPUs with very large numbers
    of command sets.
  • The transparency was ignored when the CLUT couldn't be found. This has been fixed.
  • There sometimes (rarely) were crashes while loading. These have been fixed.

As usual, feedback is welcome on this thread!
jeanl
Old 21st December 2005, 01:05   #47  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl
CoNS, you crack me up! Check jsoto's message in the original thread!!!
Ooh, so finally I need to learn Klingon...

Many thanks for your tool, jeanl. I'm really impressed.

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 01:08   #48  |  Link
jeanl

Thanks jsoto, my feeling is that this is waaaaay easier to code than menushrink ever was! As long as you don't do anything too stupid, you can be almost sure you won't break anything and your DVD will still work... No need for endless tests (mostly done by blutach and r0lZ!!!! on various finicky players!).
jeanl
Old 21st December 2005, 01:54   #49  |  Link
goonix

@Jeanl

Thanks for the valuable tool!

Only a short question.
If I examine the subpic of a menu with "Ignore CLUT" checked, I get following colors:
Code:
     Original  DVDSubEdit
b    red       black
p    black     white
e1   blue      green
e2   white     blue
What is the reason to display it in different colors?

goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 01:59   #50  |  Link
jeanl

Well, if you ignore the PGC CLUT, then there's no chance that the colors I picked (arbitrarily, black white green and blue) will match the colors that were used in the PGC and in the colorscheme, right?
If you click "ignore CLUT", instead of using the colors defined in the CLUT of the pgc that references that part of the video, you use arbitrary colors (chosen - poorly! - by me and hard-coded into DVDSubEdit).
Does that answer your question?

If you want to see the original colors in a menu, don't click ignore CLUT and move the transparency slider all the way to the right. You will get the "default" colors of the pixels, but they might be very different from the ones used when buttons are selected or activated (that's defined in the colorscheme, in the navpacks, and DVDSubEdit does not implement that yet)...

jeanl
Old 21st December 2005, 02:57   #51  |  Link
goonix

Quote:
use arbitrary colors (chosen - poorly! - by me and hard-coded into DVDSubEdit)
Does that answer your question?
Yes. And thanks for the fast response.

goonix
goonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:06   #52  |  Link
Zeul

bug
When altering the transparency and the etting is set to ALL, P doesn't get reset. Bg, E1, E2 are all adjusted but not P.
Zeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 05:17   #53  |  Link
jeanl

Zeul, it's probably not a bug, it's a feature!
When you set it to all, all the pixels except the pixels used for the background are set to the transparency value. Now, DVDSubEdit tries to be smart about which pixels are used for the background (it doesn't simply assume that it's the "b" pixels, because more often than not, it's not!). It tries to determine which pixels are used for background (it's very simple: it looks at the pixel at the upper left corner, and assumes this is the background pixel). Then all other pixels are modified. The idea was that usually you don't want to change the background transparency.
If you do want to change it, then select the ""p" pixels, and move the slider...
If you really want a "Really All" selector, I can add that...
jeanl
Old 22nd December 2005, 08:46   #54  |  Link
Zeul

Cool - 'feature' not required. I can see your logic and agree.
Zeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 08:47   #55  |  Link
jeanl

Excellent!
jeanl
Old 31st December 2005, 05:54   #56  |  Link
Mtz

It is possible to enable some "guide-lines", I think one bottom line, for the bottom subtitles positions? This line is different for players or TV because of overscan. If I lower the subtitles position too much (even if in the DVDSubEdit everything was OK) is possible to lose the bottom line and be outside of TV screen.
We make some tests, find the right bottom position line witch fit OK in our sets and use the same positions in future DVDs.
Congratulations for your nice tool!

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 19:05   #57  |  Link
jeanl

This is the next feature on my list (I've started coding it). Unfortunately, the overscan is different from TV to TV (and as you said, there's no overscan on a computer and I'm guessing on LCD/plasma TVs and projectors)... The new feature will allow you to automatically move the subpics so they fit within two horizontal lines, at the top and bottom.
jeanl
Old 1st January 2006, 06:29   #58  |  Link
Mtz

Yes, but I saw some DVDs which have more than 2 subtitles lines. I think only the bottom line is enough.
Here is just an example screenshot. Look only at the "Safe area lines" and the bottom line. Only this two I think are needed. The screenshot is taked from a program called MTKWindows and I used it only to give you some idea.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 09:03   #59  |  Link
jeanl

Guys,
Here's a new unofficial beta for DVDSubEdit. It's beta 0.70, which you can find here

- Added slider to define a vertical "safe area" for the subtitles. They're moved just enough to fall within the area. This is not available / applied if the SPU is a button highlight.
- Added button to only display modified subtitles.

Let me know what you think. It's preliminary, I have to polish the UI a bit, but the functionality is there.
jeanl
Old 4th January 2006, 19:02   #60  |  Link
jeanl

Beta 0.71 of DVDSubEdit is now available here...

Here's the change log from beta 0.69
  • Added slider to define a vertical "safe area" for the subtitles. They're moved just enough to fall within the area.
    This is not available / applied if the SPU is a button highlight.
  • Added button to only display modified subtitles.
  • Improved the SPU slider behavior when selecting various streams.

As usual, feedback is welcome on this thread!
jeanl

Last edited by jeanl; 4th January 2006 at 19:06.
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote