Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 28th July 2011, 02:45   #4321  |  Link
rahzel

new to lav spliter/decoder.
i bitstream hd audio to my receiver so I used to use ffdshow and gabest/mpc mkv splitter but i'm gonna give this a go when I get a chance.

I have a question about the built in flac decoder. if you want full multi-channel flac audio, is it still advised to use a different flac decoder, such as madflac, or is there no difference? I always like to streamline the decoders/filters as much as possible.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 07:16   #4322  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
Not sure if this is an issue - I don't know if LAV filters are supposed to do proper seamless branching support for BDMV structures or not
Seamless Branching is supported (otherwise it wouldn't work at all). Before this, i only knew of one disc which caused issues with it, i guess now its two - although i haven't confirmed on this one.

Implementing something like Seamless Branching without knowing the spec is not trivial, so i had to go on the discs that i had, and figure out how the things would play together. I worked fine on every disc i own (except that one mentioned above), and apparently for everyone else as well.

Anyhow, without owning the disc i cannot do anything.
There will always be the occasionally oddly mastered disc that needs some special magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
new to lav spliter/decoder.
i bitstream hd audio to my receiver so I used to use ffdshow and gabest/mpc mkv splitter but i'm gonna give this a go when I get a chance.
You don't need those parts for bitstreaming. LAV Splitter and LAV Audio can perfectly bitstream all HD audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
I have a question about the built in flac decoder. if you want full multi-channel flac audio, is it still advised to use a different flac decoder, such as madflac, or is there no difference? I always like to streamline the decoders/filters as much as possible.
FLAC decoding is fully supported, the output is bit-identical to the source and to madFLAC. The only possible problem might be the detection of the proper channel masks for "rare" or "odd" flac files. I actually haven't seen a file like that yet, so i really cannot comment if it behaves properly.

In general, i would say there isn't a big reason to use something else, unless you find something that doesn't work. (and if you do, let me know, so i can fix it!)
Old 28th July 2011, 07:42   #4323  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You don't need those parts for bitstreaming. LAV Splitter and LAV Audio can perfectly bitstream all HD audio.
heh, that's why I'm trying your wonderful splitter/package of decoders. I don't frequently visit these boards, so I'm never up-to-date with the latest and greatest. LAV seems to be the new (at least to me) splitter/decoder everyone is using. I was stuck in the past thinking ffdshow/gabest is the only way to bitstream HD audio... until today.

Quote:
FLAC decoding is fully supported, the output is bit-identical to the source and to madFLAC. The only possible problem might be the detection of the proper channel masks for "rare" or "odd" flac files. I actually haven't seen a file like that yet, so i really cannot comment if it behaves properly.

In general, i would say there isn't a big reason to use something else, unless you find something that doesn't work. (and if you do, let me know, so i can fix it!)
Thank you. One less thing to install.

Thanks for the response and thank you for your efforts in this.

EDIT: one question - is there a way to only enable subtitles if there's a forced subtitle present? I can only get it to work so that subtitles are on or off. I've played around with the subtitle settings, but again, they're either on or off.
Do I have to disable something in MPC HC?
I'm using MPC HC btw (MPC subtitles are not enabled) with only LAV installed.

Last edited by rahzel; 28th July 2011 at 09:35.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:42   #4324  |  Link
clsid

Seeking does not work with these two FLV files (using ffdshow as decoder).
http://www.mediafire.com/?62jbf8i722ngdfe
http://www.mediafire.com/?oil4vtf1v483qol
Works with the Gabest splitter.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:32   #4325  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.31
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Improved audio codec selection priorities
- Improved VC-1 playback when using the madVR internal decoder
- Improved playback of MPEG-TS files with a timestamp wrap right at the beginning of a file
- Reduced amount of data required for file probing, resulting in faster startup time
- Fixed demuxing/timestamping of RealMedia files

LAV Audio
- Fixed a bug in the DTS parser which caused occasional hiccups on DTS-HD content
- Added the ability to detect DTS-in-WAV
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

The most important fix for me in this version was the DTS parser fix. It happend on quite alot of discs for me, but i never cba to fix it .. until now.
In addition to that, startup should be faster again now, although with the negative side-effect that some streams might not be detected if the file is muxed kinda odd. Don't worry, i have some plans for that, which will hopefully resolve this issue in the future, without delaying the playback start.

Additionally, DTS in WAV is now supported by LAV Audio. Its implemented only in the audio decoder, that of course means it only works if your WAV content (which was probably identified as PCM) is going through LAV Audio. With LAV Splitter thats no problem, because it uses LAVs special audio mediatype to send it to LAV Audio - however with all other splitters, LAV Audio won't be able to do it just yet, because i do not accept the usual raw PCM mediatypes. I'll have to come up with some solution for this - but anyway, its now possible to play DTS-in-WAV with LAV Splitter/LAV Audio at least.

As you may have noticied, LAV Video is not part of this release.
I wanted to get this small bugfix release out, before LAV Video is merged into the main source tree. This is mostly because i'll be on vacation soon, and i don't expect much work all through August. I'll be releasing a new "official" test version of LAV Video before i leave for you guys to test and accumulate feedback for me when i come back.

For anyone that missed it earlier, i moved from GitHub to Google Code.
The new project page can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/

Please submit all issues to the Issue Tracker there (http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/issues/list)
You're of course free to discuss them here first, if you're not sure if its really an issue, or things like that.

You can also see a rough roadmap up there on features to eventually come (or are at least somewhat planned, nothing is guaranteed)

Have fun!

PS:
I would also like to repeat my request from some days ago:

If someone is good at drawing graphics/artwork, i could use a logo and a set of icons for LAV Filters. I'm not really fixed on anythign specific, just something simple. The icons should come in 4 versions, one for LAV Splitter, LAV Audio, LAV Video and LAV CUVID each. They should work in 16x16 for tray icons, but also in bigger sizes for normal icons (at least 32x32, but if its vector based, it would be best)

This is your chance to give something back.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 28th July 2011 at 20:49.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:26   #4326  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Thanks nev - enjoy the vacation while we flood this thread with bug reports! :P
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:38   #4327  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Thanks nev - enjoy the vacation while we flood this thread with bug reports! :P
NEGATIVE! You will flood the TRACKER with bug reports! :P
Old 28th July 2011, 18:38   #4328  |  Link
Sebastiii

Again very great
and yep enjoy your vacation m8
Old 28th July 2011, 20:03   #4329  |  Link
Mercury_22

@ Nev
Just a small request / bug : it's "odd" / not recommended to have the x64 version of the LAV Filters installed in the "%ProgramFiles(x86)% especially when they are the only version installed on the system (no x86 version installed)

Anyway thanks and enjoy your well deserved vacation

P.S. Can you please post here all the working git locations (https://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/ it's "acting out" ) for the source ?
Old 28th July 2011, 20:06   #4330  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I won't install it into two locations, that adds alot of complexity to a very simple install script. I don't really see the downside of installing it there anyway.

The Google Git works perfectly for me, otherwise i wouldn't be able to push changes.
Try the same with http instead of https. Also, you need at least git 1.6.6.

Otherwise, my own hosted git repository still works and is being updated. (git://git.1f0.de/lavfsplitter.git)
Old 28th July 2011, 20:09   #4331  |  Link
rahzel

can you just install over previous versions, or should you uninstall the old version first?
Old 28th July 2011, 20:09   #4332  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Uninstalling is not required.
Old 28th July 2011, 20:13   #4333  |  Link
SamuriHL

The only caveat is to make sure nothing has the filters locked when you try to upgrade.
Old 28th July 2011, 23:15   #4334  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Not sure if this is an issue - I don't know if LAV filters are supposed to do proper seamless branching support for BDMV structures or not - but here goes:

Video corruption when playing Conan the Barbarian Blu-ray (EU edition) - when using MPC-HC and LAV filters and playing the movie using the 00800.mpls playlist, past the 1:51 mark when Conan takes out the incoming horse, there is a video glitch for half a second or so after the horse falls and the bad guy is on the ground - when the scene changes to Conan running away. This happens when the playlist finishes playing 00887.m2ts and then tries to seamlessly branch to 00889.m2ts. Not sure if this is LAV splitter issue or LAV CUVID issue. Or neither, if the intention is not to really support seamless branching?

Plays fine using Arcsoft TMT or a standalone player.
Hi,
i have this one and i didn't notice lag (it should be happen @ 18:27 minutes from the end of the movie).

I have open 00800.mpls and i confirm that i have the correct m2ts too.
Thanks.
Old 29th July 2011, 07:11   #4335  |  Link
CruNcher

There seems to be a problem with Sequential read problematic muxed DivX 5 ASP AVIs (sound gets stuttery playback slows down) and Lav Splitter + DivX Decoder, though need to further check falling back like MPC-HCs splitter to the default Avi Splitter avoids this, so it isn't critical

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 07:49   #4336  |  Link
boonjik

DTS Surround level issue

Hi Nevcairiel,

I use LAV Audio and I found an issue on DTS decoding due to Arcsoft DTS decoder. I try differents dtsdecoderdll.dll from TMT2, 3, 5 and some differents releases but the problem is always there.

I use HDMI output of my graphic card and if I configure output mode on PCM, there is an issue on surrounds speaker but only on DTS signal.
If I choose a bitstream mode, all is fine because it is my sound processor which decode the signal (like others processors and amplifiers). The problem is my processor can't decode HD soundtrack so I must use PCM signal to do it.

To calibrate multichannel levels, I use a pink noise encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
The level is normalized, so -30dBFS for individual channels. The -30dBSF should produce a +75dB SPL if the volume control is turned up to reference level (0dBr).

With Arcsoft decoder, in DTS, surround levels are 3dB lower than others channels. If I use a Dolby Digital signal, all channels have the same output level.
Normally, output levels should be same on all channels despite we use a DTS or DD signal.

I test same procedure to control level on HD sources and using Dolby True-HD, DTS-HD or LPCM signals, levels are corrects for each, even for DTS-HD !!!

If I test this normalized soundtracks with some blu ray players (Pioneer or Panasonic), all levels are corrects. I can use PCM mixing on HDMI output or PCM to analog output and all is fine. Players make a good job to convert DD5.1 or DTS5.1 to PCM.
So I test also others software players on my computer and both PowerDVD 10 Ultra and Media Player Classic Home Cinema work perfectly in PCM mixing. DTS and DD give the right output levels for all channels.

Otherwise if I use TotalMedia Theatre, the bug comes back so for sure it's the arcsoft decoder which as an issue.
I think the problem is Arcsoft which use the wrong method to decode DTS signal. It exist 2 types of decoding method: one for Cinema processing and one for Entertainment. They choose Cinema method which has a surrounds levels 3dB lower than front speaker. This is the wrong method and I have contact them to inform but they have never answered.

Do you think it's possible to fix the issue by yourself with an automatic surround level compensation on DTS signal … or maybe replace Arcsoft decoder by Cyberlink decoder because PowerDVD is fine?

Thank you
boonjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 08:09   #4337  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The Cyberlink decoder is unable to decode 7.1 HD content (only producing 5.1), as far as i know.

Anyhow, i have no plans at this time to replace the ArcSoft decoder with anything.
It may be an option to compensate for this when using the ArcSoft decoder to decode lossy 5.1 DTS. How did you measure those values, is there some easy tool i can use to measure the created PCM?

Did you test without the ArcSoft decoder, using ffmpegs native DTS decoding? Is it correct then?

If you could share you testing procedure (ie. the tools you used), and possibly your DTS 5.1 pink-noise test file, that would be great, and would allow me to work on it without establishing my own procedure first.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 29th July 2011 at 08:16.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 09:04   #4338  |  Link
boonjik

The DTS and DD pink noise are in Digital Video Essentials disc. I can send you file by private mail.
However High Definition files (LPCM, DTS-HD MA and DolbTrue HD) are available on another disc.

To measure level, you need a sound meter. If you don't have this device, you could find a free application for iPhone or others phones.
Precision doesn't matter: what matters is to measure differences between front and surround speakers. You could also hear differences without sound meter.

Off course you need 5 speakers for easy tests.

I don't know how test Arcsoft decoder using ffmpegs native DTS decoding but give me the procedure and I will do.

Thank you.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:05   #4339  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonjik View Post
I don't know how test Arcsoft decoder using ffmpegs native DTS decoding but give me the procedure and I will do.
Just use LAV Audio without any dtsdecoderdll.dll. Remove the dll, and it uses ffmpeg for decoding. It won't do HD, but it does normal DTS 5.1.

I think i can add some code in LAV Audio to actually compute the average loudness coming from the decoder, i'll investigate into that direction.
Old 29th July 2011, 09:20   #4340  |  Link
boonjik

All right.

I will test it this afternoon.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter