Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2005, 17:27   #81  |  Link
PALace

Yes, apologies for the delay. Re Thanx, it is Blutach I must thank for a great help file, coherently written and well put together. Still...(Must there always be a still....) what about the subtitle colour box; no matter how much I try, I still can't work out what it means!! Thanks again. Keep up the good work
PALace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 00:36   #82  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

A subpic can have a maximum of 4 colors. Most of the time, at least one of these colors is transparent.
The colors are not stored directly in the subpic stream of the VOB file. Instead, in the subpic stream, there are commands to assing indexes in a Color Lookup Table (CLUT), and transparency. In the other hand, the CLUT itself is stored in the IFO, for each PGC.
For example, if the main color of a subpic is assigned the index 0 (in the subpic stream), then the color that will be used is defined in the first position in the color table (of the IFO). In this case, the first color will probably be white.

You can edit the CLUT of any PGC with PgcEdit.
It is not currently possible to examine the VOB to know the indexes used by a subpic. So, you have to experiment, and play the DVD to know the result.
Example usage: on some DVDs, the subpics are yellow, with a black outline. Suppose you want to change them to white. Locate the yellow color in the CLUT, and change it to white.

Things are more complicated for the menu button highlights. In this case, the color indexes and transparencies stored in the subpic stream are used to display the part of the subpic that is outside the current button area (outside the rectangle you can see in the menu button viewer/editor). The color indexes and transparency levels of the selected and activated buttons are stored in the nav packs, also in the VOB. There are 3 schemes availables. Each button is assigned a specific scheme, which define the color indexes in the CLUT for the 4 colors and the 4 transparency levels for the selected and activated states of the button. The CLUT is the same as for regular subpics, stored in the PGC.
In PgcEdit, you can edit the selected and activated buttons colors and transparency levels in the color schemes editor of the menu editor.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 05:09   #83  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
You can see the layout of the buttons if you enable the Info checkmark.
I'm a little confused. I was talking about being in trace mode during the cell playing and trying to access my root menu button in DVD Play panel without breaking out of trace. What does the Info checkmark in preview dialog has to do with this?
Old 3rd August 2005, 09:34   #84  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, OK, I understand.
Unfortunately, as you know, the preview is a standalone program. I can't interact with it, except to launch it or examine the return code. It's therefore not easy to do what you want.
It should be better to write a Tcl/Tk extension to play the preview in a Tk widget. This way, the preview will be integrated in the main window, and controlled when needed. But it's not easy. Maybe later, if jeanl or someone else has some time to spend...
Old 3rd August 2005, 16:13   #85  |  Link
PALace

Thanks for that info. That explains a lot. For instance, I saved what seemed to be a good CLUT setting but when I tried it with a different subtitle the subtitle was in a different colour even though the Colour Look Up Table was identical. You're right; it is complicated. But an interesting way of passing the time :->
PALace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 14:40   #86  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Since the weather is not very good for now in Belgium , I have worked a little bit on PgcEdit. You can see the changes I've made in the [EDIT] messages in my previous posts in this thread, highlighted in green.
Version 0.6.1 will be available at the end of august, or at the beginning of september...
Old 5th August 2005, 22:08   #87  |  Link
jidelite

r0lZ,
1st post here but been a long time lurker and user of your wonderful PgcEdit. I don't believe this has been mentioned but I'm using a cheapo monitor with a desktop resolution 800x600 to do my editing with PgcEdit 6.0. While in PGC Editor, I seem to have lost the right scroll bar - I didn't have this problem under PgcEdit 5.7. I have workarounds but wondering was this by design?

Thanks,
jidelite
jidelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 23:30   #88  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Welcome th the forum, jidelite.

No, the scrollbar of the cell list should be present, even with a low-res monitor.
I have added recently the Angle column (labelled "A.") Of course, the window is now a little bit larger. It's probably the problem. I will try here...
Thanks for the report.
Old 6th August 2005, 11:44   #89  |  Link
Cela

Maybe off-topic - Insert, Remove Chapters on VTST Preview ?

Imagine VTST Preview having an option to 'Insert a New Chapter Point' or to 'Remove an Existing Chapter Point'.

Wouldn't that be great? A top feature request?
Or do I miss something and it is already possible?
Cela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 11:58   #90  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Unfortunately, it's not possible. A chapter point must begin at the beginning of a new VOB cell. PgcEdit is not a VOB editor.
Currently, to do that, you have to demux and remux the VOB, with a new entry in the celltimes.txt file.
But I know that jsoto has a project to add a function to cut a VOB cell in two parts in VobBlanker. When this function will be available, it will be possible to create a new chapter at that cut point. (Or maybe the ability to create the new chapter point will be included in VobBlanker as well?)
With PgcEdit, you can only assign chapter points to existing cells, with the PgcEditor.
Of course, you can already remove a chapter point with PgcEdit. But it's better to remove the Program: all chapters will be shifter down. Don't forget to remove the last chapter after that operation, or you will have a chapter pointing to nowhere.

Last edited by r0lZ; 6th August 2005 at 12:03.
Old 10th August 2005, 12:28   #91  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.6.1 beta3, and plugins

Since the new beta is announced in many forums, I see no reason to keep it private.
So, here it is: download PgcEdit0.6.1 beta3 here.

Please note that the Utilities, Macros and Options menus have been completely revamped. The documentation is still for v0.6.0, so use the old stable version 0.6.0 if you need an accurate documentation.

If you want to use a new plugin, you should download it and copy the tcl file in the "plugins" folder. This folder is created automatically in the PgcEdit's install folder, when v0.6.1 is launched for the first time. If at least one plugin is installed, a new "Plugins" menu will be available.
Note that the Debug plugin is reserved for programmers. You really don't need it!

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th August 2005 at 12:34.
Old 13th August 2005, 05:20   #92  |  Link
rcubed

rOIZ,

Let me say thanks for a very useful program. I have been using it to help me understand the structure of DVDs which I have found to be a "challenging" proposition. I'm beginning to understand the difficulties in writing software that deals with them.

I have one question which is bothering me. In the last several versions of the virus signature files for McAfee Antivirus, the checker has been flagging the zip file and in the installed folders the PgcEdit.exe file and in the bin folder the pskill.exe file. The files are flagged as RemAdm-ProcLaunch. The help files on the McAfee site lists the following information:

Program Characteristics:
This detection is of application type for "potentially unwanted applications", it is not a virus.
It executes programs remotely on Windows NT, 2000 and XP systems to perform various tasks like:
launching interactive command-prompts,
remotely enabling tools like IpConfig,
executing processes on other systems.
This tool could be used maliciously.
Users who would like to check for the presence of this program on their system should run the command line scanner with the /PROGRAM switch. Please note that VirusScan 7 has an option, which enables users to detect this kind of program automatically.

Is this due to the normal way the program reacts with operating system (XP Pro in my case) and to be expected? My concern is for the potential for "malicious use". Any explanations or information you could provide would be appreciated. The current McAfee signature file I have is 4557.

Thanks again for a very cool and useful program.

rcubed
rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 05:25   #93  |  Link
arsmori

r0lZ, is there an option to prevent the "Fix number of streams" macro from running at startup?
Like the menus rationalization so far, look cleaner and a bit more intuitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed
rOIZ,
I have one question which is bothering me. In the last several versions of the virus signature files for McAfee Antivirus, the checker has been flagging the zip file and in the installed folders the PgcEdit.exe file and in the bin folder the pskill.exe file.
I think McAfee is a bit anal here with that "potentially unwanted applications". Because a program is not 100% self contain and operating it's flagged evil? May I suggest you try avast! Home Edition or AVG Free Edition, both have a smaller footprint, are more coherent than VS or Norton AV and best of all, free.

Last edited by arsmori; 13th August 2005 at 05:42.
arsmori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 09:09   #94  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@rcubed
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your kind words.

I don't know why McAfee flags these programs as potentially malicious.
Of course, as PgcEdit needs the Tcl/Tk libraries, it includes commands able to delete files, inspect the registry, launch processes, and so on. I use some of them, for example to remove the temporary files or to install/uninstall PgcEdit. But, IMHO, any exe program downloaded from the net is potentially dangerous. I see no reason to consider PgcEdit as more dangerous than other programs.

PSKill.exe is used to kill MKISOFS.exe, when the user aborts an ISO creation. PSKill.exe is a free utility I've downloaded at sysinternals.com, which is a serious company. It is true that it can kill a program remotely, but I don't use this feature. The equivalent program from Microsoft, Kill.exe, without remote access, doesn't work well under XP.

Personally, I use the free AVG antivirus, also under XP SP2, and it doesn't complain. I will try the McAfee free online virusscan, to see if it reports some warnings.

However, take care. As PgcEdit is open-source, it is possible to find some modified versions around. So, always download PgcEdit from my homepages, or from a site that you trust, like VideoHelp.com.
There is at least one illegal distribution of PgcEdit, wrapped in an installer by Lcsinchome.Com, that contains a real virus. See this post for more infos.

EDIT: I have just scanned my HDD with McAfee's FreeScan and with Trends Micro's HouseCall. No problem, nor warning.
So, either McAfee is somewhat perfectionist, or you have downloaded an infected copy of PgcEdit (but it's not probable).

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th August 2005 at 12:14. Reason: Scan results
Old 13th August 2005, 09:19   #95  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmori
r0lZ, is there an option to prevent the "Fix number of streams" macro from running at startup?
No. But you can cancel the fix, if you want.
Anyway, I will add an option to turn this feature off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmori
Like the menus rationalization so far, look cleaner and a bit more intuitive.
Yes, that was needed. With the time, I have added so many utilities and macros that the original menus were somewhat congested. Thanks for your comment.
Old 13th August 2005, 20:16   #96  |  Link
rcubed

McAfee Warning

rOIZ,
Thank you very much for your reply. I had downloaded the files from your home web page. I had used on-demand scan to check the files, and unlike my standard scan options on demand has the "check for unwanted programs" flag set. Turning that flag off makes McAfee "less bitchy" and the files are no longer flagged.

Thanks for your time and timely response, I'll take a mea culpa for my oversite on the settings . I'll check out the other antivirus programs.

I try to be very careful what and from where I download programs. After reading all the good words in the forums about PgcEdit I suspected it was McAfee being too agressive, but was curious as to why.

Again thanks for the program. I really enjoy usiing it.

rcubed
rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 11:16   #97  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.6.1 beta 4

A new beta is available, with some additions and bug fixes.
In beta 1, I have introduced a bug. When editing a GoTo (or SetTMP_PML) command, the target line number was wrong in the command editor window. This bug is fixed now.
Old 14th August 2005, 13:57   #98  |  Link
arsmori

Quote:
Anyway, I will add an option to turn this feature off.

26hrs, pretty quick
Now, what should I have you do for me, hummm... are you good with fast rotating gas powered garden tools?
arsmori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 10:50   #99  |  Link
Wishbringer
Silent Reader

I can only find 0.6.0 on your homepage (including "all versions"-archive.
Could you send an URL where 0.6.1b4 can be downloaded?
Thanks

Quote:
A new beta is available, with some additions and bug fixes.
In beta 1, I have introduced a bug. When editing a GoTo (or SetTMP_PML) command, the target line number was wrong in the command editor window. This bug is fixed now.
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 11:55   #100  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbringer
I can only find 0.6.0 on your homepage (including "all versions"-archive.
Could you send an URL where 0.6.1b4 can be downloaded?
Thanks
The beta versions are here.