Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 2nd August 2006, 04:37   #1  |  Link
Capsbackup

Guide/steps for Shaggy Dog to play WS only

Trying to backup Shaggy Dog to DVD 5 by removing the full screen version, leaving only the widescreen version of this R1 NTSC DVD. This is a Disney film and it has a " Fast Play " menu where if you do not select "Main Menu" during the brief time it is displayed at the beginning, it continues to bypass the main menu and goes straight to the full screen version and plays the movie. I'm trying to use PGCEdit to change the default to the widescreen version to avoid the endless looping to the fullscreen version if you dont select " Main Menu " when the DVD is first initially played. When you select " Main Menu " , it will bring you to the Fullscreen / Widescreen selection menu, but if you don't it continues to just play the fullscreen version. Anyone know the steps to correct the IFOs to make the WS play instead of the FS ?

Last edited by Capsbackup; 2nd August 2006 at 05:11.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 05:36   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Use the Jump to PGC on DVD Insert function of PgcEdit to start your DVD at the WS/FS selection screen.

Guide on the PgcEdit site.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:09   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@Capsbackup

Hi!

Of course, if you want the movie-only (No menu, trailers or "bonus features"), you can use DVD Shrink in "Re-author" mode to select only the widescreen version of the movie...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 16:53   #4  |  Link
Capsbackup

@setarip_old

Since this DVD will fit on a DVD 5 by just removing the unwanted fullscreen version, i want to keep the menus and bonus features. I was trying to keep the original menus alone, it's just the " fast play " part that is tricky. I can just set the DVD to start at the main menu, and just bypass the " fast play " menu , and this works fine. But with the " fast play " menu, it defaults to the fullscreen version of the movie, and thus never shows the aspect ratio menu to make a selection, which leaves the continued looping to the fullscreen version. This was not that good of a movie to spend too much time on, thus having it start at the main menu is just fine. I was just trying to learn a new method if Disney implements this type of " fast play " menu in the future.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:46   #5  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgced...enus_intro.htm

The above is the precise location of the guide that you're looking for.

Basically, you find out the command to get to the main menu and then implement it in the pre-command. Blank that PGC(menu) which has the 2 buttons and you'll never see the FAST PLAY ever again.

2COOL turned us all into champs, heaps of thanks to him.
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 09:27   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

IMO, blutach has proposed the easiest method: jump directly to the main menu, bypassing the AR selection menu.

The original method is explained by jeanl here and by 2COOL here, but it is now easier to use the Jump2PGC function integrated in PgcEdit, explained in blutach's guide here.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd August 2006 at 09:31.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 18:45   #7  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

How in the world did I miss Blu's guide...

graciz
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 09:58   #8  |  Link
jm1647

I like to do my backups keeping only the movie and the menus for the chapter selection. I'm still learning the many features that PgcEdit has. I did the R1 version of Shaggy Dog and used the blank all VTS feature and blank cells to get it lean and mean. This stopped the auto play and going to the full screen version automatically. My backup goes to the Main Menu and sits there, where if you hit play nothing happens. I have to go to setup and choose WS(that is the version I kept). I know there is a way to swap button commands but for now that is a lil over my head and I too forgot about blutach's guide .
jm1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 10:07   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Before using any blank-out or kill playback on a menu with button, you should first use the Jump2PGC function to bypass the aspect ratio selection menu the clean way.
If it's necessary, you should even trace through the setup menu and choose WS before returning to the main menu to call the Jump2PGC function. This will assure that your preferred setup is "hardcoded" in the backup when the main menu is displayed.
When you're sure that the DVD works as you want, you can blank the PGCs and domains you don't need any more, to regain disc space.
Old 6th August 2006, 10:25   #10  |  Link
jm1647

@r0lZ - Thanks - I didn't want to kill the playback or blank the setup menu. I'm gonna hafta play with the Jump2PGC feature to get the hang of it. I have never used it yet. I put a lil note on the label of the backup jewel case - Setup - choose WS.

I'll get there one day, I'm learning something new every day
Old 6th August 2006, 10:47   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

To use the Jump2PGC function efficiently, you must understand how it works.
Basically, this function takes a snapshot of the state of the player when it is called, and then modifies the navigation so that the same state is recreated as closely as possible when the backup is inserted. The target PGC is then called (almost) directly, skipping all the initialization and annoying stuff that is normally played at the beginning.

You have to trace from the FP-PGC to the target PGC so that the GPRMs, SPRMs, resume point, etc... are configured correctly. This way, the jump2pgc function will be able to take an accurate snapshot. This means that you can, if you wish, change the audio, subpic and aspect ratio preferences before calling the function: just trace to the setup menu, do your adjustments, and return to the target PGC.

Hint: it is easier to set a pre/post breakpoint on your target PGC before launching the trace. This way, you can use the trace at full speed (in Run mode) without risk to miss the target PGC. Don't forget to reset the trace (with the Eject/Insert button) before launching it!

Note that the target PGC must have video contents. You cannot jump to a dummy PGC.
Old 6th August 2006, 12:25   #12  |  Link
jm1647

@r0lZ - Thanks for the explanation, I think I got it - I'll give it a shot - I found the Jump2PGC under PGC now, the Macro menu in blu's guide isn't there anymore...he's a lil behind in updating the guide So right now it goes to the Main Menu where hitting play does nothing. If I trace and preselect the setup menu to do WS (I already blanked the FS) then Jump2PGC to the Main Menu (where it goes already) when I hit play in the main menu it will play? I like a menu to come up because it gives me time to sit down, get my beer and popcorn, hug my lady, then hit play
Old 6th August 2006, 12:49   #13  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, I suppose it will work. Try it, but do an incremental backup before, just to be on the safe way. Also, don't do several jump2pgc on the same DVD. This function is intended to be used only once.

BTW, I like beginning with the menu for the same reasons than yours!
Old 6th August 2006, 13:19   #14  |  Link
voo_doo99

There is also an old-school patching method where you replace all VM calls of the FS Title# with WS Title#. If say the FS is Title 1 and the WS is Title 2, use PgcEdit to go thru and change all the VGM commands containing Title 1 to Title 2.
It is a quick patch job and it should work, but if you have time learn the power of the Trace
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 13:54   #15  |  Link
jm1647

This is a intersting DVD to learn on. Like Capsbackup posted if ya pop it in with the fast play thing it goes right to playing the FS version unless ya hit the menu, then ya gotta pick setup to get the WS version to play

@r0lZ - I'm gonna try it

@voo_doo99 - Thanks for that tip , I might try that too. I use the trace mode with the preview for blanking cells right now and I'm learning a lil bit at a time of what PgcEdit can do.
And I see your location is a familiar one to me, I go to LALAland every time I have too many Red Dogs to drink

to the both of you for the tips !!!
Old 6th August 2006, 14:12   #16  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@jm1647 - some idiot wrote a guide on Jump to PGC Upon DVD Insert. r0lZ was kind enough to put it on his site

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 14:32   #17  |  Link
jm1647

@blutach - but the so called idiot was kind enuff to write it, for writing it
Old 8th August 2006, 13:04   #18  |  Link
jm1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1647
@r0lZ - Thanks for the explanation, I think I got it - I'll give it a shot - I found the Jump2PGC under PGC now, the Macro menu in blu's guide isn't there anymore...he's a lil behind in updating the guide So right now it goes to the Main Menu where hitting play does nothing. If I trace and preselect the setup menu to do WS (I already blanked the FS) then Jump2PGC to the Main Menu (where it goes already) when I hit play in the main menu it will play? I like a menu to come up because it gives me time to sit down, get my beer and popcorn, hug my lady, then hit play
I tried it and it doesn't work, I mighta did something wrong. I traced thru to the Main menu, which right now is the first thing to play now(where the set up screen is also) chose setup, WS version, then traced back to the Main Menu and did the Jump2PGC thing. Could it be because it is already the first thing to play?
Old 8th August 2006, 13:29   #19  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't know. If you want, send me your IFOs, with the menu VOBs.
Old 8th August 2006, 14:28   #20  |  Link
jm1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
I don't know. If you want, send me your IFOs, with the menu VOBs.
IFOs and shrunk menu VOB sent to your pgcedit email. 1.8MB

Thanks for taking the time