Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 11th November 2008, 12:44   #5001  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
Shouldn't the last 4 be 3?
Oops, Sorry about that.

Here is an updated patch:
http://iknowu.net/files/public/ffdsh...-BGR24-RC2.zip

build:
http://iknowu.net/files/public/ffdsh...-BGR24-RC2.exe

Last edited by tal.aloni; 11th November 2008 at 12:54.
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 13:16   #5002  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
More MPEG-2 files than I have expected have wrong flags. In my opinion, the flags are not reliable "at all".
In H.264 flags are much more reliable, but still there are some files that have wrong flags (rare, ignorable).
It's just my opinion, discussion is welcome.
That's why I was suggesting an option that works "agressively", flagging everything that we're not sure it's progressive: every MPEG-2 stream without Progressive_sequence=1 (the only reliable method) would get the flags, and all PAFF/MBAFF streams in H.264 will get them too. What do you guys think? Would this be 100% reliable, even if we flag some progressive material as interlaced?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 13:43   #5003  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
That's why I was suggesting an option that works "agressively", flagging everything that we're not sure it's progressive: every MPEG-2 stream without Progressive_sequence=1 (the only reliable method) would get the flags,
Currently, libmpeg2 in ffdshow does this except if the pictures has "repeat first field flag" + "Picture" progressive flag and it indicates telecined film.
libavcodec flags progressive if "Picture" progressive flag is set.
libmpeg2 works better for me, but as tal.aloni has pointed, my samples have been gathered from weird places.
Quote:
and all PAFF/MBAFF streams in H.264 will get them too.
This is wrong. H.264 has better flags: "Picture timing SEI message", which I submitted a patch to (and now part of) FFmpeg.
Quote:
What do you guys think? Would this be 100% reliable, even if we flag some progressive material as interlaced?
There is no reliable method, especially for MPEG-2.
Old 11th November 2008, 14:19   #5004  |  Link
clsid

Haruhiko, could you update our copy of libswscale? There have been lots of changes to it in the past few months, including several bug fixes. There is some custom code in it from you, and you know about the code than the other devs.
Old 11th November 2008, 14:24   #5005  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
That's how it was at rev. 2222 too (the oldest one I have), and this is how it should work as far as I know, I think it's better this way.
Would it be possible to reimplement? I find it useful on occasion.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 14:47   #5006  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Code:
        case FF_CSP_BGR24 :
                safe_packed_conv(
                        (uint8_t*)src, src_stride, image->y, image->u, image->v,
                        edged_width, edged_width2, width, height,
                        interlacing?(jpeg?TpackedFuncPtrRGB<JPEG>::rgbi_to_yv12:TpackedFuncPtrRGB<CCIR>::abgri_to_yv12)  :(jpeg?TpackedFuncPtrRGB<JPEG>::abgr_to_yv12:TpackedFuncPtrRGB<CCIR>::rgb_to_yv12),
                        interlacing?(jpeg?TpackedFuncPtrRGB<JPEG>::rgbi_to_yv12_c:TpackedFuncPtrRGB<CCIR>::abgri_to_yv12_c):(jpeg?TpackedFuncPtrRGB<JPEG>::abgr_to_yv12_c:TpackedFuncPtrRGB<CCIR>::rgb_to_yv12_c), 3);
Shouldn't some abgr be rgb?

By the way, I found a mess.
FF_CSP_RGB24 = PIX_FMT_BGR24
FF_CSP_RGB32 = PIX_FMT_BGR32
RGB and BGR is upside down in ffdshow. FF_CSP seems to be wrong.
Of course this is not related to your patch.
Old 11th November 2008, 14:47   #5007  |  Link
yesgrey

I have updated my ffdshow to rev 2301.
Two things:
1-The "Process frames flagged as progressive" check box only works when the "Deinterlacing" check box is checked, right?
If it's this way, I think it should be placed inside the "Deinterlacing" group box, and not side-by-side with the "Deinterlacing" word over the group box line...
2-In the Presets dialog, when we rename a preset there is a little bug. We cannot change the case of a word. I have created a "dvd" preset, then I wanted to change it to "DVD" but it always appeared as "dvd". I renamed it to "ddd" and then to "DVD", and then it accepted it.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 14:54   #5008  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Currently, libmpeg2 in ffdshow does this except if the pictures has "repeat first field flag" + "Picture" progressive flag and it indicates telecined film.
libavcodec flags progressive if "Picture" progressive flag is set.
libmpeg2 works better for me, but as tal.aloni has pointed, my samples have been gathered from weird places.
Yes, this is good as it is (libmpeg2 I mean). libavcodec should have it too, don't you think?

Quote:
This is wrong. H.264 has better flags: "Picture timing SEI message", which I submitted a patch to (and now part of) FFmpeg.
Yes, but picture timing SEI messages can also be wrong, and that means problems. Take a look at "anixe.hd.ts" in the x264 site. The beggining is interlaced, but the SEI indicates it's progressive, so it doesn't get any deinterlacing. And this stream is actually broadcasted, not a weird one to test the decoder decisions, so anybody that watch that channel or a similar one will encounter problems if you go by the the SEI.

Quote:
There is no reliable method, especially for MPEG-2.
I agree, everything can be bad flagged. But the goal is to find the most reliable method. In MPEG-2 it's progressive_sequence, that is good as it is now in libmpeg2. But for H.264 the SEI messages, while more detailed and reliable than MPEG-2 flags, are not 100% reliable either. You can do nothing if interlaced material is not flagged as PAFF/MBAFF, but you can guarantee that if the stream has PAFF/MBAFF identifiers is because there is interlaced video at some point, and thus flagging all of them will solve 99,999999% of the issues. What I suggest is a separate option like "Force bob", not to include this in the auto detection method, just to clarify.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 11th November 2008 at 14:57.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:02   #5009  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Shouldn't some abgr be rgb?
You are correct,
here is an updated patch:
http://iknowu.net/files/public/ffdsh...-BGR24-RC3.zip

Quote:
By the way, I found a mess.
Yea, it is a mess, RGB was already called BGR,
so I called the BGR routines RGB.

I can "make it right", if you prefer it that way, but it will be a very long patch, and it would change dozens of files.
(at first that's what I did, but when I saw the magnitude of the change, I was afraid it won't be accepted)

Tal

Last edited by tal.aloni; 11th November 2008 at 15:30.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:47   #5010  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Yea, it is a mess, RGB was already called BGR,
so I called the BGR routines RGB.

I can "make it right", if you prefer it that way, but it will be a very long patch, and it would change dozens of files.
(at first that's what I did, but when I saw the magnitude of the change, I was afraid it won't be accepted)
Sooner or later, we have to fix it.
Please wait, not now, as I'm updating libswscale.
It would cause too much conflicts with my local copy.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:53   #5011  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
FF_CSP seems to be wrong.
you are right, it is the FF_CSP that's wrong, see here:

Code:
struct TimgExportBMP :public TimgExport
  {
   virtual int requiredCSP() {return FF_CSP_RGB24|FF_CSP_FLAGS_VFLIP;}
BMP is actually BGR24.

Code:
struct TimgExportPNG :public TimgExportLibavcodec
  {
   virtual int requiredCSP() {return FF_CSP_BGR24;}
PNG is actually RGB24.

Quote:
Please wait, not now, as I'm updating libswscale.
OK.

Tal

Last edited by tal.aloni; 11th November 2008 at 16:19.
Old 11th November 2008, 16:33   #5012  |  Link
DigitalDeviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviant View Post
I have a sample here with a few interlaced frames that don't seem to be getting flagged as interlaced. They appear to be flagged correctly in DGIndex.

sample
Sorry to bump but can anyone tell me if this is a ffdshow bug, an operator bug or is there something wrong with the stream?
Old 11th November 2008, 16:57   #5013  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Sorry to bump but can anyone tell me if this is a ffdshow bug, an operator bug or is there something wrong with the stream?
None of my Auto-Deinterlacers (software / hardware) deinterlaced this stream properly, so it must be a badly flagged stream.
Old 11th November 2008, 16:59   #5014  |  Link
DigitalDeviant

Quote:
None of my Auto-Deinterlacers (software / hardware) deinterlaced this stream properly, so it must be a badly flagged stream.
I run it through DGIndex and it looks like the interlaced frames are flagged as interlaced though. I don't know a better way to check.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:52   #5015  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
I run it through DGIndex and it looks like the interlaced frames are flagged as interlaced though. I don't know a better way to check.
DGIndex is correct. Deinterlacers need a small amount of time to start deinterlacing. If you have only 2 interlaced frames between progressive frames like this sample, they probably won't get deinterlaced because deinterlacers don't have time to start. This is one of the reasons to add that option I've been talking about in my last posts. It would consider all frames of that stream as interlaced (progressive_sequence is 0), avoiding those changes between prog-int. You'd loss a bit of detail though. It would be your choice to activate it or not.

For MPEG2 --> Everything that is not progressive_sequence=1 (even if it is soft telecined, at some point it may have interlaced frames like that sample).
For H.264 --> Every PAFF/MBAFF stream, regardless of picture timing SEI.
For VC-1 --> I can't find the specification.

I really think lots of people would find this option useful. A more refined "force bob" and "Process frames flagged as progressive".
Old 11th November 2008, 19:59   #5016  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
DGIndex is correct.
I don't believe that the video is flagged correcly, If you claim it is, please introduce me to the tools who shows this information.

Quote:
Deinterlacers need a small amount of time to start deinterlacing
That's not true, many deinterlacers (linear blending for example) will deinterlace immediately.

Last edited by tal.aloni; 11th November 2008 at 20:03.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:30   #5017  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I don't believe that the video is flagged correcly, If you claim it is, please introduce me to the tools who shows this information.

That's not true, many deinterlacers (linear blending for example) will deinterlace immediately.
Any proper deinterlacer should be able to deinterlace immediately. Even a "smart" deinterlacer/bobber should be able to do so.
In the very first frame, when there's no previous frame to compare against, simply all pixels need to be interpolated...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th November 2008 at 20:35.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 21:09   #5018  |  Link
DigitalDeviant

Quote:
I don't believe that the video is flagged correcly, If you claim it is, please introduce me to the tools who shows this information..
I used DGindex's preview to step through the stream and the frames that show interlacing were reported in the information window as interlaced. Is there something incorrect with this?
Old 11th November 2008, 21:55   #5019  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Is there something incorrect with this?
Yes, here DGIndex clearly shows that there many interlaced frames flagged as progressive:
http://iknowu.net/files/public/ffdsh...rePulldown.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Any proper deinterlacer should be able to deinterlace immediately. Even a "smart" deinterlacer/bobber should be able to do so.
Well, all of the deinterlacers in ffdshow gets the matching "interlaced flag" with the destined frame.
I'm not familiar with any delayed deinterlacing issue, and I think we have none.

Quote:
Deinterlacers need a small amount of time to start deinterlacing. If you have only 2 interlaced frames between progressive frames like this sample, they probably won't get deinterlaced because deinterlacers don't have time to start.
Wrong. Kernel bob / Linear Blending (which are the ones I use) will be applied immediately,
again, I'm pretty sure most of the others will too, but I'm not familiar with them.

Last edited by tal.aloni; 11th November 2008 at 22:30.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:28   #5020  |  Link
DigitalDeviant

Wow, that's not what I get. http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5601/bad1el0.png

I also checked it ignoring the pulldown flags since I thought that was closer to the behavior of ffdshow anyway and still it came out as interlaced http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8388/bad2wo8.png

I wonder what the discrepancy is since the version of DGindex I'm using seems to get it right?

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl