Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2002, 05:36   #1  |  Link
purplehawk

M2-Edit Pro

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how to create an EDL in M2-edit Pro version 4.0. I've spent the day trying to understand what the help files are saying and, I confess, I'm just lost.

How do .mpg files get to be EDLs?

The instructions say to open the files in the navigator window. I tried that. They hang forever and a day and never actually open. The audio file produces an error that isn't described in the help files, saying it's using an internal player - but, like the video, won't open at all.

When I tried opening them in composer (where I think I eventually need to be), I get an error telling me the files aren't in a recognizable EDL format.

I bought this stupid software because I haven't been happy with the resolution of my videos using TMPGEnc and VirtualDub. I was told it was a great program - wonder where that person is now? - but it's not exactly easy to learn.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and please explain (1) why my mpg files won't open in navigator and (2) how to create whatever an EDL is with them, I will be forever grateful.

TIA
purplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 07:30   #2  |  Link
movmasty

i just deleted my M2-edit Pro

i didnt buy it thought
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 09:48   #3  |  Link
dani82
A D S

i try that program a week ago, but i deleted it cause i couldn't find the crack, but i'm pretty sure that's a cutting/editting program for mpeg2(svcd), not a encoding program; it will probably only open mpeg2 files, try Myflix for cutting mpeg1 files (download it, don't buy it)
dani82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2002, 13:54   #4  |  Link
purplehawk

Thanks for the replies. I'm still struggling to learn to use it... I hope someone will come along with a tip or six.
Old 23rd February 2002, 03:17   #5  |  Link
purplehawk

Say, hey... I'm getting the hang of this thing. It took a while to remember I had selected "no" during the installation when it asked if I wanted to install DirectShow and DirectX 7.1. After reading the entire help file, word for word, it dawned on me that maybe XP didn't have all the stuff I needed.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, choosing "yes" this time, and bingo - I had video and audio I could open and drop-and-drag into the composer. And when I saved my partially completed composition, it saved as an EDL.

I've been struggling all day to find a program to convert my wav audio file to a workable mpeg-layer 2 that was acceptable to M2-edit. I lucked out, I think, when I decided to compress the audio file and process it through Virtual Dub. For the first time I can actually hear the sound as it's coded and I am hopeful M2-edit will be able to pick it up this time. If that's true, I'll be good to go!
Old 23rd February 2002, 06:10   #6  |  Link
movmasty

XP has the directx(btw,the new is the 8)
maybe it needed the directshow support
one mpeg2 encoder is xing mpeg encoder
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 20:16   #7  |  Link
purplehawk

I'm still fighting a battle over sound. I'm going to try and find this Xing program you've mentioned. This stuff is driving me mad!
Old 24th February 2002, 14:54   #8  |  Link
purplehawk

The original is a divXed.avi file. I used TMPGEnc to convert it to a VCD or mpeg-1 and burned it in Nero. The video is of passable quality with only a touch of pixelation here and there. It does not, however, compare with the quality of the orginal .avi when it is viewed in a player.

I decided to try commercial software and see if I could reproduce the quality of the .avi in mpeg or vcd format. So I ran the avi file through Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.0. It produced a stellar video with no sound. I then extracted the audio in Virtual Dub, converted it to mpeg 1-layer 2 in TMPGEnc and tried to merge the two files. No go. I then tried M2-edit Pro 4.0. It liked the video just fine but I couldn't get the audio to work. It told me time and again that the audio was not a valid mpeg format.

Today I tried every encoding program I could get my hands on in an attempt to come up with a usuable audio file, all to no avail. The latest one was Xing Mpeg Encoder, but I've also tried dbPower, LSX, and a fee others.

I currently have a wonderful but soundless movie.mpg file, an .mpa audio file that still doesn't work, a .wav audio file, and the original divXed.avi movie on a hard drive. Is this just a case of a rogue audio file, or could I be missing some kind of codec that will allow the audio to process properly> Can anyone please help me figure this out?