Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 7th January 2002, 18:08   #1  |  Link
sumotherdude

Capturing To DVD

Anybody here capturing to DVD?

I have an ATI TV Wonder card, capturing MPEG-2, fairly high quality video. ATI's multimedia software will allow me to save my files as VOBs. It will also allow me to play ripped VOBs off of a DVD as well.

I guess my question is, is there an application that will write an IFO file for me so I can burn these files as a DVD. I've tried just burning them in SVCD format on a blank DVD+RW but Nero just laughs at me.

Any ideas?

sumotherdude
sumotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 18:27   #2  |  Link
Derrow

Well, I could enhance my IfoEdit a bit, to create complete new IFO files, so you would be able to burn your captured files to DVD-RW, and play it in your settop player.

Will anybody else need such feature?
Derrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 19:24   #3  |  Link
cyburn

This would be awesome! Such a feature would save a lot of authoring work! Capture with ATI, build a quick IFO (how about menu...) and burn to DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD+RW!
cyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 21:06   #4  |  Link
sumotherdude

That would ROCK!

Wow Derrow! What a brilliant idea! IFOEdit is truly a versitale application. Thanks again for creating it. I'm sure others would find that functionality useful as well.

I'm currently HP's MyDVD software to burn my captured files but it's slow.

Again, outstanding idea and keep up the awesome work!

sumotherdude

Last edited by sumotherdude; 7th January 2002 at 21:08.
Old 7th January 2002, 23:23   #5  |  Link
MickeyNBK

That would kick ass!! If it could create IFOs, add chapter stops, make menus and let you use VOBs from different discs that would be awesume.
MickeyNBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2002, 02:27   #6  |  Link
cyburn

Somotherdude,

Hod exactly do you capture to vob? Which version of ATI multimedia do you use. I looked around in 7.2 and could not find how to capture to VOB.

As well, I know that ATI only capture sound at 41000hz and not 48000hz. I am not sure what impact that would have on standalone DVD players...

Anyway, if your version does 48000hz capture then wow!
cyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2002, 02:40   #7  |  Link
sumotherdude

This sounds crazy - but I just rename the file with a .VOB extension. It seems to work.

I've been messing around with HP's MyDVD software and have took just my MPEGs and made them into a DVD with somewhat primitive menus. Apparently the application transcodes the video and audio to a DVD comptabile format, although I lost a lot of video quality during the process - an SVCD actually looked better.

I've been looking for a way to create a generic Ifo file to use with my captured video.

sumotherdude
Old 9th January 2002, 18:48   #8  |  Link
Derrow

Got it. Just finished the first beta version, that is able to create complete new IFO files, from VOB files only.

Who want to help me beta-testing it? Just send me an email with subject 'Beta Test IfoEdit', and you will get it for testing purposes.
Derrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2002, 21:52   #9  |  Link
xly

Ifo Authoring

I highly admire the impressive job done by Derrow for our community.
He is the king of Dvd2Dvd "downsizing".

Until now I am using Ulead Dvd Movie Factory which has 2 major advantages, inexpensive ( < $60)and easy to use. But its major drawback : totally bugged.

I fully support Derrow's project

xly
xly is offline   Reply With Quote