Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 7th November 2007, 15:51   #2381  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozio View Post
One more thing: since EAC3 should be backward compatible with AC3, so existing AC3 decoders are capable of decoding AC3 stream embeded in EAC3, then maybe it is good place to start just to ignore EAC3 samples and decode only AC3 ones...
There are no AC3 samples in an E-AC3 stream. E-AC3 is not backwards compatible.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 16:54   #2382  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
If someone can tell me which tag is used by EAC3, then maybe there is a small chance that I can make it work.
I personally don't need this EAC-3 thing, but

- Waveformatex, FormatTag = 0x2000
- [There may or may not be junk bytes after the header*]
- 0b 77 <--syncword (AC3 header) // look for them
- 3 bytes to skip
- this byte <-- here // (byte>>3)==8 for standard ac3, ==16 for enhanced one

Or, you may want to get it straight from horse's mouth
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_52b.pdf

*You might have to scan more than 1 chunks, because in the worst situation, at least in theory, you can't find the syncword at all in the 1st chunk, for example when a simple-minded muxer zero'ed it out trying to set audio delay that way.

Last edited by Liisachan; 7th November 2007 at 17:02. Reason: typo
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 17:24   #2383  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There are no AC3 samples in an E-AC3 stream. E-AC3 is not backwards compatible.
What a shame....

Seems like a missed opportunity for the E-AC3 decoder filter not to support regular AC3 streams too
Old 7th November 2007, 19:53   #2384  |  Link
khagaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
I was thinking of translating ffdshow to Portuguese from Portugal but there's no English base file for me to start with, I've searched both the trunk and the installation folder but the files only say "English". Can some one provide something for me?
A file with all the translatable strings would be really nice. I know about the translation mode and it is nice for initial translation (I'm just finishing Czech translation, should be ready this weekend), but it's almost unusable for tracking down changes between versions. GUI strings don't get updated/changed that frequently, but if they do, it's a pita to to find out what actually changed.
khagaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 22:19   #2385  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, I've managed to decode an E-AC3 sample with ffmpeg and it works ok, but there are 2 problems:

(1) Decoding seems to be always 16bit? Not sure, at least that's what I got without changing any options. But maybe it's possible to force 24bit decoding somewhere somehow. I'm a beginner with using libavcodec.

(2) The ffmpeg decoded E-AC3 file plays slightly distorted. The same E-AC3 sample file is not distorted when decoding with Nero's E-AC3 decoder.

So as far as I can see, ffmpeg's E-AC3 decoding support is not ready to go yet. I also tried getting the TrueHD/MLP decoder to work, but failed. It did extract one audio frame sometimes but then stopped working.

I think we need to have some patience. And I think ffdshow doesn't need to hurry with adding E-AC3 and TrueHD/MLP support. The decoders first need to become stable.
Old 7th November 2007, 23:08   #2386  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
I was thinking of translating ffdshow to Portuguese from Portugal but there's no English base file for me to start with, I've searched both the trunk and the installation folder but the files only say "English". Can some one provide something for me?
Kado, would you like some help?
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 23:44   #2387  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

I have translated the audio decoder dialog already, maybe I missed some stuff. That translation system may impose some difficulties like khagaroth said but hey, that's the one we've got right now... Thanks for the help guys. You may see some real Portuguese translation soon!
Old 8th November 2007, 01:20   #2388  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What a shame....

Seems like a missed opportunity for the E-AC3 decoder filter not to support regular AC3 streams too
AC3's more complex than DTS, so building another lossy format around an AC3 core would be much harder than just boosting the bitrate. (Not that I think it's a bad idea. AAC would still be a better idea, hrmph.) DTS is practically just ADPCM, you can add and peel bits from it the way vorbis was originally designed to.

TrueHD is lossless AC3, on the other hand, similar to the Wavpack hybrid concept.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 03:13   #2389  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
TrueHD is lossless AC3, on the other hand, similar to the Wavpack hybrid concept.
Technically, that's incorrect. TrueHD is based on MLP, and happens to have an AC3 track in it that can be used when there's no support for MLP decoding. It's like having an MKA (Matroska Audio) with FLAC and AAC audio files. Just a small clarification before the wrong info goes out.
Old 8th November 2007, 03:28   #2390  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Oh really? Huh, odd that they wouldn't just have them as separate tracks then, must be a marketing thing.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 03:59   #2391  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
As far as I know liba52 is not able to encode more than 5+1 channels in AC3 (I am not sure about that but I remember such limits in the code).
If you select 3/0/2 mixing it should work
I also brought a few corrections to AC3 encoding on revision 1595
I did try xxl's revision 1595 and low and behold, ac3 encoding works again! I did roll back to the other builds that included the 7.1 audio matrix and did set them to 5.1 channels and below and I still could not get ac3 encoding, only 2 channel PCM via spdif.

Whatever modifications/corrections you did in revision 1595 for AC3 worked for me.

cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 08:22   #2392  |  Link
wozio

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think we need to have some patience. And I think ffdshow doesn't need to hurry with adding E-AC3 and TrueHD/MLP support. The decoders first need to become stable.
Maybe avoiding hanging when EAC3 received is good idea to implement until decoders will be stable. Now ffdshow always connect to EAC3 stream and hangs what is a bit annoying, better would be to just no sound at all with some indication in info panel.
wozio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 09:08   #2393  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Oh really? Huh, odd that they wouldn't just have them as separate tracks then, must be a marketing thing.
I think they're doing it this way to make things easier for the end user. The end user only sees one track "English" which he chooses. Now the Blu-Ray player can decide itself whether to playback the AC3 or the TrueHD track, depending on which decoders it has inside. I think this approach makes sense.

Btw, the AC3/TrueHD mixed tracks are only found on Blu-Ray. On HD DVD TrueHD tracks don't have any AC3 frames mixed in.
Old 8th November 2007, 12:03   #2394  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
You may see some real Portuguese translation soon!
The portuguese from Brazil is also real portuguese. Slightly different from the Portugal one, just that.
Old 8th November 2007, 15:19   #2395  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
The Portuguese from Brazil is also real Portuguese. Slightly different from the Portugal one, just that.
When I read something in Brazilian Portuguese something just seems wrong, maybe it's like American English and British English.
Example:
Windows "log of" message
EN: "Windows is logging of."
PT-BR:"Windows está fazendo log of"
PT-PT:"Windows está a terminar a sessao"

If I was Brazilian and couldn't understand English I would not understand that PT-BR message. If you can understand Portuguese you'll understand what I mean.

Sorry for the off topic stuff.
Old 8th November 2007, 16:26   #2396  |  Link
Rash

Off-Topic

Kado, people here just prefer the english technical terms associated with computers. It is really not because we crave for foreign words, but mostly because we are used to them. So we have verbs (with full conjugation) like:

downloadar (fazer download, baixar)
logar (fazer log on)
deletar (apagar, remover)
resetar (zerar, reiniciar)
rebootar (reiniciar o PC)

And so on. Sorry for the offtopic.

Last edited by Rash; 8th November 2007 at 16:29.
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 19:25   #2397  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

I'm full aware of those terms because I use them myself but I don't think they should be used regarding the translation of ffdshow when you are making the translation accessible to everyone and not just to the more pc expert (like us who are browsing and posting in these forums), it's just my opinion. Anyway eventually the translation will be completed and you guys can give an opinion about it... or not!

P.S.=> Looks like there are more Portuguese speaking people here than I imagined after all! Fiquem bem!
Old 8th November 2007, 19:50   #2398  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Just letting you guys know, the ffavisynth.avsi placed in my plugins folder during the install seems to crash my Avisynth everytime I try to open, say, a d2v file.
Old 8th November 2007, 21:29   #2399  |  Link
yesgrey

Kado, I understand you. I'm also portuguese. The use of foreign words is also a current practice with us. Maybe the brazillian use it a bit more, but we also use it sometimes... For instance the verb "zipar". Don't tell me you never used it?

Just tell us when you're translation is ready and I will be very pleased in giving you my opinion/suggestions. I only don't promise to use it, because I prefer the english terms.
Old 9th November 2007, 09:07   #2400  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
If I was Brazilian and couldn't understand English I would not understand that PT-BR message. If you can understand Portuguese you'll understand what I mean.
Like Rash and yesgrey3 said, brazilian people can full understand that translation (both indeed). I'm a brazilian guy, and I can guarantee you.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl