Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th June 2018, 15:48   #51361  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
https://frupic.frubar.net/36927

I hope it's better now, and sorry if I'm bothering you, but I do not understand much the OSD data and I would like an opinion from some madvr expert, thanks and bye.
It looks fine, to me. You could consider disabling scaling for upscales that small under zoom control.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 16:38   #51362  |  Link
giulianoprs

Thanks Warner, you say go to the "zoom control" section and disable the first "voice" '"disable scaling if image size changes by only"? What does this function do? I do not know what does zoom control and I left in default.
Anyway, everything else is ok? my vision of film and tv series is without shots, all smooth, the only problem are the high temperatures of my gpu, around 65 !!!
My gpu is an Asus strix rx 560 o.c. 4gb
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 16:40   #51363  |  Link
madjock

Can someone explain why madVR + KODI and Dsplayer seems to stabilise frame rates compared to MPC-HC and madVR?

When a Movie starts in KODI, it must do a Reset to clear dropped frames on start and seems to stabilise instantly to days then back down to hours for Frame repeats.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 16:46   #51364  |  Link
huhn

even 80 is not a number to think about they are made for such temps.

the threshold is at about 90 don't quote me on that number modern GPU can take very very high temps without any issues.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 17:31   #51365  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Can someone explain why madVR + KODI and Dsplayer seems to stabilise frame rates compared to MPC-HC and madVR?

When a Movie starts in KODI, it must do a Reset to clear dropped frames on start and seems to stabilise instantly to days then back down to hours for Frame repeats.
No idea. The players will behave slightly differently because they are coded differently. DSPlayer is a lot more complicated. If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12th June 2018, 17:31   #51366  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
Thanks Warner, you say go to the "zoom control" section and disable the first "voice" '"disable scaling if image size changes by only"? What does this function do? I do not know what does zoom control and I left in default.
Anyway, everything else is ok? my vision of film and tv series is without shots, all smooth, the only problem are the high temperatures of my gpu, around 65 !!!
My gpu is an Asus strix rx 560 o.c. 4gb
Disable scaling won't upscale anything if it fits the criteria you set. It will just display the image with a black border. This can save a little performance.

Last edited by Warner306; 12th June 2018 at 17:38.
Old 12th June 2018, 23:36   #51367  |  Link
ryrynz

@Giulianoprs, it's a waste of resources scaling up like only 8 pixels or so, and the difference is minor.
Also IMO change your chroma scaler to NGU AA, unless of course you prefer the sharper chroma.
ryrynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 23:38   #51368  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
@Giulianoprs, it's a waste of resources scaling up like only 8 pixels or so, and the difference is minor.
Also IMO change your chroma scaler to NGU AA, unless of course you prefer the sharper chroma.
What's the difference between AA and Sharp please? Thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 23:41   #51369  |  Link
ryrynz

Well, NGU sharp isn't an upscaler I'd ever consider using for chroma, leave it for luma only, it's way too sharp.
The difference, well honestly just search the thread for chroma posts, there's lots of them with screenshots showing the difference.
All I can say about the both of them are that they're pretty much opposite sides of the upscaling spectrum, NGU AA (Anti-alias) is used for softer upscaling keeping edges looking natural.
NGU Sharp just goes all out on everything, both are quite advanced upscalers and offer better quality upscales than the traditional "dumb" scalers like Lanzcos, Bicubic etc.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th June 2018 at 23:45.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:39   #51370  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

After reinstalling my graphic drivers (NVidia Geoforce 1080) madVR is causing MPC-HC to freeze and if I click on the tray icon I get "madVR instance didn't reply properly". I'm using the latest version.

What can I do from here?
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 05:32   #51371  |  Link
ryrynz

MadVR probably isn't the "cause" here, have you tried doing anything else with the graphics card? Is reinstalling the graphics driver all you did? Why not perform a system restore to before you did the reinstall?
Old 13th June 2018, 08:22   #51372  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Well, NGU sharp isn't an upscaler I'd ever consider using for chroma, leave it for luma only, it's way too sharp.
The difference, well honestly just search the thread for chroma posts, there's lots of them with screenshots showing the difference.
All I can say about the both of them are that they're pretty much opposite sides of the upscaling spectrum, NGU AA (Anti-alias) is used for softer upscaling keeping edges looking natural.
NGU Sharp just goes all out on everything, both are quite advanced upscalers and offer better quality upscales than the traditional "dumb" scalers like Lanzcos, Bicubic etc.
Thank you.. I have 2 profiles in madVR one for 1080p and the other for 2160p.. I assume I will need to apply this when up scaling 1080p to 2160p? I'll give it a go and seek which I prefer as I currently have it on NGU sharp (High).. Thanks again

Old 13th June 2018, 08:42   #51373  |  Link
ryrynz

You really should have more profiles than that to make the most of the content you have. I recommend using one of Asmodian's profiles and changing it to suit your card.
Old 13th June 2018, 08:43   #51374  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
You really should have more profiles than that to make the most of the content you have. I recommend using one of Asmodian's profiles and changing it to suit your card.
Thank you.. Can you please elaborate on where I can find Asmodian's profiles please? .. Sorry if its a silly question.. Thanks for your help.. BTW I only have full HD bluray and 4K HDR movies..

Last edited by mkohman; 13th June 2018 at 09:59.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:23   #51375  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Thank you.. Can you please elaborate on where I can find Asmodian's profiles please? .. Sorry if its a silly question.. Thanks for your help.. BTW I only have full HD bluray and 4K HDR movies..

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 11:38   #51376  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Cheers for the link but the previous op recommended one of his profiles and changed it to suite my GPU.. I don't understand this part? Can't seem to see any actual profiles.. There is tons of fantastic information but can't see example of profiles..? Thanks

Old 13th June 2018, 12:22   #51377  |  Link
huhn

you download the profile replace it with your setting.bin and change the settings to your liking.
Old 13th June 2018, 12:33   #51378  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you download the profile replace it with your setting.bin and change the settings to your liking.
Thanks much appreciated but the link is for information on madVR I can't seem to find a link for downloading profiles.. Sorry to be a pain..

Old 13th June 2018, 12:52   #51379  |  Link
huhn

3 post settings.bin
Old 13th June 2018, 12:59   #51380  |  Link
dioxholster

What player should everyone use? MPC-HC (official or unoffical?) or something else (kodi, etc) x64 or x32?

Last edited by dioxholster; 13th June 2018 at 13:05.
dioxholster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling