Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 16th March 2010, 17:58   #1481  |  Link
Foofaraw

Two questions about frames.

Is there an easy way to convert celltimes.txt (a list of frames) to a format mmg understands?

and; you explain about OGM style chapter files

"Due to its limitations mmg cannot output chapters in this format."

What does that mean? mmg won't put them in a mkv file but converts it to xml first?
Old 16th March 2010, 18:04   #1482  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Two questions about frames.

Is there an easy way to convert celltimes.txt (a list of frames) to a format mmg understands?
Not with mkvtoolnix per se, but if it's a plain text format then it should be easy to write scripts in whatever scripting language you like (Perl, Python, Ruby, awk...) to convert such files.

Quote:
and; you explain about OGM style chapter files

"Due to its limitations mmg cannot output chapters in this format."

What does that mean? mmg won't put them in a mkv file but converts it to xml first?
There are two text chapter formats, OGM style and XML files. OGM style files can only store the start timestamp and the name of each chapter, and chapters cannot be nested. The XML file format can contain many more attributes (end timestamp, editions etc) and chapters can be nested.

Therefore mmg will not save to OGM style chapter files -- too much information is lost. It can either save a XML text file for further processing or it can save directly into an existing Matroska file. In both cases no information is lost.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 16th March 2010, 18:06   #1483  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofaraw View Post
Would you say its a good format for streaming video? (Via media players, not the internet)
Depends on your definition of "streaming" and the type of media player in question. I'm using an Asus O!Play myself and play my files back from a network share. Some people call that streaming. Works flawlessly.

Quote:
Reason I'm wondering is because someone said we can't see how long tracks are but you have to scan the entire file to figure it out (i would have thought there was a header somewhere).
True, but no player should have to know the length of any track in order to play back a file. MP4 is no better in this regard than Matroska: Either it's "true" streaming (meaning the player cannot seek in the file it reads -- in that case neither format usually has information about total length available) or it's a seekable file (in which cases a player can get the total length from both file types, the methods are just different).

Old 17th March 2010, 08:30   #1484  |  Link
Foofaraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Not with mkvtoolnix per se, but if it's a plain text format then it should be easy to write scripts in whatever scripting language you like (Perl, Python, Ruby, awk...) to convert such files.
Its a text files with a frame number pr line like:

Made by PgcDemux
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:15   #1485  |  Link
liquidator87

If I may ask... when will you make a repository for Lucid available?
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:17   #1486  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Certainly not before it's released. I'm busy enough without chasing after betas. "In April" is probably accurate

Old 23rd March 2010, 21:18   #1487  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Additionally you can easily compile the packages yourself; see http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...ubuntu_package

Old 23rd March 2010, 22:22   #1488  |  Link
liquidator87

Wow... It took me... like... 10 seconds to build the package... eheh thanks
Old 25th March 2010, 09:06   #1489  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 3.3.0 released

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v3.3.0. This release contains contains several important bug fixes and a few new features. Behind the scenes huge parts of the code have seen adjustments, especially the order and amount of included header files. I've gone to great lengths to ensure everything compiles as usual on several platforms and versions but be prepared for compiler errors if you compile the package yourself.

There are no changes that package maintainers have to look out for.

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-3.3.0.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....3.0-setup.exe
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-3.3.0.7z

All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 3.2.0:

------------------------------------------------------------
2010-03-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v3.3.0.
* Build system: Sped up builds by using pre-compiled headers. Patches by Steve Lhomme (see AUTHORS) and myself.

2010-03-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the default duration for interlaced MPEG-1/2 video tracks. Also added the 'interlaced' flag for such tracks. Patches by Xavier Duret (see AUTHORS). Fix for bug 479.

2010-03-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Specifying a FourCC with spaces at the end will not result in an error anymore. Fix for bug 480.

2010-03-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Timecodes for MPEG-1/2 tracks are calculated properly, especially for B frames. Patch by Xavier Duret (see AUTHORS). Fix for bug 475.

2010-03-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Added a message in verbosity level 2 to the splitting code. It reports before which timecode and after what file size a new file is started.
* All: A lot of changes preparing mkvtoolnix for use with the upcoming libebml2/libmatroska2 versions were applied. Patches by Steve Lhomme (see AUTHORS).

2010-03-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a crash when reading Matroska files that contain Vorbis audio with in MS compatibility mode (CodecID A_MS/ACM). Fix for bug 477.
* All: enhancement: Added support for old Mac-style line endings (only '\r' without '\n') in text files.

2010-03-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: Added the values "4483M" and "8142M" to the "split after this size" drop down box.

2010-03-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: Fixed compilation if gettext is not available.

2010-03-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Build system: Added project files and fixes for compilation with Microsoft Visual Studio 8. Patches by David Player (see AUTHORS).
* Installer: bug fix: A couple of start menu links to pieces of the documentation were broken. Added missing start menu links to translations of the documentation.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The SRT reader skips empty lines at the beginning of the file.

2010-03-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Build system: bug fix: Fixed the configure script and compilation on OpenSolaris.

2010-02-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Installer: bug fix: The "jobs" directory in the application data folder is removed during uninstallation if the user requests it. Fix for bug 474.
* mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed granulepos calculation when extracting Vorbis tracks into Ogg files. Fix for bug 473.

2010-02-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* All: bug fix: The programs will no longer abort with an error message if a selected interface translation is not available. The "C" locale is used instead. Fix for bug 472.

2010-02-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: enhancement: Improved the error resilience when dealing with damaged Matroska files. When a damaged part is encountered reading will continue at the next cluster.

2010-02-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the handling of UTF-16 encoded chapter names in MP4/MOV files.

2010-02-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Some Matroska files contain h.264/AVC tracks lacking their CodecPrivate element (e.g. files created by gstreamer's muxer). For such tracks the CodecPrivate element (the AVCC) is re-created from the bitstream. Fix for bug 470.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: MP4 files that do contain edit lists but whose edit lists do not span the entire file are processed properly. Such files are created by current x264 builds. Fix for bug 469.

2010-02-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Build system: Fixed configure for systems on which 'echo' does not support the '-n' parameter (e.g. Mac OS).
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

Old 25th March 2010, 20:24   #1490  |  Link
b66pak

thanks...
_
Old 26th March 2010, 05:21   #1491  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@Mosu
A minor thing: sha1sums.txt in http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/ is too old
and not helpful. Ty
Old 26th March 2010, 07:33   #1492  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

I love mkvtoolnix! Thanks Mosu et al. for the update!
Old 26th March 2010, 11:06   #1493  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

after installation v3.3.0 windows 7 (prof) complains that the program was probably not properly installed. anybody had the same issue?
Old 26th March 2010, 17:59   #1494  |  Link
73ChargerFan

Confirmed. Windows 7x64 doesn't like the new installer; I got a UAC shield on the install app immediately after download. Gui app is fine.
Old 27th March 2010, 01:52   #1495  |  Link
asc28

Remuxing telecined material (Tried NTSC telecined MPEG2 from DVD) doesn't seem to work anymore with 3.3.0... video speed is not in sync. Tried specifying fps (24/1.001 and 30/1.001) but doesn't work.

Perhaps, it's mistaking it for pure interlaced? Any ideas?

FYI Remuxing an older mkv file with the newer version is fine, as it doesn't re-create the timecodes.

Last edited by asc28; 27th March 2010 at 02:21.
Old 27th March 2010, 18:29   #1496  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
@Mosu
A minor thing: sha1sums.txt in http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/ is too old
and not helpful. Ty
Dang. Thanks for noticing. I've updated the file.

Old 27th March 2010, 18:33   #1497  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
after installation v3.3.0 windows 7 (prof) complains that the program was probably not properly installed. anybody had the same issue?
Can't reproduce. I'm using Win7 Professional 64bit myself. My user doesn't have admin privileges.

So what I'm seeing is:

1. Download finishes.
2. I start the setup.exe, UAC kicks in and asks me for the administrator's password.
3. Setup starts. I answer all questions with the default answer.
4. The installer finishes, closes normally, everything's done.

So please give me more details about your system, the user you're running the setup under, any options you chose differently than I did etc etc etc.

Old 27th March 2010, 18:34   #1498  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc28 View Post
Remuxing telecined material (Tried NTSC telecined MPEG2 from DVD) doesn't seem to work anymore with 3.3.0... video speed is not in sync. Tried specifying fps (24/1.001 and 30/1.001) but doesn't work.
I've forwarded the problem to the person who contributed the new MPEG timecode calculation method. I hope he can shed some light on this problem.

Old 27th March 2010, 18:35   #1499  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Confirmed. Windows 7x64 doesn't like the new installer; I got a UAC shield on the install app immediately after download. Gui app is fine.
??? I don't understand your problem. The installer requires admin privileges, so I don't see why the UAC coming up should be considered "does not work".

Old 28th March 2010, 11:28   #1500  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc28 View Post
Can you please upload a source file for me for testing purposes? It doesn't have to be the whole file, but it should be long enough that the speed problem becomes obvious. You can upload to my FTP server (see my signature).

Also I need some more information:

1. Which program did you use for extracting the MPEG2 from the DVD? Do you mux the .VOB file directly with mkvmerge or has the video been extracted to separate MPEG2 elementary or program streams?

2. Which program do you use for playback? We know that older versions of ffmpeg (and therefore ffdshow) contain a bug that causes it to play video too slow or too fast.

3. "Video speed is not in sync" -- do you mean that the video plays slower/faster than the accompanying audio track?

Closed Thread