Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 5th March 2011, 01:19   #1  |  Link
danielcalado7

Picture quality (in terms of Levels or something like that)

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie and very glad to join any forum that partly regards such marvelous technology as Avisynth and VirtualDub.

I have this little challenge I believe is simple but I cannot overcome it. How do I achieve the picture quality of case2 starting from case1?
Here are the frames:
case1
http://img594.imageshack.us/f/case1q.png/
case2
http://img52.imageshack.us/i/case2.png/

Is there any filter that does that?
I've tried the Levels filter, of course, but there's more to it.
Does anyone know of a 'detailer' filter for B&W? (I'm not sure it is required to achieve the quality of case 2 but I'm interested anyway).
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Daniel Calado.
danielcalado7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 14:43   #2  |  Link
Stereodude

I'm not sure why you would want to go from #1 to #2. #2 has crushed blacks and compression artifacts.

But, you need to crop the black borders on #1, adjust the levels, resize it, and sharpen it.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 17:10   #3  |  Link
manono

Welcome to the forum,

The 2 pics aren't from the same frame or even the same source, and there's no telling whether or not what works for a single frame works for the rest of the movie. In addition, I don't know if you did anything to the frames when taking the pics and converting to RGB. but:

Crop(20,0,-6,-20)
LanczosResize(640,480)
Levels(1,0.44,255,0,255,Coring=False)
Tweak(Bright=19,Cont=1.27,Coring=False)

will get you in the general ballpark. To help you in the work you can put on:

Histogram()

and/or:

ColorYUV(Analyze=True)
Limiter(Show="Luma")

If by 'detailer', you mean a sharpener, AviSynth has a number of sharpeners available.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 22:46   #4  |  Link
danielcalado7

Thank you very much for your help, Stereodude and Manono.
Sorry for the delay, I haven't had time to post.

Yes, it needs to be resized and croped but I only meant picture quality (I was too lazy to resize and crop before uploading the frame).

Stereodude, case 2 is compressed indeed but the picture in terms of levels (or something like that) looks 'Film Noir' and more professional. case 1 to me looks like something incomplete (I get a tremendous feeling that I'm only watching greys, no blacks at all).

Manono, thanks for your effort, I will try everything you sugested and will get back to this thread.

Quote:
"The 2 pics aren't from the same frame or even the same source, and there's no telling whether or not what works for a single frame works for the rest of the movie."
True. I didn't do anything to them, I just changed the aspect ratio of case 1.
Both sources are from different filmprints (the credits are different). But the uploading images correspond to the same frame, the thing is: compression and levels changed the expression on the actor's face a lot.

As I understand it, detailer doesn't necessarily mean sharpener. Sometimes, sharpening only adds noise to the pic. This is something else that I once heard of. It probably is something that involves edges. That's my opinion. But I guess I'll ask the very person who mention it.
Right now, I will try what you offered me.

Thanks a lot for everything.
All the best.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:25   #5  |  Link
danielcalado7

Many Thanks.

Manono,
Sorry for this tremendous delay, but have been busy as hell lately.
I tried your settings and they were just great but unfortunately only great with that particular shot, other shots diverge from your solution. Anyway, I decided to just buy that broadcast recording in DVD-video from a collector and will mask the network logo using the other print (the supposedly official DVD).
Very grateful for your help.
Take Care and Happy Easter,
Daniel.

Tags
detailer, filter, levels, photography, virtualdub