Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 18th January 2015, 18:10   #1  |  Link
Max147

PB recording quality with acquisition card avermedia C985

Hello,
I have a avermedia C985 capture card, I used me to save my games console sessions via a splitter. Until then no worries.
But now I would like to also record Grand Prix motorcycle or Formula 1 via my satellite box.
I did some tests but I think the quality is not outstanding, all that is in the foreground is in focus but the background seems to me to shake. Basically as soon as there is movement blur.
Yet I record in 1080p with 16 mo for speed and 25 fps.
I do not know if it comes from maladjustment or if the card is not suitable for what I would do.
Here is a small sample of what happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr4DxSl1npk
Does anyone have an idea of the problem?
best regards
Max147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 19:22   #2  |  Link
ChiDragon

This is a known problem with this device and many others designed for recording high-def game consoles: no support for interlaced capture. Your 50Hz high-action source is being blended down to 25 fps.

You may be able to force a decent 720p50 capture, either by setting the output of the satellite box to that resolution or by having the C985 itself do the conversion. That's assuming either of them is able to do this conversion, and at an acceptable quality level.
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 20:41   #3  |  Link
Max147

Thank you for answering

I understand what you have told me.

I have tried many settings with my current card and nothing conclusive.

Do you have a pci card to advise me capable of recording scenes in 50 Hz at least 720p, I looked I saw 700 €. It may be as little extreme rate.

Best Regards.
Max147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:47   #4  |  Link
ChiDragon

There are plenty of options, especially if you have a fast computer and are willing to use realtime software encoding. For H.264 hardware encoder cards there is the Hauppauge Colossus; I think some of AVerMedia's can capture interlaced but I don't know which without researching.

I don't know your system specs or what's available in/to your country so I can't really offer specific advice. Certainly you don't need to spend anywhere near 700 Euros.
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 12:07   #5  |  Link
Darksoul71
Can you blush ?

@Max147: Prior giving any advice it would be interesting what "Hardware" you are using, e.g. what TV set, what STB, how are TV and STB connected, what outputs does your STB have ?
Darksoul71 is offline   Reply With Quote