Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 10th December 2013, 16:17   #1  |  Link
enchant

DVD copying for the technically challenged

My 80-year-old father recently had a boatload of old home movies converted to DVDs. He's asked me to make some copies for him, but I get the feeling that his needs are going to be great and ongoing, as he wants to hand more of these out to friends and family.

He's got WinXP on his PC, and his wife has Vista. Both of them have DVD writers, but the only copying software I know of is fairly complicated to use, and I was hoping there was something that is hopefully free, and fairly simple to use. Nero is NOT it.

If anyone knows of something that's low on options and steps to copy a DVD, I'd appreciate the pointer.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 16:55   #2  |  Link

Get DVDDecrypter. Then simply do Mode/ISO Read on the source disk. Then Mode/ISO Write on the fresh disk.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 16:56   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

< JOKE > Assuming he'll live enough to see all the movies </ JOKE >, any burning suite I know has a CD/DVD-copy module. There catch is that the CD/DVDs must be free of copyright protections. I believe both XP and Vista (sure) have rudimentary burning engines in the system, so you could do the same even in the absence of a burning suite. The restrictions still apply.
Otherwise, there are (were ) suites special designed for copying - like DiskJuggler or Prassi, if you find Nero difficult you'd be killed by them.
My advice is therefore to buy a duplicator with automated arms - so you put the originals in one holder the blanks in another and press COPY. These run however in the 2000€ domain, which becomes however relatively cheap for 1000 or more copies.
Old 10th December 2013, 17:44   #4  |  Link
enchant

Thanks, folks. I'll check out DVDDecrypter (I'm pretty sure I installed that at some point in the past). Anything that has "suite" in the name is probably going to be too complicated.
Old 10th December 2013, 17:59   #5  |  Link
enchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Get DVDDecrypter. Then simply do Mode/ISO Read on the source disk. Then Mode/ISO Write on the fresh disk.
I don't know if there's a configuration I've missed. I tried that, and upon writing, it wanted to know where the image was. As a non-80-year-old, I can figure this out, but my dad doesn't understand the concept of directory hierarchies.
Old 10th December 2013, 18:33   #6  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchant View Post
I don't know if there's a configuration I've missed. I tried that, and upon writing, it wanted to know where the image was. As a non-80-year-old, I can figure this out, but my dad doesn't understand the concept of directory hierarchies.
The image is where you wrote it. Sorry to hear that your Dad is clueless, but surely you can teach him what he needs to know. If not, well then maybe your goal is not realistic.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 08:49   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
... well then maybe your goal is not realistic.
If he's computer illiterate then I believe there's no way of him doing for himself this job. I had to train half-so-old people in computers and it wasn't an easy job.
I believe he's more versed with VHS, so maybe he can do this kind of job, namely copying to VHS from a DVD player.
I sense that you're not happy to copy that bunch of DVDs for him on and on ...
Old 11th December 2013, 23:48   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

@enchant

Hi!

1) How many unique DVDs did your father have created from his home videos?

2) Do you have experience duplicating unprotected DVDs? If so, what software do you use for this purpose? How long does it take your hardware to generate one single-layered duplicate? One double-layered duplicate?

3) At most, how many of each unique DVD might your father want to distribute? I would think it would be a nice gesture if you, as son or daughter, made the needed copies for your father.

4) Another thought - Have you considered setting up a website, and providing a link for your father's friends to use, so they can simply download whatever they choose. This way, you won't have to make multiple copies.

Last edited by setarip_old; 11th December 2013 at 23:51.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 09:07   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
4) Another thought - Have you considered setting up a website, and providing a link for your father's friends to use, so they can simply download whatever they choose. This way, you won't have to make multiple copies.
Download also implies a folder structure his old man is not accustomed with.

I agree that the safest method is to do the some dozens copies instead of teaching his father how to do it. It's a full day work, very much like the one his father and his mother did with him when he was 2 weeks old.
Old 14th December 2013, 02:26   #10  |  Link
manolito

I strongly disagree that older folks cannot learn to use computers. It sometimes takes a good teacher, though.

I frequently help people who see themselves as "computer illiterate", and if you really look hard enough, you can always find software which is easy and intuitive to use (no need to buy Apple).

For DVD copying of course most burning suites have a "Copy DVD" button, but the sheer number of features intimidates people. Two programs in this category which are relatively easy to use are "Express Burn" by NCH software and "Ashampoo Burning Studio Free".

But for your father's needs I suggest that you check out "IQmango". Have a look here:
http://iqmango.com/DVDCopy.html

Almost nothing to set up (just the desired temp folder), very limited features, but easy to use, and it works. The company is from Cyprus (I thought all this stuff comes from China these days), and the only thing you have to be careful about is that they try to install a toolbar during installation. So be careful and click "Skip" on this setup screen.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 18:41   #11  |  Link
Taurus

@enchant
Just do yourself a favour.
Rip all DVD's to ISO's on their harddisks by yourself.
Imgburn can do this for you (just make sure there is no copyright protection on the disks).
Or just use good ol DVDdecrypter for the task.
Later they just doubleclick on the ISO's in explorer or anywhere,
Imgburn pops up, they insert a blank DVD, just hit the "Burn " button" and your gone .
Just make sure the names of the the ISO's have some meaningful content they understand,
or otherwise you will get phonecalls at night "What does Videokjnsdfjh.iso means?"
And make sure to set the right burn speed for their blank DVD'S.
Or they will get toasters and you will get phonecalls
Many a times I have to work with PC noobs or older people,
even a task which seems oversimple to you might get them frustrated.
So be gentle to them and your nerves.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote