Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 26th May 2010, 09:23   #1  |  Link
vickynash

How to encode!

Hey guys i have an DVD5 source and i want to convert this to mkv,

the things i ve tried doing are:
i ve joined the multiple VOB files using vobmerge and made a single file, and thn i tried to convert this using megui, but was unable to add it to the avisynth script due to this error
, then

i ve converted this to mkv by using mkvmerge and was successfull, but my main result is to reduce the size of it which i normally do using megui, so i ve tried using this mkv file as source and tried to convert but when i am tryin to do so the system is shutting down when the task reaches 23% and this happened almost 4times from yesterday,

so can anyone help me on how to encode a VOB file to mkv using megui.

Sorry if am being dumb i ve jus started to learn, so plz help me guys.
vickynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 12:41   #2  |  Link
vickynash

hey guys jus an update , i ve tried creating an DGV index and the avisynth script was created later thn i loaded my settings and i started the jobs, but after starting, the preprocessing almost went on for 30min(and still goin),does it tak so much time

here is my config, if u thnk the jobs depend on it:
pentium D 3.0Ghz processor
3Gb Ram
1Gb Nvidia Graphic card
320Gb HDD
Old 26th May 2010, 12:50   #3  |  Link
Buggle

Well, for starters you do not need to join the VOB files, they are loaded in DGIndex automatically after you load the first belonging to a series.
Then it would be helpful if you posted your Avisynth script, and tell us exactly which things you clicked on, as I personally never experience preprocessing when encoding movies. I wouldn't know what that preprocessing would be (the only exception being audio).
Old 26th May 2010, 12:57   #4  |  Link
vickynash

as the source is DVD5 and i ve got 5 video_ts files and i ve added the first one and then the dgindex was created for all, as u said thr was no need fr me to add the rest and the avisynth script was created and i loaded my settings queued my jobs and jus started thm thn thn status window opened up and its showing PREPROCESSING PLEASE WAIT, thts it
Old 26th May 2010, 13:25   #5  |  Link
Buggle

First the question if you used the buttons "Queue Analysis Pass" or "Add pre-rendering job", because x264 does not need preprocessing if you use the DGIndex.
You Avisynth script should be as empty as possible to first play a bit. Something like this (of course, use the autocropping of MeGUI and the recommended resize of MeGUI instead of these values here). You will probably know where you saved your *.avs file, probably thesame place as your d2v file is, which is probably again in the same place as your vob files.

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\..\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("path to *.d2v")
crop( 10, 72, -8, -74)
Spline36Resize(704,288) # Spline36 (Neutral)
Undot() # Minimal Noise

But I'm guessing you will be encoding NTSC material, with which I have no experience at all since I have the luck of living in a PAL region.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:36   #6  |  Link
vickynash

ya ur ryt my d2v,avs are saved in the same place as of my vob source is, and i havent even changed my o/p destination so the o/p path fr all are same,and as u said my source is an NTSC , and i havent selected queue analysis pass nor add pre-rendering as i wanted set my average bitrate and file size which appears whn i press autoencode.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:47   #7  |  Link
vickynash

plz help me guys

Last edited by vickynash; 26th May 2010 at 16:53.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:57   #8  |  Link
Buggle

Ah there's the answer. This will likely be the analysis that MeGUI does to find out what kind of video you are feeding it.
I suggest you refrain for now from using AutoEncode, since doing it manually will teach you a lot more about video encoding. Just open the AVS Script Creator under "Tools" en load your d2v file. Then press Auto crop en check resize and recommended size, depending on the bitrate you want to use and complexity of the movie you will have to bring the size down. on the next tab you can click on 'Analyse', which you need to do since you have NTSC (this is probably the 'preprocessing' you talked about, it can take some time). It will automatically configure the Telecine options and such. Then choose your resizing algorithm, I personally use Spline36, but that choice as well depends on a few factors like bitrate and visual needs. In the third tab you can see the resulting script. If you click save it will automatically load the script in MeGUI and you can configure x264's options by clicking on Config and then in the next screen on "Load Defaults". Change "Const. Quality" to 2pass if you need to use a certain bitrate. Optionally, you can also choose a 'tuning' for Film, Anime and such. Click on OK and then enqueue your encode. Go to the jobs list and start the enqued job. It will start and run with no problems.

This will be the starting point. You can play with settings and look at the results, to learn about what it is what you are doing. Valuable resources are for instance the website of Avisynth, where many internal options are explained that you can use in your script, and the filter collection by Fizzick, which you just need to google for. As for x264's options, just use the built-in presets slider for now, it works fine.

Oh and of course the audio part! I suggest you use Nero AAC, you need to download it from Nero's website, google it or look for it on hydrogenaudio.org (don't know if the link is here also) and extract it somewhere before you can tell where MeGUI to find it and subsequently use it (again, depending on what you want with the resulting video, you will have to choose a setting).

Last edited by Buggle; 26th May 2010 at 14:07.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:08   #9  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickynash View Post
cmon guys sm1 help me, i waited 5days to start a thread and kept on refreshin this page fr every 5min from the time i ve posted it expecting some help frm u guys, plz help me
Please read and follow forum rule 12 (and all the other rules) or you will get yourself into trouble. Thank you.

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:52   #10  |  Link
vickynash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggle View Post
Ah there's the answer. This will likely be the analysis that MeGUI does to find out what kind of video you are feeding it.
I suggest you refrain for now from using AutoEncode, since doing it manually will teach you a lot more about video encoding. Just open the AVS Script Creator under "Tools" en load your d2v file. Then press Auto crop en check resize and recommended size, depending on the bitrate you want to use and complexity of the movie you will have to bring the size down. on the next tab you can click on 'Analyse', which you need to do since you have NTSC (this is probably the 'preprocessing' you talked about, it can take some time). It will automatically configure the Telecine options and such. Then choose your resizing algorithm, I personally use Spline36, but that choice as well depends on a few factors like bitrate and visual needs. In the third tab you can see the resulting script. If you click save it will automatically load the script in MeGUI and you can configure x264's options by clicking on Config and then in the next screen on "Load Defaults". Change "Const. Quality" to 2pass if you need to use a certain bitrate. Optionally, you can also choose a 'tuning' for Film, Anime and such. Click on OK and then enqueue your encode. Go to the jobs list and start the enqued job. It will start and run with no problems.

This will be the starting point. You can play with settings and look at the results, to learn about what it is what you are doing. Valuable resources are for instance the website of Avisynth, where many internal options are explained that you can use in your script, and the filter collection by Fizzick, which you just need to google for. As for x264's options, just use the built-in presets slider for now, it works fine.

Oh and of course the audio part! I suggest you use Nero AAC, you need to download it from Nero's website, google it or look for it on hydrogenaudio.org (don't know if the link is here also) and extract it somewhere before you can tell where MeGUI to find it and subsequently use it (again, depending on what you want with the resulting video, you will have to choose a setting).

this is wat i ve done man, but the problem is i am getting stucked at the preprocesing its taking more than 30min, and i ve tried using add pre rendering and queue analysis pass, i was able to encode but i am havin a crash, not jus the application but a system crash, it happend more thrice, any other solutions plz,

and i really appreciate ur concern in replyin to me, thnx a lot
Old 26th May 2010, 16:54   #11  |  Link
vickynash

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Please read and follow forum rule 12 (and all the other rules) or you will get yourself into trouble. Thank you.

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm
thnk u fr lettin me knw,i felt lyk i was being ignored so felt bad and replied lyk tht .
Old 26th May 2010, 17:29   #12  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Hey guys i have an DVD5 source and i want to convert this to mkv
Just load the DVD into "MakeMKV"...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:46   #13  |  Link
vickynash

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post

Just load the DVD into "MakeMKV"...
thnx fr replyin but read my post fully, i am able to do tht using mkvmerge, but i need to do tht using MEGUI as i need to reduce the size while retainin some quality as well
Old 26th May 2010, 21:06   #14  |  Link
vickynash

jus an another update, i am able to encode the video but i am unable to encode audio file, thts where i am gettin stuck with the pre-processing, plz help me guys
Old 28th May 2010, 11:32   #15  |  Link
Buggle

Quote:
thnx fr replyin but read my post fully, i am able to do tht using mkvmerge, but i need to do tht using MEGUI as i need to reduce the size while retainin some quality as well
MKVmerge btw just puts your MPEG2 video and audio streams directly into the mkv container. No encoding whatsoever is done.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:33   #16  |  Link
Buggle

Quote:
jus an another update, i am able to encode the video but i am unable to encode audio file, thts where i am gettin stuck with the pre-processing, plz help me guys
Preprocessing for audio is normal: it needs to find the gain and stuff. It will take some time, but not that much. Just let it go for a while, it'll take off once it has analysed the source.
Old 12th June 2010, 05:40   #17  |  Link
vickynash

I ve resolved this issue, thnx fr helpin guys