Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 1st March 2005, 20:48   #1  |  Link
ian UK

DVD to AVI sound question

Hi

I have a problem with getting AVI that I can edit in Pinnacle Studio8 from a DVD.

I have decrypted the DVD using DVDDecrypter and followed the steps for AVI. Then used the AutoGK application to convert to AVI. THis processes OK. When I play the result I had no sound initially but was kindly guided to download AC3filter which allowed me to hear the sound with windows media player.

SO I have got an AVI file which plays back fine in windows media player. I then loaded it into Pinnacle Studio 8. This processed the file to idenfiy scene changes. Unfortunately when played still no sound within Studio8.

I am going to try to convert it to MPEG2 and see if that works instead but any pointers here would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Ian UK

ian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 21:51   #2  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

I can't help you with Pinnacle but why are you converting DVD (MPEG2) to AVI (MPEG4) and then back to MPEG2?
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 22:01   #3  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

AVI can be used as an interim step for editing, if necessary. But when doing so, usually a lossless codec is selected; that's what they're for. MPEG-1/2/4 are poor choices for interim steps, because they are lossy, and because there are interdependencies between frames due to MPEG's Group of Pictures (GOP) technology.
Old 1st March 2005, 22:14   #4  |  Link
ian UK

I was using the pinnacle edit software because I know it. I wanted to bring some video shot by someone else into a DVD from material that i have shot. The video shot by some one else was provided to me on a DVD. The Pnnacle software converts its DV direct from the camera play back and saves out as a single AVI.
Old 1st March 2005, 22:27   #5  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Your soundtrack problem is due to it being in Dolby Digital (.ac3) format.

Your camera stores its video in DV format; this is a lossy codec stored in AVI containers on PC. The "capture" you do over IEE-1394 (FireWire) is actually just a bit-for-bit copy from the camera. Sound on DV is usually in Linear PCM (.wav) format. For more on DV, see our DV Forum.

Since your question is really about using Pinnacle with DVD sources, I'm moving your thread to the Non Linear Editing forum.

Last edited by jggimi; 1st March 2005 at 22:29.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 23:18   #6  |  Link
ian UK

Thanks for the info. Yes you have got it. So, is there any way that I can make the sound into the plain .wav format?
Thanks for all the help so far.

Ian UK
Old 2nd March 2005, 00:09   #7  |  Link

Demux the audio using DGMPGDec (or equivalent) and convert it to WAV using BeSweetGUI (or equivalent).
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2005, 08:31   #8  |  Link
ian UK

Dear Neuron2,
Thanks for the pointer. Just before I download and start that, are there guides on getting this process? I presume i need to take the AC3 audio and process that, before multiplexing into the MPEG2 file?
Or do I make the AVI with auotGK after processing with dgmpgdec?
Sorry to ask so much and very graetful for help.

IanUK
Old 2nd March 2005, 14:15   #9  |  Link

Ian, please stay focused on one thing. First, you wanted to know how to convert the audio so Pinnacle could use it. Now, you're talking about making an MPEG2. Let's define what your overall problem and goal is before we discuss process. What is your input and desired output?
Old 3rd March 2005, 12:44   #10  |  Link
ian UK

My objective is really quite simple.

I have a dvd which has some material on it that I want to edit into a program that I am editing on the pinnacle software. When pinnacle stores the out put from my dv camera it stores it in .avi format.

I have tried the .avi that comes out of autoGK and there is no sound present when played in pinnacle also I found that pinnacle gave a bit of a complaint on the preview fram of each scene saying that there was a 3 frame out of sync problem.

SO this not working I thought, OK I'll try MPEG2. I then created an MPEG2 file and used the Ac3 Delay Corrector to correct a 50ms delay. All that seemed to work fine and play with windows media player fine.

I imported the MPEG2 into pinnacle and this foundall the scenes correctly. But there was no sound. This was where I took your point on the dolby sound.

My next plan was to convert the AC3 to pcm sound and remultiplex this into the MPEG2. Theory being that this would not upset pinnacle and I would have got where I wanted to be.

Your guidance would be very much appreciated.

Ian UK
Old 3rd March 2005, 15:15   #11  |  Link

Use DGMPGDec to serve the video into VirtualDub. The DGMPGDec distribution contains a Quick Start guide that explains how to do that. When you create the D2V file, you'll also demux the AC3 audio into a file of its own. Convert the AC3 audio to WAV using BeSweetGUI (or equivalent). Now load the WAV audio in VirtualDub along with the D2V file. Select an output compression. You could use DV if you like. Then do Save AVI. You'll set the audio offset in VirtualDub as specified in the filename of the AC3 file.

Get started on the process and post again if you run into any questions or problems.
Old 3rd March 2005, 20:48   #12  |  Link
ian UK

Dear Neuron2

Its going pretty well. I have processed the vob using DGIndex and made a .avs which works in VirtualDub.

I cannot quite work out what to do in order to get my audio from AC3into two chaneel .wav so that I can put it all back together in VirtualDub. Do I use DGindex, I cannot quite work out what to do to create that Demux'd audio file.

A little guidance here - most welome.

Ian UK
Old 3rd March 2005, 21:44   #13  |  Link

When you have the VOBs open in DGIndex, select Audio/Output Method/Demux All Tracks. Then do Save Project. You will get the AC3 file in the same directory as the D2V file. Now get BeSweet and BeSweetGUI from the Doom9 download page. Start up the GUI and select Wizard. Answer the simple questions and then Go. You'll get a WAV. Then load the WAV using the VirtualDub audio menu. Get the number of milliseconds offset from the AC3 file name. Put that into Audio/Interleaving/ Audio skew correction. Select compressor and save AVI.
Old 3rd March 2005, 23:38   #14  |  Link
ian UK

Dear Neuron2,

I have managed to get an AVI file out which has audio and plays properly. Fantastic!

What compression would you recceomend I select for optimum results?

Ian UK

Last edited by ian UK; 3rd March 2005 at 23:50.
Old 4th March 2005, 00:59   #15  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by ian UK
I have managed to get an AVI file out which has audio and plays properly. Fantastic!

What compression would you recommend I select for optimum results?
Well, if you got through all that, you've just graduated with honors from Newbie College. Congratulations!

The right codec for your intermediate editing depends on how much disk space you have. Ideally, you'd like to use a lossless codec like HUFFYUV (see Doom9 full download page). But depending upon your disk space and video length, you may not have enough space for the output file. If that is the case, then I would use MJPEG (e.g., PicVideo), or DV. Of course, you can also use DixX or XviD with a high bitrate. The idea is to use the best quality you have space for.

The right codec for final output depends upon your target medium. Are you going back to DVD? If so, you'll need an MPEG2 encoder. Otherwise, XviD is always a sound choice.

Last edited by Guest; 4th March 2005 at 01:01.
Old 4th March 2005, 09:16   #16  |  Link
ian UK

Dear Neuron2,
Yes I got through it thank you for your help.
As regards the codec:
I am going back to DVD, but looking down the list of compressions in VirtualDub I can't see one which says either DV or MPEG2. Do I need to down load one or what?

Still working on it...

IAn UK
Old 6th March 2005, 19:42   #17  |  Link
ian UK

Thanks for all your help with the tools. There is so much here its warming. I now have a completed DVD with the material I needed. A great result. This is a great forum and a fantastic resource. Thanks to all the contributors and may it long continue.