Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th April 2004, 19:01   #1  |  Link
GParent

DVDShrink Mixed-Compression

RE: DVD Shrink Re-author Mode Mixed-Ratios.

There is a Shrink guide for version 3.0B5:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/mixed-compressions.php

With the last release of DVDShrink (3.1.7.6), the user interface is a little different from (3.0B5). Do you still follow the above mixed-compression guide for 3.1.x.x. And do you still have to select the entire movie (Start-End) after you do all your custom ratios?

It always seemed weird that last step was necessary. You have to select the entire movie from start of chapter one to the last frame of the last chapter, then merely click OK, and do nothing else. It would have been more logic to have DVD Shrink assume that all parts of the movie that were not custom ratios, would simply be Automatic.
GParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2004, 20:39   #2  |  Link
zamarky1

Hiya

i was wondering exactly the same thing. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

M
zamarky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2004, 00:58   #3  |  Link
Kedirekin

To the best of my knowledge, this undocumented feature works the same in the newer versions.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I always thought the last step basically told DVDShrink that you wanted to re-author the entire movie (with varying compression levels). If you skip that last step, wouldn't the program think it's only supposed to re-author the last start/end section you defined?
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2004, 20:09   #4  |  Link
ddlooping
Classified

Hi all.

Mixed-compression in v3.1.x does work in exactly the same way.

I'd like to correct a mistake I made in my guide though.
The last selection doesn't have to be the whole title.
It just have to be whatever you want to backup.
ddlooping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2004, 22:56   #5  |  Link
GParent

>> The last selection doesn't have to be the whole title.
It just have to be whatever you want to backup. <<

Ahhhh, the missing puzzle piece. <g>

Now, it all makes sense. Thanks for that tid bit!!!!!!!!!
GParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 00:37   #6  |  Link
ddlooping
Classified

You're welcome.

My mistake in the first place.
Old 1st May 2004, 18:59   #7  |  Link
zamarky1

Hiya

@ddlooping

Thanks for your guides, they sure helped me thru my "initiation" into the fascinating world of shiny disc's.

Do you have any intention of producing a guide with current version screen shots ?

Its not a biggie , but i like to re-read guides over and over as i use programs to make sure i am aware of all features. Because the guides and current version screen shts are out of sync you never know just what might be lurking behind a button you never really use too much.......

Thanks for your input and indeed everyone on doom9. Some really REALLY clever people hang out here and on the other side lots of really interesting and constructive questions posed by noobes (me)which help us all learn new tricks......although i'm definately a one trick pony.....

Regards

Mark
Old 1st May 2004, 19:16   #8  |  Link
ddlooping
Classified

Hi Mark,

I intent to update the guides, but would rather wait a bit longer before to do so, just in case dvdshrink - the author - adds/changes some features.
(even though DVD Shrink development has officially ended)
Old 1st May 2004, 19:38   #9  |  Link
zamarky1

hi ddlooping

hmmm if you were a girl in a pub we'd have a name for you....lets just say thats a big tease *wink*

But thanks much for the input. Would't it be FANTASTIC if anyting NEW were added or changed ...hmmm

regards

Mark
Old 1st May 2004, 20:05   #10  |  Link
ddlooping
Classified

He he

Seriously though, I honestly don't know if DVD Shrink will ever be updated.