Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 19th December 2007, 00:08   #1  |  Link
Yo

Nero 8?

I'm not sure if this is the most relevant forum for this topic, but I didn't see any more relevant. Since Nero Recode is one of the major tools for encoding AVC video, there is certainly some relevance. If you (moderator) think this post would fit better in a different forum, then please move it.

Are there any improvements to Nero 8 (over Nero 7), in the areas of video and audio encoding? Any improvements to Nero Recode? Any improvements to the audio encoding capabillity of Nero Burning ROM?

The new features that are advertised don't sound very worthwhile to me--cosmetic changes, "improvements" to "StartSmart" (which I never use anyhow, and don't install), the ability to export to Youtube, etc. (I don't see the point at all of the latter, although I'm not a big youtube person. I have uploaded to YT before, and it's very easy, directly from the YT web site. You can upload in any format, and they convert it to their .flv format.)

However, I don't know if there are some real improvements in encoding functionality, that unfortunately have not been advertised. Are there any? Please be specific.

Also, one very annoying thing about Nero 7, was that "Nero Scout" would install automatically, to run in the background all the time on the computer. And even with a custom installation, one does not have the choice not to install that app. No way to uninstall it either. There were freeware apps that could disable it, like Nerofix and others. (Although Nero comes out with frequent minor updates, it was a hassle after each minor update to have to go through the process of disabling Nero Scout again, so I finally stopped updating, and stuck with the version I had.) Is that annoying intrusiveness still there in Nero 8, the forced installation of Nero Scout? If so, do the scout-disabling utilities from Nero 7, work to do the same on Nero 8?

Thank you for your input.
Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 00:33   #2  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

For now i think no. There isn't any improvements, since nero 7, only small bugfixes.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 02:02   #3  |  Link
Mtz

Nero Recode from version 8 fixed a bug regarding mobile encoding. I don't remember what bug was, sorry.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 15:08   #4  |  Link
mediator

The latest Nero 8 package (Nero 8.2) includes an updated version of Recode (version 3).

Recode 3 features alot of usability enhancements, an entirely new SP/ASP encoder with significantly improved encoding quality, support for directly copying AC-3 tracks from different sources to Nero Digital files, support for importing some new filetypes, easy-to-use interlaced encoding (only in selected profiles), very easy handling of non-square pixels, up-to-date profiles for PSP and iPod, files are automatically prepared for Flash-streaming, it does dynamic range compression (configurable) when transcoding AC-3 tracks, lots of bugfixes, and a couple of other things.

Hope you like it...
mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 16:41   #5  |  Link
Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
The latest Nero 8 package (Nero 8.2) includes an updated version of Recode (version 3).

Recode 3 features alot of usability enhancements, an entirely new SP/ASP encoder with significantly improved encoding quality, support for directly copying AC-3 tracks from different sources to Nero Digital files, support for importing some new filetypes, easy-to-use interlaced encoding (only in selected profiles), very easy handling of non-square pixels, up-to-date profiles for PSP and iPod, files are automatically prepared for Flash-streaming, it does dynamic range compression (configurable) when transcoding AC-3 tracks, lots of bugfixes, and a couple of other things.

Hope you like it...
Your reply is significantly different than that of the other posters, who wrote that there is not much improvement in encoding.

I notice though, that you write Nero 8.2. I thought the latest version was 8.1 something. I just looked at the Nero web site to check, and indeed there is version 8.2.8, just posted today, 12/19. (Funny the .8 at the end, when there has not been a version 8.2 before.) I'm downloading it as we speak, and I guess I'll try it out, as you say it has some real encoding improvements.

Do you work for Nero?

I'd still like to know whether Nero 8 still forcibly installs Nero Scout, etc., and doesn't give the user the choice not to install it. If so, I think that's a big mistake, and is disrespectful of its users. The user should have a choice, in a custom installation, whether or not to install that feature, running in the background all the time.

If so, what is the procedure for disabling it. Do utilities that disabled it in Nero 7, such as Nerofix, also work with Nero 8?
Old 19th December 2007, 17:51   #6  |  Link
mediator

The Scout thing is already taken care of and I hope it will be resolved to your satisfaction.
mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 20:02   #7  |  Link
grumpy

Nero 8.3?

I'm looking at the update page on the Nero website. About the new version, can you use avc in the mini hd-dvd authoring? It looks like no from the page, but there seems to be mixed signals. If not is that something that has a chance of being added soon? It has 1080i support, what are the other resolutions that can be used, and what frame rates? 720p or SD? Also, what are the requirements for encodes to pass through the avchd smart encoding?
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 20:41   #8  |  Link
Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
The Scout thing is already taken care of and I hope it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Are you saying that it is now the user's choice, at installation, whether to install Scout or not? I hope so.

If so, thank you very much (I am assuming you work for Nero) for making that change.

Can anyone here who has installed Nero 8 verify that? No more automatic startup programs installed without the user's consent?

Thanks again.
Old 19th December 2007, 20:50   #9  |  Link
Yo

Another question about installing Nero 8. If one has Nero 7 installed, I assume one should uninstall it, before installing 8.

Is the regular Uninstall routine in the Add/Remove programs in Control Panel sufficient for this? Or should one try to more thoroughly remove traces of Nero 7? Use the Nero 7 clean tool? Do a registry search for Nero and Ahead? Other cleaning apps? What is recommended for this?