Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2018, 16:46   #5081  |  Link
Inviska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Try letting mkvmerge redirect its output to a file (mkvmerge --identification-format json --redirect-output whatever.json --identify whatever.mkv) and then read that file. If the file is truncated, then it's likely that environment variables such as LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG play a part.
Thanks for your input. No problems reading the JSON file, and no problems reading the output if I run "cat output.json" in a QProccess. It's an incredibly strange issue that only occurs on MacOS with MKVToolNix 14+. Oh well, I'll admit defeat and go with a workaround for the Mac version.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 10th February 2018, 15:54   #5082  |  Link
Perenista

Following what I wrote here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...34#post1833334

I installed ffmpeg and tried this command:

https://imgur.com/a/i5qY6

Is this correct? Either is taking too much time or it's stuck there.
Old 10th February 2018, 21:02   #5083  |  Link
BlockABoots

I have a few episodes in mkv file format that i want to remove the Japanese language audio from but i have noticed if i add the 10 or so files to MKVToolNIX GUI input window it just seems to output 1 large file and not there own separate files, how do i get MKVToolNix to output each files individually?
Old 10th February 2018, 21:06   #5084  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Go to the "Preferences" → "Multiplexer" and set "When dropping files" to "Always ask the user". The drop the files & select the appropriate action from the dialog that'll pop up.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 10th February 2018, 21:24   #5085  |  Link
BlockABoots

Quote:
Go to the "Preferences" → "Multiplexer" and set "When dropping files" to "Always ask the user". The drop the files & select the appropriate action from the dialog that'll pop up.
Thanks, or though im not sure what option i need to select?

Each file lists...

MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264
AAC ENG
AAC JPN
SubRip/SRT

Is there a way i can select 'AAC JPN' for removal for all the episode files in 1 go or do i have to click on each episode individually and remove the AAC JPN?

Last edited by BlockABoots; 10th February 2018 at 21:27.
Old 10th February 2018, 21:33   #5086  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Well, on the shell (with "bash" or "zsh"; thinks will look differently with "cmd.exe" which I cannot help you with) you could do something like this:

Code:
for file in *.mkv ; do
  mkvmerge -o "out/$file" -a '!jpn' "$file"
done
If you want to use the GUI, you can use the "enable only certain tracks" feature: in the "preferences" go to "Multiplexer" → "Enabling tracks" and set the controls appropriately.

If you don't get that to work, you can still deselect the Japanese tracks manually.

Old 10th February 2018, 21:49   #5087  |  Link
BlockABoots

Quote:
If you want to use the GUI, you can use the "enable only certain tracks" feature: in the "preferences" go to "Multiplexer" → "Enabling tracks" and set the controls appropriately.
Yes that worked!, had to tick 'Video' and 'Subtitles' and then add 'English (eng)' to the 'selected' window. Then after that all files i added had the 'ACC JPN' line unticked. Thanks

Last edited by BlockABoots; 10th February 2018 at 21:52.
Old 10th February 2018, 21:52   #5088  |  Link
BlockABoots

Final question, is there a way to get the program to start 'multiplexing' all the files at once rather than having to click on each header tab and then selecting 'multiplexing'?
Old 10th February 2018, 21:56   #5089  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Why don't you have a look in the "Multiplexer" menu?

Old 10th February 2018, 21:59   #5090  |  Link
BlockABoots

And this program doesn't alter the quality of the video at all right?
Old 11th February 2018, 15:42   #5091  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockABoots View Post
And this program doesn't alter the quality of the video at all right?
Right. MKV is a container, not a codec.
Old 12th February 2018, 13:12   #5092  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Is there a fast and easy way to split a mkv from a wanted position to another wanted position in time?
Old 12th February 2018, 13:14   #5093  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

That's called "splitting by parts" in MKVToolNix.

Old 12th February 2018, 18:27   #5094  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
That's called "splitting by parts" in MKVToolNix.
I saw now and read the popup with description too.

My mind thought it was only to split in two parts.

Thanks.
Old 21st February 2018, 18:43   #5095  |  Link
Inviska

Regarding that problem where the output of mkvmerge -J is truncated after the first Unicode character when running MKVToolNix 14+ from a QProccess on MacOS, it was caused by LANG.

The problem specifically is that on MacOS LANG is not in the list of Qt system environment variables. Running printenv LANG on MacOS returns en_GB.UTF-8, so LANG is set on the system. However, if I print out the list of environment variables returned by the below, LANG isn't present on MacOS, though it is present on Linux.

Code:
QProcessEnvironment::systemEnvironment().toStringList().join('\n')
Setting LANG with proccess.setEnvironment(QStringList("LANG=en_GB.UTF-8")) resolves the problem of the output being truncated.

Two questions:

1) A since QProcessEnvironment::systemEnvironment() doesn't report LANG on MacOS there's no way to get the LANG for the system. I was therefore going to set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 on all systems. Would running MKVToolNix in en_US.UTF-8 create any problems on non-English systems?

2) Would you consider it an bug that LANG isn't present in the Qt systemEnvironment() on MacOS? If so I'll file a bug report with Qt.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:21   #5096  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviska View Post
1) A since QProcessEnvironment::systemEnvironment() doesn't report LANG on MacOS there's no way to get the LANG for the system. I was therefore going to set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 on all systems. Would running MKVToolNix in en_US.UTF-8 create any problems on non-English systems?
It shouldn't as I don't think anyone would ever run a mac with a non-UTF-8 locale (such as e.g. ISO-8859-15). Don't know if that is even possible.

As UTF-8 is Unicode, output should work regardless of system language and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviska View Post
2) Would you consider it an bug that LANG isn't present in the Qt systemEnvironment() on MacOS? If so I'll file a bug report with Qt.
I really couldn't say.

Old 23rd February 2018, 00:33   #5097  |  Link
Ripman

Thanks for the new version 19 & 20.

Based on your release announcements, we knew that certain options and features would be retired (e.g., text options files, -I).

So I was playing around and using the new -i. If I also use a -v for verbosity — it doesn’t seem to have an effect.

Is there a valid use case for making -i -v kind of like the old -I. I can’t say I ever used the extra info from the old -I (e..g., private codec data).

If that’s something you want to do one day, say as much and I’ll write it up.
Old 23rd February 2018, 07:13   #5098  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No. The old verbose identification format is gone for good. Use the JSON identification format instead. It contains all the information the verbose format did in a standardized format.

Old 24th February 2018, 11:22   #5099  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v21.0.0 released

Hey everyone.

It's time for MKVToolNix v21.0.0. The biggest change is that mkvinfo's GUI portion has been removed. Its functionality is now incorporated into MKVToolNix GUI. I am aware that the functionatliy isn't on par yet, but it will be in time for release v22.0.0.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries are available already. The Linux binaries are still being built and will be available of the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 21.0.0 "Tardigrades Will Inherit The Earth" 2018-02-24

## New features and enhancements

* mkvmerge: track statistics tags: the `TagDefault` element will not be written anymore as it was always set to the default value `1` anyway. Implements #2202.
* mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI: JSON files can now contain C++-style line comments outside of strings (e.g. something like this: `// this is ignored`). Such comments, even though not part of the official JSON specifications, are now ignored when reading JSON files.
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor: opening a Matroska file without chapters in it will now open the file in an empty chapter editor instead of showing an error message. Implements #2218.
* MKVToolNix GUI: an "info" tool has been added, replacing the functionality of mkvinfo's GUI. The functionality is not on par yet but will be for release v22. Implements most of the functionality of #2104.

## Bug fixes

* build system: `configure` was treating `--disable-ubsan` and `--disable-addrsan` the same as `--enable-ubsan` and `--enable-addrsan`. Fixes #2199.
* build system: an error message is output if a command to execute is not found instead of silently failing.
* build system: in addition to looking for the `gettext` C function and library, `configure` now also verifies the presence of the `msgfmt` program instead of simply relying on it.
* mkvmerge: appending files with additional parts at the same time was broken if more than one additional part was appended (e.g. when appending files from DVDs with something like `'(' VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB ')' + '(' VTS_02_1.VOB VTS_02_2.VOB ')'`). In such a situation the content from files `VTS_02_1.VOB` and `VTS_02_2.VOB` where laid out in parallel to the content from the earlier files.
* mkvmerge: FLV reader: a single invalid AAC frame was written for AAC audio tracks with codec initialization data longer than five bytes.
* mkvmerge: FLV reader: timestamps will be normalized down to 0. Fixes #2220.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: if an AAC track doesn't contain an AAC-specific decoder configuration in the ESDS portion, then a default decoder configuration will be generated based on the track's header data instead of skipping the track. Fixes #2221.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: fixed reading HEVC/h.265 video tracks if they're stored as Annex B byte streams inside MP4. Fixes #2215.
* mkvmerge: Ogg Opus reader: mkvmerge will now emit a warning instead of aborting when it encounters an Ogg Opus page with no data in the packet. Fixes #2217.
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: Matroska parser: fixed a segmentation fault that occurred whenever the first level 1 element after resyncing after an error in the file structure isn't a cluster. Fixes #2211.
* mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI multiplexer & header editor: fixed a crash during file type detection for attachments if MKVToolNix is installed in a path with non-ASCII characters (e.g. German Umlauts). Fixes #2212.
* mkvinfo: the `--hex-positions` parameter did nothing in summary mode.
* mkvinfo: Windows: line endings will be written as `\r\n` (carriage return & line feed) again instead of just `\n` (line feed).
* mkvpropedit: adding track statistics tags: for tracks with content encoding (compression) mkvpropedit is now accounting the uncompressed number of bytes, not the encoded (compressed) number of bytes. Fixes #2200.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the subtitle character set can now be set for appended subtitle files, too. Fixes #2214.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when appending, all tracks appended to disabled tracks will start out disabled, too.

## Build system changes

* mkvinfo: the GUI portion has been removed. mkvinfo is now a pure command-line program again.
Have fun

Old 24th February 2018, 12:28   #5100  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thx.

When flagging H.264 frames from mp4 as discardable is mkvmerge using mp4 container info (is there such info?) or is it parsing the H.264 bitstream? Because I see different results as when reading H.264 ES.
Closed Thread