Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2008, 19:41   #1  |  Link
arnezami

BDMV Debugger Congratulations (split from BD+ handling thread)

Just wanted to congratulate all you guys and especially Oopho2ei

I know how hard it can be and this is great work!
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 21:03   #2  |  Link
Oopho2ei

Thanks. Over 1300 guests are currently viewing this forum. I better make a backup of our repository...

I would like to stress again that this project wasn't intended to circumvent copy protection and promote piracy. This can already be done using commercial software like AnyDVD-HD. Instead this project was an attempt to enable users of open source operating systems (like linux) to playback their BD+ protected discs without having to use proprietary software. Furthermore only two movies "I Robot" and "The Day After Tomorrow" have been proven to be handled correctly so far. Obviously there is still a lot of debugging to be done.

Thanks to all the people who have contributed.

Last edited by Oopho2ei; 1st November 2008 at 21:32.
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:43   #3  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Grats guys!!!

~MiSfit
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:41   #4  |  Link
NSI

Just finished reading these 17 pages. Great story, had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next. Hollywood should be worried.

I especially liked the foreshadowing by Slysoft in the beginning. I can't help but think that if the BD+ code wasn't so paranoid about checking the VM, and instead just built the table and was done with it, this project would have been a lot more difficult. Plus, there would have been more avenues to defeat unlicensed players in the future. Doesn't really matter because as everyone here knows DRM is defective by design.

Great work everyone!
NSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:17   #5  |  Link
MoFoQ

congrats indeed.

I'll drink to it and future success (and irony).
MoFoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:27   #6  |  Link
scubascythan

Congratz

Congratz. You've been slashed.
scubascythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:39   #7  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Nice going people! Congratulations on an outstanding effort! Open-source too!
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:40   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Heise.de has just released a news article about your success
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Foren...meldung/118285
Old 2nd November 2008, 16:12   #9  |  Link
Oopho2ei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Heise.de has just released a news article about your success
I honestly can't understand why this project is getting so much attention. There are commercial tools like AnyDVD-HD which can do much better and are easier to use. Furthermore without the help of dozens of other people (who would like to stay anonymous) this project would haven't succeeded. We didn't get any help from SlySoft and the code doesn't run on a java virtual machine. It runs on an emulator implemented in java. The author who wrote the article seems to have no idea or i didn't translate it correctly. Also they seem to have missed to cover the latest leak of MKBv4 and MKBv7 processing keys. The current development is not believable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9 View Post
@Oopho2ei: the jar file is so large because it contains the bouncycastle lib.. it's packed into the jar file. Something must've gone wrong during the build mechanism. And if you distribute the lib with the software you might want to build so that the lib in the dist directory is automatically taken into account (like Netbeans does).
Thanks. I have rewritten the build.xml (according to the one used in JonDos Public Repository) and it seems to work now. I am currently doing some source code improvements.

Last edited by Oopho2ei; 2nd November 2008 at 16:14.
Old 2nd November 2008, 16:24   #10  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oopho2ei View Post
I honestly can't understand why this project is getting so much attention.
...because the industry put so much efforts into making BD+ "unbreakbale" and now your little Projects proves how vulnerable it is

Even HD-DVD had to die, because BR was believed to be "safer" thanks to BD+ protection. So a lot of money and prestige is involved here!

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd November 2008 at 16:28.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 16:52   #11  |  Link
Oopho2ei

Quote:
...because the industry put so much efforts into making BD+ "unbreakbale" and now your little Projects proves how vulnerable it is
I can't agree. We probably had twice as many people working on this than Slysoft when they "broke" BD+. Furthermore it doesn't say anything about the security of BD+ instead it shows how weak the protection of current BD+ capable players is. I would like to name the latest leak of the MKBv4 and MKBv7 processing keys again at this point. I believe it is impossible to create a secure DRM system if an opponent has the ability to mount a whitebox attack on a working (licensed) player. Let me add that i compared two versions of my player firmware and the latest version was without any doubt weaker compared with the one released a couple of months earlier. .oO(The Matrix has you...)Oo.

Quote:
Even HD-DVD had to die, because BR was believed to be "safer" thanks to BD+ protection. So a lot of money and prestige is involved here!
As above. Finally decrypting and repairing a BD+/AACS protected discs happens on daily bases with AnyDVD-HD.

Edit: We shouldn't spam the thread with this. Nobody can convince me anyway. This thread is probably very valuable as it shows an attack scenario which has to be prevented in the future if DRM wants to succeed over BlueRay content.

Last edited by Guest; 2nd November 2008 at 18:12. Reason: deleted rule 6 material
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:36   #12  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

BDMV Debugger Congratulations (split from BD+ handling thread)

In order not to spam the very technical thread I've created this separate thread and will move o/t posts from the technical thread here.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:24   #13  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Well then Congratulations!! I had no idea that this project was even going on (I rarely visit the decryption section) and here I wake up to find that the open source community has done it again! Well done mate, well done.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:31   #14  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

thanks!!!

OWNED slysoft!!!!
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:14   #15  |  Link
Orion17

Congrats Guys. I watched this post since you guys first started this project and it was very interesting to see the steps taken to get the end result. Your work is much appreciated.

Orion17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:48   #16  |  Link
Oopho2ei

Due to the unexpected widespread media attention i am concerned about my personal safety. I think you guys can now continue this project without me. I won't use this account anymore and i have other things to do now anyway. Maybe i will join later again with a different nickname but i doubt it.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:56   #17  |  Link
dirio49
JuSt a PoWer uSEr

You will me missed.
Thanks for you contributions.
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:31   #18  |  Link
sl1pkn07
Pajas Mentales...

thanks for al
sl1pkn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:44   #19  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

A big thanks for me too, especially for not forgetting the Linux folks
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:36   #20  |  Link
patul

@Oopho2ei, Schluppo:
Thanks for your hard work.. You guys will be missed. Hope to see you around in this forum again very soon..
patul is offline   Reply With Quote