Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2011, 06:33   #9181  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
Don't know if this belongs here, but... is there a preferred output range for Nvidia cards like there is for ATI? The general consensus for ATI is to output full range 0-255... is it the same for Nvidia?
Yes. Don't know about custom resolutions though, if that's true, it's probably a bug.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 08:02   #9182  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Unless you actually own a license to FRAPS, get MSI Afterburner instead. It's free, and doesn't require you to buy a license to capture JPEG/PNG screenshots or record logo-free Direct3D 8/9/10/11 and OpenGL videos.
Nice alternative, focusing only on the screen capture features, you miss out on the repeat screen capture every x seconds option. The JPEG format is not recommended when comparing image quality between two images. The free capture to PNG option is nice but when you tend to delete the files after comparing them I find it really doesn't matter so choose whatever suits you.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 08:10   #9183  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, never thought I can use FRAPS for this purpose, but TBH, it would be much easier to use MPC-HC's internal screen capturing mechanism, especially for lazy people like me.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 14:07   #9184  |  Link
takenori

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Unless you actually own a license to FRAPS, get MSI Afterburner instead. It's free, and doesn't require you to buy a license to capture JPEG/PNG screenshots or record logo-free Direct3D 8/9/10/11 and OpenGL videos.
I use afterburner,
somehow, I cant capture the screen when in fullscreen.
its captured, but in the wrong timeline and/or with a wrong aspect ratio.
windowed mode works fine
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 14:38   #9185  |  Link
TheElix

I can't capture screenshots when madVR is in exclusive D3D mode as well. It works only in windowed mode.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 09:41   #9186  |  Link
ryrynz

Small issue with RadeonPro but the latest update completely fixed everything.

Last edited by ryrynz; 9th August 2011 at 10:15.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 01:52   #9187  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

If I go to MPC-HC's external filters menu and add “madVR” from the list as prefer, then subtitles disappear - they work fine when using madVR “normally”, together with the internal decoders of madVR.

Furthermore, in the filters menu during playback, it reports “madVR” instead of “madVR renderer” - however, madVR is doing the decoding in both cases. I am certain of this because it displays “libav” in the OSD and not “H.264, 10 bit, 4:2:0 -> P010, 10 bit” or something like it would do with LAV/ffdshow/MPC-HC's internal renderer, also the internal renderer wouldn't even be able to decode Hi10P properly.

Is this filter being misregistered somehow? I can't get “madVR Renderer” into the filters list either, even if I add the .ax file manually. Does MPC-HC interface with madVR uniquely in some way?

Moreover, why does switching to “madVR” instead of “madVR Renderer” cause subtitles to disappear?
Old 10th August 2011, 02:01   #9188  |  Link
SamuriHL

madshi fixed that issue. You need to get a more recent version of MPC-HC.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:03   #9189  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
madshi fixed that issue. You need to get a more recent version of MPC-HC.
How recent are we talking, here? I'm using v1.5.2.3456, do you know in which version it was (approximately) fixed? (I'm asking because I'd like to compile this information elsewhere)
Old 10th August 2011, 02:03   #9190  |  Link
SamuriHL

Sorry I don't remember the version. It was posted a few pages back I believe. If you look back a bit you should be able to find it.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:05   #9191  |  Link
SamuriHL

Found it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Those of you who want to use the madVR internal decoders with MPC-HC, please update to build 3520 (or newer). That build allows you to set madVR to "preferred" in the external filter list, without losing the OSD and subtitle functionality.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:14   #9192  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Found it for you:
Thanks. This is newer than the latest build advertised as stable, but I'll add it to the troubleshooting section nonetheless.

Still, the alternative is to work around the issue by blocking all filters you don't want to use, or setting their merit below madVR's.

You can use madVR with MPC-HC just fine that way and retain OSD+subtitle functionality.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:17   #9193  |  Link
SamuriHL

I use MC16, but, I routinely build MPC-HC with no internal filters. So I'm glad madshi fixed it. Still, your work around will suffice until people get a new build. I recommend getting the fixed version if possible.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:32   #9194  |  Link
THEAST

Strange, seems my previous reply never made it out of the moderation queue...

Anyway, I just wanted to report a small issue. Using madVR 0.73 and Directvobsub 2.40.3300 + ffdshow as renderer and MPC-HC as player and Haali as splitter, I'm experiencing some strange color changes by switching between original resolution and doubled resolution subtitle rendering in Directvobsub:

Original resolution:
http://i3.imgkeep.com/i/00051/4c7pmgp5p7q2.jpg

Doubled resolution:
http://i3.imgkeep.com/i/00051/gv15s31ya54o.jpg

This doesn't happen with other renderers, so I think it must be an issue with madVR, e.g. with Haali renderer:

Original resolution:
http://i3.imgkeep.com/i/00051/yobri8x0u1b6.jpg

Doubled resolution:
http://i3.imgkeep.com/i/00051/lfne1enoabe7.jpg

There also seem to be some cropping differences here. The first screen from madVR has one more row of pixels at the top and one more column at the left while it has one row less at the bottom and one column less at the right in comparison to the second screen.
And yeah, I'm 100% sure that the frames are identical.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 05:22   #9195  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

oh yah, and I forgot a rather old feature request that would become the icing on the cake now: the ability to hide the "windowed"/"exclusive" OSD messages if any possible
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 05:46   #9196  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Yes. Don't know about custom resolutions though, if that's true, it's probably a bug.
Thanks, but I was planning on getting a GT 430 to use Cuvid but decided to keep my Radeon 5570. I like to go by the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix" saying and everything works fine now. From what I've read, Nvidia requires tweaking the timings by creating a custom resolution to get proper 23.976 refresh rate. AMD isn't perfect either, but my 5570 gets 23.977 without any tweaking, and it's close enough for me. Nvidia seems to output anywhere from 23.67 to 23.73 when you set it to 23Hz.

As for the 0-255 issue, I've seen some people say that if you set the Dynamic Range in the Nvidia drivers, it only sets that for video... desktop remains compressed 16-235 when using HDMI. In order to get both to output 0-255, you have to create a custom resolution. Or something along those lines.

Last edited by rahzel; 11th August 2011 at 05:50.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 08:10   #9197  |  Link
psymed

For the chroma upscaling, luma upscaling, luma downscaling, what settings would make the picture look best?
psymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 14:11   #9198  |  Link
Wile-E-Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymed View Post
For the chroma upscaling, luma upscaling, luma downscaling, what settings would make the picture look best?
The default settings give great quality. Beyond that it's up to your personal preference and what your system can handle. Some algorythm require more power than others. But there's no "best for everyone" settings otherwise madshi wouldn't have bothered giving us the choice now would he ?

Last edited by Wile-E-Coyote; 11th August 2011 at 14:14.
Wile-E-Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:26   #9199  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Thanks, but I was planning on getting a GT 430 to use Cuvid but decided to keep my Radeon 5570. I like to go by the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix" saying and everything works fine now. From what I've read, Nvidia requires tweaking the timings by creating a custom resolution to get proper 23.976 refresh rate. AMD isn't perfect either, but my 5570 gets 23.977 without any tweaking, and it's close enough for me. Nvidia seems to output anywhere from 23.67 to 23.73 when you set it to 23Hz.
You can always use ReClock, but if you don't have a problem with the 5770, just use it, of course. I do.

Quote:
As for the 0-255 issue, I've seen some people say that if you set the Dynamic Range in the Nvidia drivers, it only sets that for video... desktop remains compressed 16-235 when using HDMI. In order to get both to output 0-255, you have to create a custom resolution. Or something along those lines.
When using HDMI (and probably if your display supports it) there should be two different switches, one for HW accelerated video and one for everything else (including desktop and games), same as with AMD.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:48   #9200  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Don't know if this belongs here, but... is there a preferred output range for Nvidia cards like there is for ATI? The general consensus for ATI is to output full range 0-255... is it the same for Nvidia?
I would be connecting my Nvidia card to my 1080p LCD with HDMI which has the option for both 0-255 and 16-235.
Also, is adding a custom resolution the only way to output 0-255 for both video and desktop?
rahzel, no need to add custom resolutions.

Add

HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

to each section of your driver inf before installing, lines that begins with

[nv_miscBase_addreg_

eg

[nv_miscBase_addreg__01]
HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

I often have to do a clean driver install, to make this take effect, if I had installed drivers previously without it.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling