Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2011, 19:36   #8801  |  Link
ForceX

Chapters and ordered chapters of matroska are not the same thing. Ordered chapters allow you to combine different files into one playable video. This is useful for, say anime, where you have the same opening/ending video for about 12 episodes, so you can cut that part out into separate files, and only have the main content on other 12 files. When you play any of the 12 files, the opening and ending video will be automatically spliced in the timeline and play like one constant video (at least in theory). This can help you shave off about 50-100 MB per episode depending on your encoding. Better explanation here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=99489

Unfortunately only Haali's splitter and mplayer2 support ordered chapters.
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 19:37   #8802  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
You have certainly a good reason, but I'm a bit surprised by this choice. Indeed, Haali seems not to be very "talkative" and not to really work on his splitter. The opposite of Nevcairiel in fact.

Have you already talked with Nevcairiel on the issues bothering you in LAV Filters (ffmpeg limitations ?) ?
All my movies are remuxed to MKV and I've been playing them with the Haali Media Splitter with zero issues for years. Would could I possibly gain by changing a perfectly working splitter? Probably the LAV Splitter would work just as fine, but I won't change something if there isn't any chance of improvement.

That said, I'm using the LAV Splitter on my main PC for all sorts of other container formats.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 21:10   #8803  |  Link
zeroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... That looks weird. It seems that the presentation threads gets stuck, trying to present a frame (by calling Direct3D). I'm not totally sure where it's stuck exactly, but it could be stuck directly in Direct3D itself.

You seem to have the option "run presentation in a separate thread" activated. Is there a specific reason for that? That option should only be used if you absolutely need it. Try whether the problem maybe goes away if you disable that option.
No specific reason for the separate thread. I disabled that option and the picture doesn't freeze anymore. Thanks.
zeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:28   #8804  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

any news for fix green videos?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:36   #8805  |  Link
mark0077

Hi madshi, very impressed with the "delay playback start until render queue is full". Absolutely gorgeous seeing 0 frame drops from the very start even with frame interpolation avisynth scripts that usually makes any renderer stutter for a few seconds at start of playback.

Just wondering is it much work to also extend similar functionality to any time playback is about to "re"-start, like when going from windowed to exclusive and vice-versa. Those occurances seem to still stutter for perhaps 0.5-1.0 seconds while the buffers fill back up, which of course isn't the end of the world. I know audio has to continue in the background so madVR can't do the same type of "delay" technique to video and audio but maybe madVR could not begin to render any frames until the buffers are full again to avoid the 0.5 - 1 second of juddery rendering. Nice work anyways.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:48   #8806  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm getting a screen like this when I play FLV files with a 16/9 aspect ratio:

I tried changing FLV splitters but I have the same problem.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:51   #8807  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I'm getting a screen like this when I play FLV files with a 16/9 aspect ratio:

I tried changing FLV splitters but I have the same problem.
Could you post a video sample? Also, what video decoder is being used?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:54   #8808  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Could you post a video sample? Also, what video decoder is being used?
All the 16/9 videos I play are straight from YouTube.

Latest ffdshow video/audio decoders, MPC-HC w/ all internal filters disabled except for FLV and MPEG TS/PS. Windows 7 x64.

EDIT: I see this in a couple of the 4/3 FLV videos I'm playing from YouTube too...I'm not sure what is triggering this but it is definitely isolated around FLV files.

Last edited by dansrfe; 22nd July 2011 at 05:07.
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:59   #8809  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
All the 16/9 videos I play are straight from YouTube.
Could you link one in particular?

edit: I can reproduce. Here's a log:
http://www.mediafire.com/?14zq7wwnx1subo7

Here's a log for v0.66 where the issue is not present:
http://www.mediafire.com/?62qz884ckup0dp8

Last edited by namaiki; 22nd July 2011 at 05:07.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:09   #8810  |  Link
dansrfe

^ I agree. I can't see the issue in v0.66.
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:06   #8811  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its a bug in 0.67, and madshi said it'll be fixed in the next release.
Old 22nd July 2011, 09:09   #8812  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
All my movies are remuxed to MKV and I've been playing them with the Haali Media Splitter with zero issues for years. Would could I possibly gain by changing a perfectly working splitter? Probably the LAV Splitter would work just as fine, but I won't change something if there isn't any chance of improvement.
You may want to try AVSplitter, you'll definitely see improvement in speed of loading, seeking and stream changing. You may also find interesting that you're able to create presets to set priorities for each container/codec combo you have, like this. The only thing Haali has in advantage is linked segments support (ordered chapter), but void says he'll implement its support in the future versions. This splitter is magic
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:44   #8813  |  Link
pankov

Quote:

That said, I'm using the LAV Splitter on my main PC for all sorts of other container formats.
--- Off topic start ---
I do agree with your preference and that's exactly the way I think too.
There is only one small issue with Haali's splitter - it doesn't support huge number (35 or so) of subtitle tracks in .mkv.

and I also like nev's way of audio/language automatic selection and the "fake" forced subs support so now I'm torn apart between these things and Haali's "ordered chapters" support.
--- Off topic end ---
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:37   #8814  |  Link
italospain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
You may want to try AVSplitter, you'll definitely see improvement in speed of loading, seeking and stream changing. You may also find interesting that you're able to create presets to set priorities for each container/codec combo you have, like this. The only thing Haali has in advantage is linked segments support (ordered chapter), but void says he'll implement its support in the future versions. This splitter is magic
Hi TheElix

nice find and it is really fast but i dont get subtitles working with zoom player ( both directsubvob and ffdshow doesnt show subtitles).
Can you give me a hint
italospain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:45   #8815  |  Link
TheElix

Hi, italospain. I've never used zoom player so I have no idea, sorry. I use MPC-HC and PotPlayer and subtitles work everywhere for me. Both MPC-HC and PotPlayer have internal subtitle renderers (ffdshow/DirectVobSub has/is an external subtitle renderer), I don't know about zoom player.

Last edited by TheElix; 22nd July 2011 at 12:47.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:09   #8816  |  Link
Pix

Quote:
This sounds like a hardware problem to me. Don't know what else to say. I've never seen madVR producing an image with lines like that, nor have I ever heard of anyone having a similar problem.
Yes, I've thought about that too but it never happened with a different renderer. I switched to the newest version and happened to me once near the end of a 2:30 long movie but it was just a blank screen.
Well, I'll try with a different graphics card and see if there's any changes.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 01:28   #8817  |  Link
dansrfe

Bug Report:

When I play a video on Monitor 1 and play it in fse and then go back to windowed and drag the video to Monitor 2 and go to fse the current frame freezes until I go back to windowed mode.
Old 23rd July 2011, 04:39   #8818  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by italospain View Post
Hi TheElix

nice find and it is really fast but i dont get subtitles working with zoom player ( both directsubvob and ffdshow doesnt show subtitles).
Can you give me a hint

AV Splitter seems to work rather nice with asf files but caused my ZP to crash numerous times when seeking mov and mp4 files. But then again I use CoreAVC as my H264 decoder so maybe that's the reason. AV Splitter might play better with other H264 decoders. I'll be sticking with Haali as the splitter for mov & mp4 also. It just works really great with CoreAVC.

Also caused crashes and seeking issues when using it to play flv files with ffdshow as the decoder. AV Splitter shows promise but I don't think it's ready for primetime yet.

Last edited by andybkma; 23rd July 2011 at 05:26.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:27   #8819  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
AV Splitter seems to work rather nice with asf files but caused my ZP to crash numerous times when seeking mov and mp4 files. But then again I use CoreAVC as my H264 decoder so maybe that's the reason. AV Splitter might play better with other H264 decoders. I'll be sticking with Haali as the splitter for mov & mp4 also. It just works really great with CoreAVC.

Also caused crashes and seeking issues when using it to play flv files with ffdshow as the decoder. AV Splitter shows promise but I don't think it's ready for primetime yet.
The author will soon open English forum where you'll be welcome to leave feedback. This splitter was tested mostly with MPC-HC. What's with all that ZP-users all of a sudden?
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:19   #8820  |  Link
Hprd

I've tried the av splitter too. It works really well for the most part, aside from not being able to open ".m2t" files (and well other files i'm sure that're not listed) as well as the playback being corrupt on one file (tons of dropped frames), it was pretty good, and i think i'll replace haali with it for now (as i love the way way faster seeking). Subtitles were kinda finicky though, on first start up of the file, they won't show up, i would have to seek somewhere to get them to work, and switching (on one file for example) from ass to srt subtitles didn't work, unless i quickly changed it to srt while mpc-hc was starting up (maybe there's some way to configure the splitter that i'm not aware of to get subtitles to work properly? like haali for example which has no problem switching in realtime or on first startup).

So like andybkma said, pretty good, but not quite ready for primetime yet. It would seem just a few simple updates might be all it needs though.

Last edited by Hprd; 23rd July 2011 at 09:22.
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling