Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2009, 16:07   #4741  |  Link
lldaedalusll

Quote:
You don't have to change framerate! 23.976 is ok.
You point to something I thought about. The 24p mode of LCDs or plasmas is real 24fps, or real 23,976 fps?
lldaedalusll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 16:45   #4742  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Since all blu-ray movies are encoded as 23.976 and not 24p so I think that TVs must stick to that rule as well. 24p is used as shortcut as well as 60p,30p (real framerate is 59.94,29.97)

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 24th April 2009 at 16:50.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 00:01   #4743  |  Link
howzz

i am getting very stable constant results of 26fps for 1st pass and 10.6fps for the 2nd pass for 1920X1080P blu-ray action movies encoded in 8MBps setting with profile 4.0. and Xstream copy MKV. this is on my watercooled Q6600 @ 3.7Ghz.

i've never tried CQ, but if that 24core system encodes 2 pass only with that speed, i have to say it's quite disappointing.

Last edited by howzz; 26th April 2009 at 00:05.
howzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 02:43   #4744  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Has anyone tried using RipBot264 with VC-1 material on Windows 7 x64? I have been successful with H264 and MPEG-2, but with VC-1 RipBot hangs after the demux of the m2ts file. Is there a workaround for this as I would really like to continue using Win7?

Thanks in advance.
Balthazar2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 03:17   #4745  |  Link
screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz View Post
i am getting very stable constant results of 26fps for 1st pass and 10.6fps for the 2nd pass for 1920X1080P blu-ray action movies encoded in 8MBps setting with profile 4.0. and Xstream copy MKV. this is on my watercooled Q6600 @ 3.7Ghz.

i've never tried CQ, but if that 24core system encodes 2 pass only with that speed, i have to say it's quite disappointing.
As I mentioned in my previous post, that encoding was CQ, NOT 2-pass. I am personally concerned with quality more than the size of the output file.

Secondly, I'm not sure why users speak more about fps processing than the time it take to encode. I just want the encode to finish as quickly as possible.
screaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 10:08   #4746  |  Link
glowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming View Post
Secondly, I'm not sure why users speak more about fps processing than the time it take to encode. I just want the encode to finish as quickly as possible.
Probably because the more frames per second you can encode... the faster the job will complete?
glowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 01:18   #4747  |  Link
howzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post, that encoding was CQ, NOT 2-pass. I am personally concerned with quality more than the size of the output file.

that's because you can have a 3 hour long movie that'll take twice as long to encode than a hour and half long movie. therefore how long it takes to encode the movie can be heavily dependent on the length of the film.

a more accurate calculation, or estimate if you will, would be to compare by fps. just like how you would compare how fast two cars travel, in speed mph/kph.

i guess so many users are referring to 2 pass is because most of us here use it. so a more accurate comparison would for the 24 core system to test in 2 pass condition, then perhaps we can all go "wow" (slow/fast).
howzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 01:39   #4748  |  Link
dbone1026

What are your settings?

Not sure if this has been done yet, but thought this would be good. If you are using RipBot264, what settings are you using? For me I have been using ripbot264 as follows:

Blu Ray/HD DVD
Profile: 4.0
AutoCrop
1920 x 1080
2-Pass
8150MB
MKV
Original Audio
Takes about 12-15 hours to encode using a Quad Core 6600
(I wrote a quick Wiki on another site regarding Ripbot264 - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki....php/RipBot264)

Standard DVDs
Right now I have all my standard dvds in their native structure (Video_TS) but think that the next step will be to use Ripbot to convert those as well to mkvs, not sure if I would use the same settings as for Blu Ray (sans the 1920x1080).

Last edited by dbone1026; 27th April 2009 at 01:45.
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 12:31   #4749  |  Link
lldaedalusll

For me (with blu rays) autocrop does not work. Even though there is a 124 pixel black area at top and bottom (in detail this is even more, but twice 124 maintains height mod 16 = 0) over the full movie in the first bluray I ripped, I got a 1080 height video as output (including black borders). It turned out that I had to manually figure out how much to crop without losses.

Anything else looks fine.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:35   #4750  |  Link
lldaedalusll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Since all blu-ray movies are encoded as 23.976 and not 24p so I think that TVs must stick to that rule as well. 24p is used as shortcut as well as 60p,30p (real framerate is 59.94,29.97)
Ok, I did it with 23,976 fps and the media portal output is perfectly smooth on my LCD while having selected 24hz as the display refresh rate.

Anyways, you did great job with ripbot, but I would wish that one could integrate several audio streams into the result file with ripbot itself. Up to now I did go the manual way for this.
Old 27th April 2009, 23:16   #4751  |  Link
Blender

Blood Diamond Blu Ray Transcode Problem

Anyone had problems with Blood Diamond? I have transcoded it three times and at 42 minutes and some seconds it turns into colored snow . I tried trancoding other discs to make sure not a hardware or software issue and all wok fine. Is there some copy/transcode protection I am running in to?
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 23:57   #4752  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Anyone had problems with Blood Diamond? I have transcoded it three times and at 42 minutes and some seconds it turns into colored snow .
That's a VC-1 and so likely you're having decoding problems. Do you have WMP11 installed...
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:05   #4753  |  Link
RCF

Atak,
I'm very pleased to see that Ripbot and all the associated modules work perfectly under Windows 7 64 bit RC1. I had some concerns but so far I've converted 2 Blu-Ray movies to AVCHD (1080p) using Windows 7 without issue. Thanks again for all of your hard work and a terrific product. It is greatly appreciated by the vast majority of us.

RCF
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:15   #4754  |  Link
RCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Has anyone tried using RipBot264 with VC-1 material on Windows 7 x64? I have been successful with H264 and MPEG-2, but with VC-1 RipBot hangs after the demux of the m2ts file. Is there a workaround for this as I would really like to continue using Win7?

Thanks in advance.
Balthazar2k4,

In response to your question I've not had any issues at all using Ripbot with Windows 7 64 bit RC1. I've ripped 2 movies thus far with this configuration, one was an h.264 and the other VC-1. No issues with either. My system is a home built Q6600 with 4 gigs RAM. I hope this answers your question. Now...with that said I HAVE occasionally had similar problems under Vista especially when the source Blu-Ray contains interlaced video. These are usually Blu-Rays from DiscoveryHD or National Geographic HD. In these cases the work around has been to manually use TS Muxer to save just the streams I want (creating an M2TS file) and then loading that file into Nero Vision (included with Nero 9) to create the AVCHD. Nero Vision packaged with Nero 8 didn't do very well. The new version is much better and handles interlaced sources easily.

RCF

Last edited by RCF; 28th April 2009 at 18:28.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 18:30   #4755  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Balthazar2k4,

In response to your question I've not had any issues at all using Ripbot with Windows 7 64 bit RC1. I've ripped 2 movies thus far with this configuration, one was an h.264 and the other VC-1. No issues with either. My system is a home built Q6600 with 4 gigs RAM. I hope this answers your question.

RCF
Well, I am at a loss. I have tried three different builds of 7 x64 (fresh installs including build 7100) and none of them will properly load ffdshow after the demux. H264 and MPEG-2 work fine, but VC-1 refuses to play nice. What could I be missing? I have RipBot264 setup exactly the same way as I do under Vista x64 (which works perfectly) and it just does not work. Did you do anything special?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 29th April 2009, 02:56   #4756  |  Link
illestdomer2005

Anybody having trouble with the Sin City blu-ray? The movie is getting chopped up into sections that repeat the credits and are out of order. It seems like RipBot isn't processing them correctly.

CORRECTION: Disc 2 of the new BD is a "recut" version that is intentionally chopped up. Apologies.

Last edited by illestdomer2005; 29th April 2009 at 03:02.
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 03:32   #4757  |  Link
Blender

Blood Diamond Blu Ray Transcode Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
That's a VC-1 and so likely you're having decoding problems. Do you have WMP11 installed...
Yes I have WMP 11 installed . I have same problem with transcoded file with VLC and Powere dvd 9 hd as well. All turn to snow.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 04:33   #4758  |  Link
illestdomer2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Well, I am at a loss. I have tried three different builds of 7 x64 (fresh installs including build 7100) and none of them will properly load ffdshow after the demux. H264 and MPEG-2 work fine, but VC-1 refuses to play nice. What could I be missing? I have RipBot264 setup exactly the same way as I do under Vista x64 (which works perfectly) and it just does not work. Did you do anything special?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I had some issues initially setting up RipBot on Windows 7, and I wish I could remember how I fixed them. Basically, RipBot wasn't properly seeing ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter, or both.

In any event, I am running a dual boot Vista x86 and 7 x64, and I've only used 7 a couple of times...mostly because I already have so much already set up on Vista.

The good news is that I think the problem is solvable as long as you don't give up
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 05:05   #4759  |  Link
Balthazar2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
I had some issues initially setting up RipBot on Windows 7, and I wish I could remember how I fixed them. Basically, RipBot wasn't properly seeing ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter, or both.

In any event, I am running a dual boot Vista x86 and 7 x64, and I've only used 7 a couple of times...mostly because I already have so much already set up on Vista.

The good news is that I think the problem is solvable as long as you don't give up
I believe you would be correct about RipBot not seeing FFDshow correctly. Nothing in Win7 sees FFDshow. I have tried MPC Home Cinema, MeGUI, and HDConverToX. They all exhibit the same problem. What I can't seem to figure out is how others have managed to get it to work and I have spent days researching the problem and can't solve it. Kind of depressing really....
Old 29th April 2009, 07:09   #4760  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
I believe you would be correct about RipBot not seeing FFDshow correctly. Nothing in Win7 sees FFDshow. I have tried MPC Home Cinema, MeGUI, and HDConverToX. They all exhibit the same problem. What I can't seem to figure out is how others have managed to get it to work and I have spent days researching the problem and can't solve it. Kind of depressing really....
isn't a issue of gui, but avisynth directshowsource's not able to "dialogate" with ffdshow on win7

maybe better to wait for ffdshow compatibility with win7

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360