Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 4th September 2018, 22:28   #701  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludium975 View Post
I tried DNxHR HQX and GoPro CineForm. All of them, after exporting, at 30 seconds-1 minute intervals duplicate frames. Like fps drop, but not fps drop, its just sometimes duplicate frames.

Here is a test encode for example, at 00:43-00:47. here

Who has an idea?

Did you check at what stage of the process that it occurred ? e.g. is it in your source, in resolve after decoding , after export, or after decoding the export then encoding to your final format ?

What about other export formats ? eg. uncompressed . If that has problem too then that suggests problem with your settings (maybe fps mismatch) or problem with source decoding in resolve

Maybe a mod should move these last few posts , because they have nothing to do with magicyuv
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 00:26   #702  |  Link
WorBry

The 'test encode' is a 720x302, 23.976, AVC.mkv file - there's no way it came out of Resolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Maybe a mod should move these last few posts , because they have nothing to do with magicyuv
True.

@Preludium975. I see you registered on the Blackmagic Forum:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...it=HDR#p434386

Probably best to address all of your Resolve-related issues there. I'd suggest you give more contextual information though, if you want answers.

Last edited by WorBry; 5th September 2018 at 04:41.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 06:08   #703  |  Link
preludium975

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
The 'test encode' is a 720x302, 23.976, AVC.mkv file - there's no way it came out of Resolve.
Yes, i encoded it with x264. But in the source file also there is the lag. I just don't want to send a 500GiB file.
preludium975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 06:24   #704  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Yes, i encoded it with x264. But in the source file also there is the lag. I just don't want to send a 500GiB file.
I'm assuming by that you mean the Resolve export (DNxHR, Cineform) that you used as source for the x264 encoding, not the original (HDR) source? If so then it would point to some FPS-mismatch (likely settings related) going on in Resolve.

Quite honestly if that is your target x264 format and you are only using Resolve for the HDR>SDR conversion, why jump through these hoops, generating large intermediate files in the process - you could do it all with AVISynth(+) or VapourSynth, like Kolak suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Is Resolve HDR to SDR conversion any decent? I think you may get as good results natively in avs or vs and avoid whole Resolve route.

Last edited by WorBry; 5th September 2018 at 06:35.
Old 5th September 2018, 13:28   #705  |  Link
preludium975

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
I'm assuming by that you mean the Resolve export (DNxHR, Cineform) that you used as source for the x264 encoding, not the original (HDR) source? If so then it would point to some FPS-mismatch (likely settings related) going on in Resolve.

Quite honestly if that is your target x264 format and you are only using Resolve for the HDR>SDR conversion, why jump through these hoops, generating large intermediate files in the process - you could do it all with AVISynth(+) or VapourSynth, like Kolak suggested?
The best Tone Mapper for now the DaVinci Resolve. Yes, I tone mapped HDR->SDR, then I exported it to DNxHR HQX.
I need the Resolve, because this is the best solution.

The last thing, what need to be works, the DNxHR HQX. Because this is a visually lossless encoder. Cineform are great too, but this is also duplicating frames...
preludium975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 15:44   #706  |  Link
WorBry

Well if there's a FPS mismatch going on it will appear in the Resolve export whatever the format. Like Poisondeathray said, to pin-point where that is occurring means going through your Resolve project set-up. Really this is not the place for that, but if it brings closure on this issue (and this segment of the thread gets moved anyway):

1. What is the format and FPS of your original HDR source, as declared (Clip Details or Clip Attributes) by Resolve on import ?

2. What is the declared project timeline frame-rate after you have loaded your clips on the timeline. Check in Project Settings > Master Settings > Timeline Format. Resolve defaults to 24FPS. If your source frame-rate is different, when you import the first clip you will be given the option to change the project frame-rate to match the source or leave at default 24FPS, in which case it will be 'locked' at 24FPS - can't be changed subsequently. Otherwise you should set-up the project Timeline Format beforehand. Your problem could be right there. 23.976p source in 24p project maybe ?

3. I'm assuming you didn't mess with Clip Speed/Duration/Retime on the timeline ?

4. What was the render (Delivery) frame-rate setting on export to Cineform, DNxHD ?. Default is the project frame-rate, but there may be other options. A 24 FPS project timeline for example will give the option of exporting at 24, 23.976 or 30 (3:2) FPS. Potential for FPS discontinuity there also.

With that advice you should be able to figure out where FPS discontinuity occurred, if it did. Don't bring it back here though. If you still have issues, address it on the Blackmagic Forum.

Quote:
The best Tone Mapper for now the DaVinci Resolve.
Based on what ? Again though, not a point for discussion in this thread.

Edit: Incidentally where exactly (frame sequence position) are the duplicate frames occurring in your 'Test.mkv' file ? Started manually frame stepping through the file with VDub2 but got fed up about a third of the way .

Last edited by WorBry; 5th September 2018 at 21:28.
Old 13th July 2019, 14:41   #707  |  Link
Stereodude

According to the e-mail I got earlier in the week v2.1 is out now.

Released: 2019.07.11.
NEW: Added v308, v408 pixel format support (YUV 4:4:4).
NEW: Added 10-bit YUV 4:4:4 compressed format.
FIX: Core: Fixed a bug that prevented encoding of 16-bit planar RGB pixel formats.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:07   #708  |  Link
TomArrow

Quote:

Released: 2019.10.30.

NEW: MagicYUV MediaCore plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro, Media Encoder and After Effects.
Other minor fixes and improvements.
^ This finally caused me to buy this. Great stuff. Finally a way to export losslessly at higher bit depths that is very comfortable to use.

If the programmer is still reading this thread, I still have one plea: Please make a native After Effects plugin. I know I can use MediaCore plugins via Media Encoder and Media Encoder can encode After Effects projects, but you lose control over the more detailed render settings, most importantly the export color space, which Media Encoder incomprehensibly doesn't let you set. So it's impossible to, for example, export a floating point linear composition as in HDR PQ color space, which After Effects can do with native export plugins but not with Media Encoder. As such I still end up having to export an image sequence from AE in order to finally encode the video with MagicYUV.

Anyway, great codec, thanks for making this!
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 22:20   #709  |  Link
Ignus2

@TomArrow

Yes, I occasionally read this thread. Glad you can make use of the plugins.

The MediaCore plugins were a major pain in the rear to write in the first place for a number of reasons. But it adds the greatest coverage for Adobe tools, albeit as you say After Effects export through Media Encoder has it's limits.
The problem is that After Effects uses a completely different API/SDK for its plugins, and I haven't yet looked into it that much.
An important thing to note though is that the plugins don't really do anything with color spaces for higher bit depths. That means that through MediaCore I get 16-bit RGB values and encode them without any transformation (except bit depth reduction to 10/12/14). On import the project must be set up manually to properly interpret the footage (I presume).
I'll look into the After Effects SDK and see how much effort would it take to make a dedicated plugin for it.
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:21   #710  |  Link
TomArrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignus2 View Post
@TomArrow

Yes, I occasionally read this thread. Glad you can make use of the plugins.

The MediaCore plugins were a major pain in the rear to write in the first place for a number of reasons. But it adds the greatest coverage for Adobe tools, albeit as you say After Effects export through Media Encoder has it's limits.
The problem is that After Effects uses a completely different API/SDK for its plugins, and I haven't yet looked into it that much.
An important thing to note though is that the plugins don't really do anything with color spaces for higher bit depths. That means that through MediaCore I get 16-bit RGB values and encode them without any transformation (except bit depth reduction to 10/12/14). On import the project must be set up manually to properly interpret the footage (I presume).
I'll look into the After Effects SDK and see how much effort would it take to make a dedicated plugin for it.
Thanks for your answer!

I really don't know anything about how it works behind the scenes, but I would wager that After Effects already delivers the RGB values in the correct color space to the plugin that is exporting it, so you wouldn't have to deal with that yourself. Only with Media Encoder there is no way to set the output color space whereas with After Effects there is. I would then guess that the RGB values you get from Premiere/MediaCore are Rec709 or sRGB by default, but I really don't know to be honest.

And I totally feel your pain there, I also once wanted to inform myself about how to write some Premiere/AE plugin and I gave up quickly after glancing over the SDK, being the complete C++ beginner that I am.
TomArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2020, 09:58   #711  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I'd like to give MagicYUV a try before buying.

Which is the best way to read/write MagicYUV compressed video with AVS+?
Old 27th April 2020, 10:29   #712  |  Link
hajj_3

@Ignus2 PLEASE can you update the benchmarks on your website as it compares MagicYUV v2.0 with UTVideo v17.1.0 instead of the latest MagicYUV v2.2.0 and UTVideo v21.3.0.

Last edited by hajj_3; 27th April 2020 at 12:57.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2020, 10:53   #713  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I'd like to give MagicYUV a try before buying.

Which is the best way to read/write MagicYUV compressed video with AVS+?
MagicYUV is a plain ol' VFW codec, so all you need is AVISource if it's in AVI, or some other source reader if it's in another container.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2020, 10:57   #714  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
MagicYUV is a plain ol' VFW codec, so all you need is AVISource if it's in AVI, or some other source reader if it's in another container.

Picture we have a MKV. What is a good frame accurate VFW reader?

What a pity they did not develope a AVS/VS plugin.
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:32   #715  |  Link
hajj_3

v2.3.0 Released: 2020.09.21.

NEW: MagicYUV plugin for Vegas Pro 17/18.
NEW: New codec variant: 10-bit YUV 4:2:0.
FIX: Fixed incorrect video length of certain AVI files when imported into Adobe software through the plugin (particularly files recorded by vMix).
FIX: Minor Adobe plugin improvements: better error handling/reporting (like disk full, etc.).
Old 23rd July 2021, 17:23   #716  |  Link
GAP

Are the default settings good for lossless RGB videos?
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2021, 12:20   #717  |  Link
PCU

Please support FLAC for audio format & MKV container for Adobe plugin!
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 16:21   #718  |  Link
PCU

Update: MagicYUV is no longer free and you have to pay to use this codec!
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2022, 20:03   #719  |  Link
richardpl

or use ffmpeg
richardpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2022, 09:27   #720  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
Update: MagicYUV is no longer free and you have to pay to use this codec!
v1.2 is free.