Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 30th September 2010, 07:27   #1  |  Link
jackiz

[xvid] Segment first pass only?

Hi!
Is it (in win or linux) possible to encode the first pass in segments, then merge them and encode the 2nd pass as a whole?

Answers is really appreciated!
jackiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 10:27   #2  |  Link
jackiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmaster View Post
No, I do not think that is possible.
(To be honest, I even find it difficult to provide practical meaning of this. That is, you need to file A, B, C, make the first pass for each and combine them into a file D, and make a second pass?)

But if you write in more detail about your specific case, look for the best solution.
Lets say i want to record a TV-show and encode it as fast as possible, it would probably air kinda like this:
footage 1 | ad 1 | footage 2 | ad 2 | footage 3
I want all the footage, but no ads, so i could start encoding footage 1 1st pass when ad 1 is airing, and encode footage 2 1st pass when ad 2 is sending etc.
Then encode the 2nd pass after footage 3 has aired, that way i can chose the exact size of the result file without messing up the bitrate.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:27   #3  |  Link
ChaosKing

Statsreader 2.1 kann merge statsfiles
Old 30th September 2010, 12:35   #4  |  Link
Didée

In the past I've done such partial 1st-passes on a few unintended occasions (power failure during 1st pass). Basically you can take the different log files, and stitch-together the analysed data with a simple text editor. However that's walking on whacky ground, as one can easily create "off-by-one" (or by-two, or by-three) errors. If so, the later sections are borked, because the frametype decisions made during 1st pass don't fit anymore to the video data.

Considering that Xvid on a modern PC can do a 1st-pass at "hundreds of FPS", a not-segmented 1st pass of a 40-minutes-show takes only a few minutes - say, "the length of a cigarette". So, what's the point? Why such a hurry? Can't help, but it smells like scene releases ...

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 14:14   #5  |  Link
jackiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
Statsreader 2.1 kann merge statsfiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
In the past I've done such partial 1st-passes on a few unintended occasions (power failure during 1st pass). Basically you can take the different log files, and stitch-together the analysed data with a simple text editor. However that's walking on whacky ground, as one can easily create "off-by-one" (or by-two, or by-three) errors. If so, the later sections are borked, because the frametype decisions made during 1st pass don't fit anymore to the video data.

Considering that Xvid on a modern PC can do a 1st-pass at "hundreds of FPS", a not-segmented 1st pass of a 40-minutes-show takes only a few minutes - say, "the length of a cigarette". So, what's the point? Why such a hurry? Can't help, but it smells like scene releases ...
Thanks for replys!
How do i use the statfile after stitching them together? i have never encoded passes individually before.
I just like fast encoding