Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 18th January 2009, 22:38   #1  |  Link
GaPony

Shooting for a Movie Only AVCHD disc

This thread is in reponse to d62ks821's post in the Bug Related thread... I'm just trying to get the specific BD-P2500 discussion out of that thread.

I'm sorry that I don't remember who posted this link earlier, but it has made it possible to make an acceptable Movie Only AVCHD formatted disc that will play in my PS3 and my Samsung BD-P2500 (Firmware rev. 2.4) as a AVCHD disc.

http://bd.splra.org/

I think where you may have gone wrong is in just copying all the folders and files under the AVCHD folder. I think its important to use the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv from the template file offered in avchd_leer.zip.

In my successful attempt, I started with a copy of the supplied template and copied only the CLIPINFO, PLAYLIST and STREAMS folders from my BD-Rebuilder resluts to the template and then burned the disc with ImgBurn using UDF 2.5 to a DL disc.

I think from reading your post, you may have doe it slightly differently...?
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 23:25   #2  |  Link
d62ks821

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
...I think where you may have gone wrong is in just copying all the folders and files under the AVCHD folder. I think its important to use the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv from the template file offered in avchd_leer.zip...
On initial attempt I used all files from avchd_leer.zip and only over copied the 3 dir's (CLIPINF, STREAM, and PLAYLIST) as indicated. ...then after failing to work, I then tried overwritting index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv as well. Still no joy.

What disks, format and brand, do you use? ..maybe significant.

Do you have a small test.iso you can post that works on your player I can try? ...or I can post mine for you to try.
d62ks821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 23:46   #3  |  Link
alluringreality

I think the main files from the Nero AVCHD structure expect for there to be a 00000.clpi in CLIPINF, a 00000.mpls in PLAYLIST, and 00000.m2ts in STREAMS. The backup files were in the backup directory, and those were the names used for the playlist and clipinf. Generally streams starts with 00000, so that's what I'd figure it's expecting. In http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...39#post1239039 your files aren't named that way.

EDIT: I don't expect the original Nero output would have included the AVCHD folder, BDMV would have probably been the main folder on the disk, but I can't tell if GaPony got rid of the AVCHD folder for his working disk.

Last edited by alluringreality; 19th January 2009 at 00:32.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 00:00   #4  |  Link
d62ks821

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
I think the main files from the Nero AVCHD structure expect for there to be a 00000.clpi in CLIPINF, a 00000.mpls in PLAYLIST, and 00000.m2ts in STREAMS. The backup files were in the backup directory, and those were the names used for the playlist and clipinf. Generally streams starts with 00000, so that's what I'd figure it's expecting. In http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...39#post1239039 your files aren't named that way.
BD-RB output as 00001 rather than 00000. Looks like tsMuxerR named it that way, and BD-RB just followed suit. ..can I just rename them, or will that break links?

Also you refer to STREAMS, but every disk I've look at it is STREAM, not STREAMS. tsMuxeR and BD-RB also named it STREAM.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:29   #5  |  Link
alluringreality

STREAM is correct, that was just a typing error.

People used to do this sort of thing a lot before tsRemux took the Nero output. It's been a while and I forgot that the playlist actually has the clipinf/stream numbering. So the original playlist went to 00000, but the one you're using probably does go to 00001. You can look at the relationships if you open the files in BDedit. The Play PL under MovieObject takes you to the playlist and then the m2ts file name is shown there. The clipinf name should match the stream name. Come to think of it I was probably wrong on the naming comment.

Did you burn the AVCHD folder? I would have deleted the AVCHD folder and burned BDMV to root. Personally I always replace the backup files when I make changes also, but that's probably not the issue.

If you just want an AVCHD to test that your player works we had a report that "the AVCHD disc works great with the Samsung 2500 - at least with firmware version 2.4". That comment was about our v1.0 release from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Last edited by alluringreality; 19th January 2009 at 03:23.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:40   #6  |  Link
dav88

Copy the CLIPINF, STREAM, and PLAYLIST folders and overwrite the same ones in the AVCHD_LEER.zip folder and then burn the (LEER) BDMV folder to DVD with UDF2.5 that should work should it?

This worked for my bluray player but didn't play with PowerDVD until I copied the 'CERTIFICATE' folder to the AVCHD folder.

It looks like this:

AVCHD

-BDMV
-BACKUP
-CLIPINF
-PLAYLIST
-STREAM
-index.bdmv
-MovieObject.bdmv

-CERTIFICATE
-BACKUP
dav88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 00:52   #7  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:

EDIT: I don't expect the original Nero output would have included the AVCHD folder, BDMV would have probably been the main folder on the disk, but I can't tell if GaPony got rid of the AVCHD folder for his working disk.

I specifically did this to include the AVCHD folder in the root of the disc. Otherwise, with the BDMV in the root, the movie would play on my PS3, but not on my BD-P2500. This has worked on two movies that didn't previously play.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:57   #8  |  Link
dav88

This thread should actually be in the DVD & Blu-ray authoring forum.
Old 19th January 2009, 01:11   #9  |  Link
GaPony

Actually... I may have spoken too soon. I thought I had copied the AVCHD folder to disc, but apparently not. In viewing the disc, it appears that ImgBurn stripped the AVCHD folder, so it must be the just the replacement of the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv that made the difference.

I thought I had it figured out...now I'm not so sure, but it does cause the movie to play in the BD-P2500. I don't know how to edit a .bdmv file.
Old 19th January 2009, 01:12   #10  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav88 View Post
This thread should actually be in the DVD & Blu-ray authoring forum.
It relates directly to the output of BD-Rebuilder... otherwise I'd agree entirely.

I get your point, however, in the beginning of any project it seems helpful to find out what works, what doesn't, and where it does or doesn't apply. After running any program for 4-6-8 or 20 hours, its good to get some kind of feedback for your efforts. Though this AVCHD thing is a side issue mainly brought about by the PS3. It came about due to users making movie only conversions, and has application elsewhere. It appears thar BD5/BD9 on DVD is supported by a very small number of players. If the intended output of BD5/BD9 is unplayable on a number of players, yet that same output is seen as AVCHD by some players and with minor tweaks playable as AVCHD on still more players, that would seem significant to me, if I were the author. Whether or not he takes any action upon what is discovered, is another matter. In any case, more knowledge is better than less... and its just a single thread which he can remove if he deems it immaterial.

Last edited by GaPony; 19th January 2009 at 01:53.
Old 19th January 2009, 03:10   #11  |  Link
d62ks821

Quote:
Actually... I may have spoken too soon. I thought I had copied the AVCHD folder to disc, but apparently not. In viewing the disc, it appears that ImgBurn stripped the AVCHD folder, so it must be the just the replacement of the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv that made the difference.
BINGO! Same experience here. My BD-RB disk is playing in my BD-P2500 player now. I will now fool with it to determine exactly which files make a difference.
Old 19th January 2009, 03:31   #12  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by d62ks821 View Post
BINGO! Same experience here. My BD-RB disk is playing in my BD-P2500 player now. I will now fool with it to determine exactly which files make a difference.
I thought you were using DVD media... I'm using Verbatim +R DL discs.. which is where I thought people were having problems.
Old 19th January 2009, 04:01   #13  |  Link
MikeyBK

Quote:
Quote:
I thought you were using DVD media... I'm using Verbatim +R DL discs.. which is where I thought people were having problems.
LOL Ga, I think you misread his BD-RB disc as a BD-R...
Old 19th January 2009, 04:54   #14  |  Link
d62ks821

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes I am using DVD+R disks writing BD-RD (aka, BD REBUILDER) data.

BREAK THROUGH!!!
I have successfully played DVDs on my SAMSUNG BD-P2500 (f/w vers 2.4) player. Output from BD-RB, tsMuxeR, or ripbot, all work. I just had to delete the empty \BDMV\AUXDATA folder and it works! It does take about 80 seconds from the time disk is inserted until it plays, but it plays!!!

In addition I found I could delete all the empty FOLDERS hilighted below and it still played. (This also made it playable with powerDVD 7.3)

\BDMV
\BDMV\index.bdmv
\BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv

\BDMV\AUXDATA

\BDMV\BACKUP
\BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv
\BDMV\BACKUP\MovieObject.bdmv
\BDMV\BACKUP\BDJO
\BDMV\BACKUP\CLIPINF
\BDMV\BACKUP\CLIPINF\00001.clpi
\BDMV\BACKUP\PLAYLIST
\BDMV\BACKUP\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls

\BDMV\BDJO

\BDMV\CLIPINF
\BDMV\CLIPINF\00001.clpi

\BDMV\JAR

\BDMV\META

\BDMV\PLAYLIST
\BDMV\PLAYLIST\00000.mpls

\BDMV\STREAM
\BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts

\CERTIFICATE
\CERTIFICATE\BACKUP

Last edited by d62ks821; 20th January 2009 at 04:31.
Old 19th January 2009, 05:19   #15  |  Link
alluringreality

If you author AVCHD with commercial programs you will only get the folders you listed, just like the Nero avchd_leer.zip example:
/BDMV
/BDMV/BACKUP
/BDMV/BACKUP/CLIPINF
/BDMV/BACKUP/PLAYLIST
/BDMV/CLIPINF
/BDMV/PLAYLIST
/BDMV/STREAM

Depending on how things are authored, one item I've ran into is that the current ImgBurn version will add /CERTIFICATE. I couldn't quickly figure out how to stop the new behavior, so I dropped back to the 2.4.1.0 version.
Old 19th January 2009, 05:53   #16  |  Link
d62ks821

Quote:
If you author AVCHD with commercial programs you will only get the folders you listed, just like the Nero avchd_leer.zip example...
Yes. that example got me going and curious, but initial problem was my player didnt like having BDMV as a subdir of /AVCHD as indicated in the example.

Thank you everyone for your help this evening

Last edited by d62ks821; 19th January 2009 at 07:10.
Old 19th January 2009, 05:59   #17  |  Link
GaPony

Using the avchd_leer template worked great for me. It takes about 2 munutes to copy the files and no other authoring tools are required. Having the certificate folder from ImgBurn doesn't cause any problems. There are no abnormal pauses in playback on the BD-P2500 either.

I'm curious to see what changes jdobbs made with the next version, since he did a rework of the Movie Only mode... but in the meantime, I have an easy workable solution.
Old 19th January 2009, 06:02   #18  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Yes. that example got me going and curious, but initial problem was my player didnt like having BDMV as a subdir of /AVCHD as indicated in the example.

One other thing of interest. Although removing AUXDATA directory made the disk work in my BD-P2500 player, It breaks powerDVD 7.3 playback, "a disk with an unsupported format in drive D:". I added AUXDATA folder back as a test and powerDVD worked again. ..but this is only a nit.

Thank you everyone for your help this evening
So you're looking at an either/or situation? It will either play in your BD-P2500 without the AUXDATA folder or only play with PowerDVD if it is present?

I got sick of messing with PowerDVD's quirks and switched to Total Media Theatre (TMT) and have never looked back. It works well and even allows me to make screenshots..which PowerDVD abandoned several updates ago.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:40   #19  |  Link
dav88

My blu-ray format on dvd+r works also on the bd-p1500. All I did was remove the AUXDATA folder from the BDMV folder.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:54   #20  |  Link
yonexsp

Summary: Delete AUX folder before you burn the DVD+r DL and the output from BDR should work on players that had problems before..

BUT

Will not work with PowerDVD

Is this correct?
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote