Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2006, 07:04   #101  |  Link
MySchizoBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
VLC, Windows Media Player (with ffdshow or another codec), and MPlayer can all play AVC on a web page, though MPlayer's flakey about working as a plugin.

And MeGUI does have a Quicktime profile, accessible from One-click; what do you mean?

Besides, flash already won the short-file web format war and wmv won the streaming war years ago. AVC will only ever be a niche (like trailers and full videos now) unless one of the majors picks it up.
the masses don't have vlc neither mplayer. and i doubt they know how to enable wmp to play H.264 files. So far Quicktime is the only major player that does it out of the box. Not to forget that when u install iTunes u get quicktime with it as well. considering how popular iPods are, u can be assured that quicktimes market share is gaining.

With google partnerning with Apple for Apple iTV, u can be assured Google will support H.264 plus flash (VP6). Google already does support H.264 with their iPod versions. Plus youtube will also provide H.264 files in the future.
MySchizoBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 07:49   #102  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

It's not that hard to place a link under the video "Doesn't play? Click here!" You know, the same way Real, Quicktime, and flash have distributed themselves for the last decade. That's how QT got to be so common in the first place!

You want to design for quicktime, no one's going to stop you, but I was correcting the misconception that there are no other choices for browser-integrated streaming players.

Google's had AVC and VP6 for a year now, so "will support" is a little late on the mark.

popper, only the very last article you quote has anything to do with the web at all, which is what I was talking about. I wasn't denying that AVC is rapidly becoming terrestrial and satellite broadcasters' format of choice, or that it'll be a competitor on HD discs. (Although AVC requiring half the bitrate of VC-1 is every bit as much bullshit as the old claims of WMA sounding better at half the bitrate than MP3. At best full-bore high profile AVC has a 20% gain on VC-1, and with the limits imposed by broadcasters and HD-DVD/Bluray it's more like 5-10%.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 09:00   #103  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

I think that CorePlayerX should be a great alternative to QuickTime regarding web players...Just wait & see.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 18:34   #104  |  Link
popper

Quote:
(Although AVC requiring half the bitrate of VC-1 is every bit as much bullshit as the old claims of WMA sounding better at half the bitrate than MP3.
sorry you lost me, i wasnt having a go, just trying to point out that AVC is far bigger today as the CORPs bring out turn key hardware AVC encoder options with multi res/br realtime options (that could be fed directly into the future so called webTV etc).

it appears that they were saying AVC is half the bitrate of Mpeg2 not VC-1, and that as you know is easly true.

just like people now have extreamly easy access to the mpeg2 ts DVB streams, it will become just as easy for users to also get access to the new AVC ts content as time passes, and hence why the easy software is really key to AVC being used from the end users POV.

Last edited by popper; 25th September 2006 at 18:41.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 09:57   #105  |  Link
JaggerMech

A noob question for converting Telecined video (>95% Film):
I've use 'ForceFilm' (in DGIndex), is it better use 'Telecide+Decimate' (In AviSynth) ?
JaggerMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 13:04   #106  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

If it reports as less than 95% or so film, then yes. Otherwise no.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2006, 09:18   #107  |  Link
JaggerMech

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
If it reports as less than 95% or so film, then yes. Otherwise no.
So I think the guide at first page must be updated. It doesn't apply for NTSC with Film more than 95%...
JaggerMech is offline   Reply With Quote