Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2001, 09:29   #1  |  Link
Ivan Elin

Scratched surface ? How to handle it ?

I have a disc with scratched surface which is playd normally in WinDVD and i got aproblem in ripping.

When i try to use Smartripper it takes day's to solve this task.
I can not wait for a week or so.

When i try Vstrip Gui 0.8d it fails in decryption.
If decryption NONE, in clib mode it broke in 21% with System error (something like :"Vstrip gui" was make illigal operation and must be closed, in ASPI mode it crash with "Lost synchronization" error.

Any syggestion how to solve this problem ?
Ivan Elin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 11:31   #2  |  Link
manono

Hi-I had one like that. It was scratched, and would play in a DVD player, and with Power DVD, but I couldn't decrypt it. I took it to my local Gamestop (Gamespot?-a software chain) where they had a Disc Doctor, and it fixed it right up. The manager said that it works about 60% of the time in repairing scratched discs. If you don't want to spend any money, I've read that toothpaste will do the same thing (grind away the top layer), but haven't tried it.

Last edited by manono; 12th December 2001 at 22:59.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2001, 16:52   #3  |  Link
UHT

have you tried wiping the surface of the disc? remember to do it from the inside edge outwards
Old 12th December 2001, 22:28   #4  |  Link
Ivan Elin

To UHT & manono

First : thank you for you thought of my little problem !

& second : this disk is't mine, and i can not try some possible destructive action on it.

What i need is a software solution, that can able to fast skip scratched places (like PowerDVD do !).

Again, thank you for your attantion.
Ivan Elin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2001, 01:54   #5  |  Link
UHT

im not sure of any such program for dvds, you need something like the smart/secure mode of exact audio copy which reads over the same section of the disc repeatedly and then checks to see if they match. im not sure if something exists to help you tho...im sure youre friend wouldnt mind u cleaning his dvds for him
Old 13th December 2001, 02:02   #6  |  Link
PinGu

i had a problem with a disc a while back, where it would play ok in powerdvd but in smartripper it would stop every now and then and say 'cannot read from disc', this may have been due to scratches on the disc, or maybe just weird protection, but i got round it by playing the movie in powerdvd everytime it got stuck, then hitting retry while the movie was playing and it would pick it up again. this took quite a while (about an hour probably) but the the vobs were perfect. idunno if that will help with your disc, that disc doctor thing sounds like the best bet but only if your friend is ok with that.
Old 13th December 2001, 07:00   #7  |  Link
MickeyNBK

I would suggest that you try using a scotch brite microweave cloth (they are very soft and usually come in yellow, blue or red) (available at Sam's club and Walmart) if that doesn't work try spraying a little windex on it and cleaning it with the microweave cloth. Normally I use this stuff called CD/DVD Shield. It gives the disc a nice high shine and helps protect the disc.

If the windex (glass cleaner) doesn't work I would suggest finding a used game/cd/dvd shop near by and see if they have an industrial cd/dvd polisher/buffer. Most places will clean your disc for a buck or 2. When they are done can you barley tell the disc was ever scratched. Just don't use one of these cd/dvd dr things on it. They scratched the hell out of the disc and they look like crap.
MickeyNBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2001, 20:25   #8  |  Link
videofan

do you have any chance to try another dvd-rom drive?
videofan is offline   Reply With Quote