Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2002, 02:43   #1  |  Link
Kryal

DVD playing problem....

I'm trying to make a home-made DVD video. I've made it to the mastering part of the DVD, but when I play it on a DVD player or the computer, the video freezes at a certain time. I've tried remaking the disc, re-encoding the video, and many other options. What seems to be the problem? Here is some more info:

I used TMPGEnc to encode my AVI files to MPEG-2 format. They are all 29.97 fps, Interlaced, Variable Bitrate, 720x480 with GOP structure of IBPBPBPBPB, open GOP. I've tried creating an image with Scenarist AND DVDMaestro with the same problems. I've had the movie broken into many PGCs and a single PGC, with the same results. The movie stops at about 25 minutes in, and any playback after that point is corrupt, so the whole image is ruined.

These are the exceptions:

The VOB files can be played individually via PowerDVD without problems. I can take that section of video that has problems and record/play that section by itself without any problems.

I hope somebody can help me with this...
Kryal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2002, 23:20   #2  |  Link
Navellint

The GOP should be IBBPBBPBBPBBP (closed GOP, output bitstream for edit) I think. If I myself try another setting, Scenarist won't eat the stream at all. Did this solve anything?
Also you should use the project wizard in TMPG (ctrl+w) and from there change some settings (HQ_VBR, deinterlace, source range etc) if you want. That's my policy :-)

Last edited by Navellint; 2nd November 2002 at 23:23.
Old 3rd November 2002, 07:07   #3  |  Link
Kryal

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I tried running the DVD files through IfoEdit and remade the image with ImgTools. Now everything works fine. Scenarist and DVDMaestro might be having some kind of problem with some of the video issues, or it could just be my computer. In any case, IfoEdit and ImgTools fixed the problem. Thanks for your suggestions!
Kryal is offline   Reply With Quote