Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 2nd August 2006, 09:14   #1  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

x264 problems.Newbie questions and Huge Story, so far ;)

So, SUBj is too trivial but be patient, cause i'm having this problem.. for like 3 weeks and it IS Bad.
Here is my story:

I'm ripping DVDs with XviD since it got 1.0.. and i kinda like it.
but the time goes by and H264 is already useable. so i'm new to it.
i've read KAA wiki and this forum and decided to RiP MUSHiSHi DVDs (i have 5) to x264+AAC(Nero)=MKV (there are some chapters and No GOOD Subz).
Vell. Mushishi is Anime, Very Detailed, Extremely SlowMotion, and DVDs are allmos all 7Gb.
My decision was: MeGUI, SharkTooth's x264 CLI and his Presets(for MeGUI).
I'm not limited is Size of Files and want to make something like eXtream Quality.
i Grabbed "HQ-Insane" Preset and cahnged BitRate from 1000 to 1800(No Size Limit). ithink thats All..

and!!! Here we Go:
1st Pass: 15-17fps..good, nice, and perfect.
and then.. oops
2nd Pass - 0,56fps(this is not the problem) BUT.. after somethink like 25!! Hours it HANGs AND EXiTS. it's like 70% of Encode. with earlier builds(53x) my PC simply Restarted. with build by b0bor i'm getting an Error and CLI shuts down.

i've already tried: changing revisions, removing ColorMatrix from Script, i've user VFW in VDubMod. probably something else, but i can't remember now. oh, yeah, i even stripped 1h10min (for 3Eps) into 3 different d2v's .. each one hangs on 70% of 2nd pass.

today's try will be: reducing bitrate to 1300.

and here is some info: i've encoded DVD3 already but in inproper Resolution (sucsessfully). and made a RiP with non mod16 Res( i've got some crappy images. rip was in VfW). and RiPped Bonuses in some different Preset(cen't remember.. AE-Standert maybe)..

any Help? and Some Explainations from Sharctoosh about AE, HQ.. names of Presets. Onegai ^__^

Here is My script (Source is too good and i've decided to remove Deen)
Code:
#  PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\ColorMatrix.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\Decomb.dll")
#LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\Deen.dll")

mpeg2source("D:\DVD-RiP\MUSHiSHi\DVD2\OUT\04\04.d2v", idct=0, info=3)
ColorMatrix(hints=true,interlaced=true)
Telecide(order=1,post=2)
crop(0,4,720,472)
#Deen("a3d",1,5,5,3)
LanczosResize(720,400)
SpAwN_gUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:48   #2  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

A couple of people have already reported such behavior (x264 quitting or crashing after so many hours).

Maybe your hardware is unstable. Have you overclocked your CPU and/or GPU ? If not, maybe you have dead cheap RAM or something like that.

Using search you might find other suggestions since this has been dealt with already.

However, since 1st pass runs fine and that you're not limited by the filesize, I suggest you use the 1-pass constant quality mode (a.k.a CRF) with nominal quantizer set to something around 18 to 22. If it crashes again I would suspect you have some defective HDD sectors and that your HDD is near-full

Quote:
Some Explainations from Sharctoosh
were you drunk writting this post ? The "s" is so far away from the "t" and the "c" is so far away from the "k" on that keyboard man ...

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:11   #3  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZell666
Maybe your hardware is unstable. Have you overclocked your CPU and/or GPU ? If not, maybe you have dead cheap RAM or something like that.
Well, Both NO. i have p4-HT-2.5GHz 2x256DDR-Dual(yeah it seems to work not very well... it does not run like DDR400.. so i had to make it DDR333.. the PC is "not mine" it's on my Job) but XviD Runs with No Problems. and PC UpTIME is.. well.. WAS 2-3Weeks WinXPSP2+UpToDate

Quote:
Using search you might find other suggestions since this has been dealt with already.
will do. thanks.

Quote:
However, since 1st pass runs fine and that you're not limited by the filesize, I suggest you use the 1-pass constant quality mode (a.k.a CRF) with nominal quantizer set to something around 18 to 22.
Will do also.. today i've started "lossless" encode.. but.. projected filesize was like 2Gb for 23Mins... -> Abort

Quote:
If it crashes again I would suspect you have some defective HDD sectors and that your HDD is near-full
it's in good shape. i've already tested.
"near-full" is like 2,5Gb.. from 120 .. lots of crap and "usefull" stuff.

Quote:
were you drunk writting this post ? The "s" is so far away from the "t" and the "c" is so far away from the "k" on that keyboard man ...
well.. i was drunk writing this post (it's in russian) : http://spawn-guy.livejournal.com/51358.html
and i'm typing Fast, and... and i Really don' like to ReRead what i'm posting.. i'm kinda that guy

sorry, SharkTooth my mistake * was it good(correct) this time? ???
Old 2nd August 2006, 12:44   #4  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

encoding with x264 can overheat the CPU and other hardware for many many hours.
even a small and insignificant hw problem could render your system completely unstable.
i suggest you to check the temperatures at some point (after some hours of encoding) and run some burn-in tests.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:05   #5  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

well, i thought about it.... it seems like it IS the problem.. but for shure it didn't happened before.. x264 not like that.

ok. we've targeted the problem. Now.
is it possible to.. well.. LIMIT CPU Usage of x264? (XviD-MultiThread uses about 80%CPU).

and.. few more questions: what are the meanings of "??-standart" "??-Insane" in MeGUIs Presets?
Old 2nd August 2006, 13:10   #6  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

oh Yeah.. and Why .. now i Understant why PC Hanged. BUT Why x264 Closes nd PC still works?

and as i mentioned: at First it was 1h10mins Length. then i devided it into 3 parts. and each part(well 2of3) had only ~9mins of 23. and on the 2nd part it seems like it went Reboot.

and is there any options to get debug info or something like crash report for x264?
Old 2nd August 2006, 14:20   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

There are a lot of different types of crashes. When avisynth crashes on XP SP2 it sometimes just causes whatever was using it to disappear. Sometimes the application crashes, and sometimes the system itself will bluescreen or become unstable if hardware is bad.

Oh, and check your error logs (eventvwr.msc) or turn reboot on bugcheck off, so at least you can see the bluescreen message. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's a red herring. See the hardware forum for a sticky on how to diagnose harware trouble. Can't hurt to update all your drivers too.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 16:37   #8  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

foxyshadis, thanks.. but a)Drivers ARE UpToDate b)some New Info below

About Sharktooth's "overheat the CPU" i think this IS the Problem (mine p4 goes to 55C DoublePass and (Just tested) SiglePass 52C )

as DarkZell666 Suggested I've Made 1Pass Encode.. And... IT WENT ALL-GOOD!!!! 52C on CPU .. but it didn't crash.

But.. this morning i've started HQ-Insane 2nd Pass(with Old .stats file) .. and.. on About 70% I went BlueScreen.

so i guess for this night i'll enque 2 other Eps with "CQ-ASP_Q2_eq(crf)".. Any other suggestions. 'cuse i'm new to x264 (well.. tested some of 11x builds ) .. and something ABOUT Presets!!!... Any Info.

I'm not limited in Space, and i need eXtremeQuality BackUP.
Old 2nd August 2006, 21:51   #9  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAwN_gUy
I'm not limited in Space, and i need eXtremeQuality BackUP.
If size really doesn't matter (as it seems if you are using the CRF equivalent of ASP Q2), I'd suggest using faster encoding settings. That way you might avoid the overheating problem and still get twice more done in the same time. You know, using the insane profile _is_ insane(ly slow)

Last edited by nm; 2nd August 2006 at 21:53.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 04:57   #10  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

CPU and RAM do get older..
I could perfectly well rip on my (now dead) Thunderbird for a long time, and at some point exactly that kind of stuff started to happen. As for why it only closes the app, it might be adress range protection if the app produced a memory adress outside of the apps allocated adress space (ie because the hardware is now "a little bit" faulty) Windows probably will not like it if the app tries to access that adress and closes it.

Well that's just how i explained to myself the crashes i had back then. It started to happen a few months before the CPU serously started to degrade quickly. At this point it did not really seriously heat up yet (that came only later).
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:15   #11  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm
If size really doesn't matter (as it seems if you are using the CRF equivalent of ASP Q2), I'd suggest using faster encoding settings.
well, today I have All 3(for DVD2) Eps RiPPed in CQ with quantiser 18.. will i get MOR Quality if i set Q22?
iow: Which One is Better Lesser or Bigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm
You know, using the insane profile _is_ insane(ly slow)
i'm not limited in CPU time Also ) I only Need Quality.

Last edited by SpAwN_gUy; 3rd August 2006 at 09:06.
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:30   #12  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

hi, be careful you aren't violating rule #6
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:54   #13  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by check
hi, be careful you aren't violating rule #6
/Lots of Napalm was here.

BTW.. i think i'll need to Read theese Rules 'cause never did it before.

"- Rule Number 6:.. "Concentrate""(c)Hercules/Disney

/I've Changed My Posts... to be Compliant to Rules.. (just read them)
And i'm not Having Problems with DVDs I only Have Problems and some "Newbie" questions about/with x264 ...

Last edited by SpAwN_gUy; 3rd August 2006 at 09:10.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:31   #14  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAwN_gUy
well, today I have All 3(for DVD2) Eps RiPPed in CQ with quantiser 18.. will i get MOR Quality if i set Q22?
iow: Which One is Better Lesser or Bigger?
18 is better quality than 22. However, I doubt you'll see much improvement when you go under 20, but the file sizes will grow a lot. If you want to use lower than 18, I'd suggest just copying the DVD's instead of re-encoding them. You'll get the original quality and avoid a lot of work.

Quote:
i'm not limited in CPU time Also )
Except for the stability problems.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:36   #15  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmei
CPU and RAM do get older..
I could perfectly well rip on my (now dead) Thunderbird for a long time, and at some point exactly that kind of stuff started to happen.
CPU and RAM breaking down is quite rare compared to problems with bad caps on the motherboard/PSU, or simply insufficient cooling (likely the cause in this case), both of which may cause similar stability problems.
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:13   #16  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm
18 is better quality than 22.
thanks... suddenly the Profile Had 18 .. Now I'm Happy (Urashi desu ne)

/* Now, I can be x284GURU Yeppie!!!
Old 6th August 2006, 02:10   #17  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

very good.

I would suggest tweaking your script a bit, perhaps to incorporate "smart" anamorphic encoding.

What this means, is that you want to not use any resize functions. You just overcrop to achieve mod16, or if there are not a lot of mattes, just dont even bother cropping.

Resize to the correct AR on playback. Having no resizer touch the source seems like better quality to me, especially when I resize on playback using lanczos in ffdshow and add a dabble of noise.

Just some food for thought

Also, when size is not an issue, I sometimes prefer XviD with didee's 6of9 matrix. It generates enormous filesizes, but really has the capability to keep every minute detail of the source without messing anything up. Plus, XviD is just so simple, tried and true. I use x264 for 99% of my stuff these days though don't get me wrong. Being able to encode full resolution at under 1mbit and get great results... thats awesome

~MiSfit
Old 7th August 2006, 08:07   #18  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit
I would suggest tweaking your script a bit, perhaps to incorporate "smart" anamorphic encoding.
What this means, is that you want to not use any resize functions. You just overcrop to achieve mod16, or if there are not a lot of mattes, just dont even bother cropping.
Resize to the correct AR on playback. Having no resizer touch the source seems like better quality to me, especially when I resize on playback using lanczos in ffdshow and add a dabble of noise.
well, i think this is a bit "UnProfessional". Some Players Don't have AR Button.. and some Users also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit
Also, when size is not an issue, I sometimes prefer XviD with didee's 6of9 matrix. It generates enormous filesizes, but really has the capability to keep every minute detail of the source without messing anything up. Plus, XviD is just so simple, tried and true.
I thought about that.. and i'm still thinking... 'cause i've noticed some "Artefacts". x264 produced some "stairs" in color when the Color eXtremely smoothly fades..
i think i'll do some to make some explainations... few mins of playing with output in MPC... well.. this might be just my imagination.. or.. i'll need to add some blur on output, 'cause DVDs seem to be Very nice, indeed. with no such things.
Old 25th August 2006, 09:18   #19  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Well... i'm back .. Again ...
if someOne interested in How i overcomed problems.. here Are Some Photos of my Current WorkSpace
http://www.ljplus.ru/img/s/p/spawn_g..._resize-01.JPG
http://www.ljplus.ru/img/s/p/spawn_g..._resize-02.JPG
and this one is.. about DVDs Quality:
http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?i...vs61270ls1.png