Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 2nd February 2002, 19:51   #1  |  Link
DSPguru
BeSweet Author

How To Submit A Bug Report

1 a. make sure you're using the latest release of BeSweet. (i can't support old versions).
2 b. feel free to report bugs for beta releases, unLess i already released a newer stable release.
3 c. don't send me bug-reports/query-for-help on Private-Message, this isn't a private issue! lots of people are interested in those bugs.
4 d. please state the command line was used. (if you use the GUI - click the "Copy command to clipboard" button).
5 e. always create a logfile and paste it in your thread. the whole logfile ! (let me decide what is relevant, and what isn't)
6 f. if BeSweet raised gpf (crashed), please state the process that raised the gpf (for instance : BeSweet.exe , hip.dll , azid.dll,...).
7 g. if it could be relevant - point out the operating system/computer system was used.

8 Latest stable release is : v1.4. Latest beta release is v1.5b31.
9 if you've downloaded a beta version, beware it's sometimes an upgrade to the latest stable version, and you must unpack the stable version first.

10 Known issues in v1.5 :
11 - not all FRC (frame-rate-conversion) values are supported. common FRCs are supported (NTSC2PAL / PAL2NTSC).
12 - OGG Vorbis output requires installation of OggDs.
13 - currently '-6chogg' doesn't work with -ssrc( .. ), -boost( .. ), -ota( -g .. ).
14 - ABR Ogg on 48khz isn't supported by the RC3 dlls, and will be switched with VBR Ogg. if you insist on using ABR, downsample the track using -ssrc( --rate 44100 ).
15 - Mono2Stereo plugin sometimes crashes when used together with SSRC. (this plugin isn't needed anymore, since v1.5)
16 - ac3enc.dll creates (almost) useless ac3 streams. don't use it to encode things you care for. it's there only for test purposes.
17 - Downsampling from 48Khz to 44.1Khz and doing frame-rate conversion of PAL to NTSC doesn't work at the same time. (simultaneous NTSC to PAL + downsampling does work). this should work if you use -soundtouch( ) for the PAL2NTSC instead of "-r"

18 Latest stable & beta releases of BeSweet can be found on my site.

Last edited by DSPguru; 8th September 2005 at 21:15.
DSPguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2002, 16:24   #2  |  Link
DSPguru
BeSweet Author

FAQs

1. i believe i found a bug. how do i make a bug-report ?
Read above on how to report bugs. also note :
- BeSweet offeres zillions of features while has less than 15 known bugs. if you believe you found a bug, there's a very high chance that either the bug is with your setup/commandline, or that this bug had already been reported, or maybe even fixed in one of the newest beta releases.
- Creating a new thread for reporting an already known issue will get you striked for Rule 1.
- Submitting a bug-report in a different way than i asked for (example : including only partial logfile), will get your report completely ignored.

2. how do i submit a feature request ?
start with reading the documantation and searching this forum,
in many cases you'll see that the feature is already offered.
in case this feature isn't offerd, you could :
- write a BeSweet plugin that implements your feature by yourself.
- create a new thread in the forum, asking for this feature.

3. i understood your tool answers my needs, but i don't know where to start from.
there are multilingual guides here.
i suggest that you read them all, 'cause, in a way, they complement each other and supply good understandment of BeSweet.
Currently, guides are avialble in : Englsh, Italian, German, Spanish, French, Russian & Slovak.

An additional AC3 to MP3 guide in Croatian courtesy of Neotronic is available here.

3B. Where can I find a good tutorial on using besweet from the commandline?

Check out the very thorough BeSweet Commandline Reference by Brother John. Translations are in progress or completed in several languages.

4. can you list BeSweet's features ?
Encoding & Decoding of multiple audio formats, Normalization, 7 Dynamic-Range Compression algorithms, 3 Gain assertions methods (PreGain, PostGain & Hybridgain), Sample-Rate-Conversion, Frame-Rate-Conversion, Equalization, (Frames-wise & Sample-wise) Delay Assertion, Silence Insertion, Extraction of audio streams from VOBs&AVI, Joining multiple streams, Cutting streams, Partial encoding of streams, ID3 Tagging.

5. oh no, OggMachine crashed !
make sure you have the latest release of msvbvm60.dll.
note - if you're having problems with BeSweetGUI, you'd need to download msvbvm50.dll .

6. why should i use OggMachine while i can use BeSweetGUI ?
it's just a matter of personal taste.
OggMachine is a simplified front-end for BeSweet, dedicated only for OGGs.
On the other hand, BeSweeGUI has a batch-mode for processing multiple files.

7. What are the input formats supported by BeSweet ?
AC3,LPCM,WAV,MP3,MP2,MPA,Ogg Vorbis.
also VOB & AVI containing the above audio formats are also supported.
LST & MUX files for multifiles processing.

7b. isnt DTS supported ?
no. BeSweet cannot decode dts streams.
for dts, you might wanna try the tool azidts.

8. What are the output formats offered by BeSweet ?
Mpeg - MP3,MP2,MPA.
AC3 - 2.0AC3, 5.1AC3, DolbyDigital WAV.
Ogg - Stereo, 6Ch vorbis.
AIFF - 5.1AIFF, 5.0AIFF.
WAVE - 16bit Stereo WAV. 16bit Multichannel 5.1 WAV. 16/32bit 6 Mono WAVs.

8b. What about AAC/MP4/DTS encoding ?
BeSweet can use external encoders like Nero's AAC/MP4 encoder and Surcode's CD/DVD DTS encoders. but those tools are not freewares, so this is only useful for users who owns those commercial tools.

9. is it possible to add a wav header to the MP3 created by BeSweet ?
yes, you can either select "Wave-MP3" as your output type on BeSweetGUI, or add "-wavmp3" to your -core( ) section.

10. is it possible to encode & merge several files into one directly with BeSweet ?
yes, using list files.
BeSweet supports two types of listfiles. you can find examples here.

11. is there any way to avoid creating the list file by myself ?
sure :
a. BeSweetGUI has batch mode where it automaticly generates those listfiles.
b. you could use the listfile generated by SmartRipper.

12. i used a listfile together with Azid's maxgain, but it only looked for the maximal gain of the first file .
if you want BeSweet to find the Overall maxgain, you should use OTA's maxgain.

13. how do i use BeSweet's Super Equalizer feature ?
read discussion in here.

14. i'm using WBIAS together with Winamp, trying to cut AC3, but having problems with the timestamps.
the weird thing is that when using WBIAS&WinAmp for cutting MP3 everything works fine .

make sure that you're using using Valex AC3 winamp plugin.
you can also try using Liquid's winamp plugin. although, there are few reports that this plugin is buggy.

15. so is there a better way to cut my AC3 ?
- just generate BeSplit's commandline manually.
- you could also use Chapter-X-Tractor to cut a long AC3 by chapters, according to timestamps imported from IFO files.

16. what are the input formats supported by BeSplit ?
WAV,PCM,AC3,AAC,MP3,MP2,MPA,DTS,DolbyDigital-WAV,DTS-WAV.

17. i've encoded a mono track with BeSweet, and got a double-speed encoded file, how can i avoid this problem ?
download the Mono2Stereo plugin, extract BS_M2S.dll to the BeSweet folder and add "-plugin( -name BS_M2S.dll -func Simple )" to the BeSweet commandline.
keep in mind that the '-func' switch is case sensitive!
* note : starting BeSweet v1.5, mono streams input is natively supported!

18. I've been using BeSure to transcode DVD into Dolby-Digital CDs and now want to try transcoding into DTS CDs, how do i do that ?
BeSure supports it, but you first need to purchase SurCode CD PRO DTS from here.

19. i'm confused! where can i find some example commandlines for BeSplit ?
check 'examples.txt' inside the BeSplit package.
an online version can be found here.

20. the BeSweet guide says that you should set an audio delay, But later in Nandub/GKnot, you should enter the delay value from your AC3/MP3 file in the delay audio track by XY ms field
you should compensate for the delay only once. either with BeSweet or with Nandub. one should be the A/V delay, and the other equals to zero.

21. what's the difference between libvorbis.dll, vorbis.dll, etc' ? what should i use with BeSweet ?
usually, BeSweet is using ogg.dll,vorbis.dll,vorbisenc.dll (also known as 'Vorbis SDK DLLs').
OggDS uses the same dlls, and therefore they aren't included in the BeSweet package.
there's another library called libVorbis.dll that merged ogg.dll,vorbis.dll,vorbisenc.dll,vorbisfile.dll into one unified file.
if BeSweet finds libVorbis.dll in the BeSweet folder, it will use it instead of the SDK dlls.

22. so why should i want to use libVorbis.dll ?
the Vorbis SDK DLLs are a binary compile of vorbis v1.0, while libVorbis.dll is a most updated snapshot of vorbis development. so if you feel like experimenting and supplying feedbacks to the developers - this library is for you !

23. is it possible to add a wav header to the AAC/MP3/AC3 processed by BeSplit ?
yes, using the -core( -addriff ) switch.

24. BeSplit. How am I supposed to deal with a delay of say -500msec ?
BeSplit -core( -input original.ac3 -prefix e:\track -type ac3 -ending ) -split( 0.500 )

track01.ac3 will be the original track without its start.

25. transcoding ac3 to mp2, how do i normalize the track to only 95% of maxgain ?
use the following switch : -azid( -g 0.95 )

25b. and how do i normalize to maxgain-3db ?
use the following switch : -azid( -g -3db )

26. oops, BeSweet reported "CRC Error"..
CRC Errors means that some parts of the AC3 stream are corrupted. that happens..
in case you only got few CRC errors in a ~90mins movie, that's pretty much indistinguished.
in case you got plenty of CRC erros, you might wanna rip again the AC3 stream.
you could also use BeSweet's VOB->MP3 direct mode.

27. out of all existing sampling-rate-convertors source-codes around, why did pick SSRC for BeSweet ?
here's a comparision that proves that SSRC is simply the best :
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fa/efu/fsconv/fsconv_2.html

28. i don't like to have ID3 tags at the end of my encoded files. how do i prevent BeSweet from storing them ?
add -noid3 to your core switches.

29. i want to write a tool that uses BeSweet.dll and i need help with programming, should i PM you ?
i cannot offer personal support, and there are more people who would be interested in reading my replies. please post your programming thoughts in here.

30. is it true that BeSweet cannot read/write wave files over the size of 2GB ?
BeSweet CAN read a (mono/stereo/multichannel) 32bit floating-point wave larger than 2GB.
starting v1.5b27, BeSweet can also read those kind of files, larger than 4GB.
on all other cases (like encoding 5.1wave..), the limitation still exists.

31. i have six mono waves and would like to encode it to a multichannel ac3/ogg. can BeSweet do that ?
yes. you need to create a ".mux" file, i.e., a textfile with the name of the mono waves :
Quote:
g:\channelFL.wav
g:\channelC.wav
g:\channelFR.wav
g:\channelSL.wav
g:\channelSR.wav
g:\channelLFE.wav
then feed it to BeSweet : -core( -input channels.mux ... )

31b. and what's the advised channel ordering for producing 6chwav/6chaiff ?
it's :
Quote:
g:\channelFL.wav
g:\channelFR.wav
g:\channelC.wav
g:\channelLFE.wav
g:\channelSL.wav
g:\channelSR.wav
32. the ".mux" filetype feature is very cool, but i want to encode dts with surcode's tools rather than BeSweet. how about integration ?
you can use BeSweet to encode anything, including ".mux", to dts, assuming you have Surcode's CD or Surcode's DVD encoders.
the following are two commandline samples :

6 mono waves->dts :
BeSweet.exe -core( -input e:\audio\channels.mux -output c:\win98\temp\mono -logfile c:\dts.txt ) -surdvd( -b 768 -output e:\audio\audio.dts -path "C:\Program Files\Surcode dvd pro dts" )

ac3->dtswav :
BeSweet.exe -core( -input e:\audio\guitarsolo.ac3 -output c:\win98\temp\mono -logfile c:\dtswav.txt ) -surcd( -output e:\audio\audio.wav -path "C:\Program Files\Music\SurCode CD Pro DTS" )

1. the red paramater sets the prefix for the temporary 6 waves filenames.
2. the blue parameter sets the outputfile actual filename.
3. the green parameter sets the path of surcodedts.exe.

32b. Sometimes BeSweet doesn't notice that Surcode had finished encoding and doesn't close it. what should i do ?
the best thing to do in this situation is to manually close the Surcode window. BeSweet will notice that it had been closed and continue working on the next file.

33. How to encode properly in AAC with the Nero Digital Encoder Engine ?
First, you need bsn.dll from the last BeSweet beta package. Then, this library uses aacenc32.dll, aac.dll and NeroIPP.dll from Nero Bundle. So, grab & copy them from Common Files/Ahead/AudioPlugins folder. In addition, if you have Nero 7 you can use also bse_Nero7WA.dll from Dimzon plugins.

34. I've got an error message [Error 83: error configuring bsn] when I transcode my file in AAC with the Nero Digital Encoder. What's going on ?
First, be sure to have bsn.dll in BeSweet folder. Second, with Nero 7 you could have this issue because Nero dlls fail to load mfc71.dll. You can find it in Common Files/Ahead/Lib folder. Copy this library in BeSweet folder or directly in Windows/System32 directory.

35. I've got an error message [Error 84: error configuring bsn] when I transcode my file in AAC. What's going on ?
First, be sure to have bsn.dll in BeSweet folder. Second, check if you have NeroIPP.dll. You can find it in Common Files/Ahead/Lib folder. Copy this library in BeSweet folder or directly in Windows/System32 directory.

36. I've seen that you mention Dimzon plugins. What is it exactly ?
Dimzon has created some additional plugins to have the possibility to transcode our files with FAAC, WinAmp AAC+, 3GPP Ref and Speex encoders. To enable this in BeSweet, you must have the last BeSweet beta and add -dimzon(...) switch in your command line. More infos here.

Last edited by KpeX; 28th April 2006 at 20:43.
DSPguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 02:07   #4  |  Link
killerhex

im getting im getting error #-1073741819 (besweet)
killerhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:07   #5  |  Link
AlanHK

Many of the links to guides listed at
http://dspguru.notrace.dk/guides.html are dead.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2006, 16:42   #6  |  Link
AlanHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK
Many of the links to guides listed at
http://dspguru.notrace.dk/guides.html are dead.
They're still dead. Is anyone reading this?

It seems DSPguru hasn't posted anything at all for almost a year. So is BeSweet abandoned?

Last edited by AlanHK; 6th July 2006 at 16:57.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 21:38   #7  |  Link
angelxx

my logfile

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\tmp\vob_samples\sample1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -85ms.ac3
[00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\tmp\vob_samples\sample1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -85ms.mp4
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: No
Error 84: error configuring bsn!
angelxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2007, 23:06   #8  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelxx View Post
my logfile

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\tmp\vob_samples\sample1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -85ms.ac3
[00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\tmp\vob_samples\sample1 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY -85ms.mp4
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: No
Error 84: error configuring bsn!
The log file must be complete to know besweet and bsn versions, also the command line is necessary.

BTW to encode to aac use the last Belight version with actualized bsn.dll to support NeroAacEnc and CT encoder (winamp)
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 04:10   #9  |  Link
Randa

I finally found out how to install and use Besweet and Belight. The question I have is this: The program immediately converted my VOB Audio files into MP3 Files with no problem but at the top of the black pop up window indicating what the program is doing there is this message "Error 64: unable to get ogg.dll interface download and install ogg vorbis DS (direct show filter)".As this did not effect my converting VOB files to MP3 is this download necessary? I am using Besweet 1.5 and Belight 0.21 as I was informed through doom9 that Belight 0.22 does not support conversion of VOB files. I also downloaded to the same folder the VOB Input dll file. Would Belight 0.22 support converting VOB files to MP3 if this VOB Input dll file was present, or does it not support it at all? I appreciate the information
Randa
Randa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 11:28   #10  |  Link
CrazyJ32
Very, very, very confused

This program is broken.

Iv loaded all the codecs and I get nothing, not even a failure.

Just ...transcoding... forever.
CrazyJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2007, 13:19   #11  |  Link
Earl1983

<suspicious link removed>

Last edited by pacohaas; 20th December 2007 at 15:56.
Earl1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 05:03   #12  |  Link
superdragonpoop

I initially thought I had a bug with BeSweet, but it turned out to be a SoundBlaster issue. Apparently with some of the newest drivers you can have a spontaneous loss of surround sound. In my case I dropped I lost Center and Rear but kept L/R. This made me think that BeSweet was encoding dialog incorrectly so I attempted (for days) to raise the dialog volume level.

So, in short, if you're having dialog volume problems check all your speaker outputs for sound. Even if your card is reporting 5.1(or whatever your setup)!

I'm just throwing this out there to prevent DSP any headaches related to this issue.

DSPGuru...Thanks for your efforts! BeSweet is awesome!(but you already knew that right??)
superdragonpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 15:54   #13  |  Link
Deano123

Within The Options Of Boost Mode (LigH, DSPGuru & Tera) Which Does The Best Job?

Never Got Much Out Of This
Ligh: Defines the dynamic compression’s strength using an algorithm by LigH. Valid arguments range from 1 to 10. With a value around 3 this switch is especially useful for stereo sources.

DSPGuru: Defines the dynamic compression’s strength using an algorithm by DSPguru. Valid arguments range from 1 to 10. With a value around 4 this switch is especially useful for 6-channel sources

Tera: Defines the dynamic compression’s strength using an algorithm by Tera. Valid arguments range from 1 to 10.

Last edited by Deano123; 12th February 2008 at 15:59.
Deano123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:45   #14  |  Link
Ramir Gonzales

Can someone tell me why Besweet makes a dbGain of some dB after encoding please ?

Why does it do that ? Why not keep the original soundlevel ?
Doesn't this make the output distorted ?
Ramir Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:59   #15  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramir Gonzales View Post
Can someone tell me why Besweet makes a dbGain of some dB after encoding please ?

Why does it do that ? Why not keep the original soundlevel ?
Doesn't this make the output distorted ?

Without the command line we can't figure out what is the problem.
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:05   #16  |  Link
Ramir Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post

Without the command line we can't figure out what is the problem.
Hi tebasuna,

BeSweet is used by StaxRip, which I use to convert my DVDs to xvid .AVI or x264 .MKV

This is part of the output log from Staxrip.
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------
                       Audio Encoding
------------------------------------------------------------

"C:\Documents and Settings\Ramir\Local Settings\Application Data\StaxRip\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe"
-core( -input "C:\Oscar AnyDVD Rip\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 01 fr-French 2_0ch 224Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3"
-output "C:\Oscar AnyDVD Rip\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 01 fr-French 2_0ch 224Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp3" )
-azid( -c normal -L -3db ) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain ) -shibatch( --rate 44100 )
-lame( --alt-preset cbr 128 --resample 44.1)
I really don't know why this has to be done.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:49   #17  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
BeSweet is used by StaxRip, which I use to convert my DVDs to xvid .AVI or x264 .MKV
Then maybe you need ask to the StaxRip author.

I can explain here how work this command line:
1) -azid( -c normal -L -3db )
BeSweet call Azid (ac3 decoder) to decode your input file with the parameters:

-c normal
this apply the Normal Dynamic Range Compresion then the high volumes are attenuated until -20dB and the low volumes are amplified slightly. You can see here the profiles (for a movie the Film Standard is applied).
Apply the DRC at transcode step is only recommended when is destined to a low end audio equipment.

-L -3db
This mix the LFE channel to front channels at -3dB in each one.
Like your ac3 source is "...2_0ch..." you don't have LFE channel, then this command do nothing.
BTW, Dolby never recommend use the LFE channel to downmix.

2) -ota( -d 0 -hybridgain )
Some audio management

-d 0
apply a 0 delay (do nothing) remenber your source "...DELAY 0ms..."

-hybridgain
This apply a two pass gain, first before encode (to avoid overflows at encode pass) and a second gain after encode (possible when you have mp3 output) to match the max volume without distort (without clips).
This method is absolutely recommended after a DRC.

3) -shibatch( --rate 44100 )
Samplerate conversion from 48000 to 44100.
Only recommended when you need burn an Audio CD.
For a movie track is only lose time and quality.

4) -lame( --alt-preset cbr 128 --resample 44.1)
Now BeSweet send the audio to Lame (mp3 encoder)

--alt-preset cbr 128
using a constant bitrate of 128 Kb/s

--resample 44.1
One more time!
Samplerate conversion, now from 44100 to 44100 (do nothing).

----------------------------------------------
The answer to your first questions:
"Can someone tell me why Besweet makes a dbGain of some dB after encoding please ?
Why does it do that ? Why not keep the original soundlevel ?"

Because you use -azid( -c normal ) -ota( -hybridgain )

"Doesn't this make the output distorted ?"
The -ota( -hybridgain ) only amplify the Film Std profile from -20dB to 0dB without distort.
Any distortion must be imputed to apply the DRC.
------------------------------------------------

If you want preserve the exact volume level you can use this command line:
Code:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Ramir\Local Settings\Application Data\StaxRip\Applications\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe"
 -core( -input "C:\Oscar AnyDVD Rip\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 01 fr-French 2_0ch 224Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3"
 -output "C:\Oscar AnyDVD Rip\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 01 fr-French 2_0ch 224Kbps DELAY 0ms_AudioOutput.mp3" )
 -lame( --alt-preset cbr 128 )
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:49   #18  |  Link
Ramir Gonzales

Thank you very much for this thorough and helpful post tebasuna51 !!!

Now I understand ! :-)
Old 5th April 2009, 15:57   #19  |  Link
kalia

Quote:
Thank you very much for this thorough and helpful post tebasuna51 !!!

Now I understand ! :-)
i second that. i'm actually quite new to this forum and new to the encoding, decoding, capture, compression game. thanx you've helped make things a little bit clearer.

kalia.
kalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 21:56   #20  |  Link
krabapple

The links to guides in English, and only English, are broken on this page

http://besweet.notrace.dk/guides.htm

Is there a reason for that?
krabapple is offline   Reply With Quote