Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2013, 00:44   #1  |  Link
marsoupilami

SubSplicer 1.0 - merging tool for text subtitles released!

Hi there!

SubSplicer is a tool to overlay two subtitle files of different languages for displaying them simultaneously.
It generates a text subtitle file (srt/sub) containing both subtitle streams. The subtitles are vertically stacked in multiple lines corresponding to their time marks. Overlapping subtitles are broken up into multiple parts if required, and empty lines are inserted for keeping vertical position. One subtitle set is displayed bottom aligned, the other one some lines above. They should seem independent. Applying different colors is optional.

Some known problems are e.g.:
"Blank lines" are well undocumented - therefore the behaviour of players, sub filters and converters is slightly unpredictable. Implementation of other features like tag processing varies on the other hand ... All together this could lead to a painful and endless try & error process...

- VLC displays utf-8 and supports color tags but skips all trailing blank lines and seems to have troubles with sub/srt overlay on DVD
- VobSub (+MPClassic) supports color tags (multiple lines works only in *.sub), but I couldn't get it run with unicode...
- KMP supports color & unicode, but I'm not satisfied with picture quality (video)
- .. and my beloved SubtitleCreator doesn't understand unicode and cannot deal with colors

One or more of the tools are "eating up" only the very last blank line (vobsub?) - that's what "double line" is good for. Some others are ignoring all trailing blank lines - "last is dot" was my only idea.
Feel free playing around with the settings (but keep in mind the different behaviour of srt and sup).

"Besides" SubSplicer provides some other features:
appending multiple files
synchronizing
delay / stretch / frame rate conversion
overlap time correction
srt / sub conversion
tag stripping

Here on my pages you can find more information and the strange thing itself:
=> http://members.aon.at/marsoupilami/SubSplicer.htm <=

Please let me know, which tools (but please only the important ones) are able to digest the output and what are the problems....

p.s. ... about one year ago I had the idea for this crazy tool - now I found the time to write it.
It's a 1st approach - please don't beat me

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

http://members.aon.at/marsoupilami/
marsoupilami is offline   Reply With Quote