Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2008, 17:18   #1  |  Link
kakomu

Current State of BR decryption/encoding

Hello all:

I'm attempting to ascertain the current state of Blu Ray decryption and encoding. I've read through a some of the Blu Ray threads that I've found on here, but I've not been able to readily determine exactly where the progress is at.

That being said, I just have a few questions:
A) I've read that AnyDVD is currently able to rip and decrypt a Blu-Ray disc stripping it of AACS and BD+ decryption. What other decryption is left that would be problematic?

B) Do most programs already automatically find and extract AACS keys, or is it necessary to find them myself?

C) What are the current de facto standard pieces of software for BR decryption?

D) With current decryption methods of BR discs, is it possible to just use a demuxer of one sort or another to decode the stream for later resizing/encoding?

Thanks in advance.
kakomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:39   #2  |  Link
nurbs

A) They can always change AACS keys on new disks and I think they don't use all features of BD+ yet. Slysoft has a good track record of keeping up with changes.
B) With free software you have to make sure the keys are available. There are key databases you can download. I don't know if they already have the AACS key currently in use. Free software doesn't do BD+ yet as far as I know, but apparantly people are working on it.
C) AnyDVD HD
D) Sure. I recommend you take a look in the audio forum at eac3to for the demuxing and audio handling.

Last edited by nurbs; 23rd September 2008 at 18:41.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:25   #3  |  Link
kakomu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
B) With free software you have to make sure the keys are available. There are key databases you can download. I don't know if they already have the AACS key currently in use. Free software doesn't do BD+ yet as far as I know, but apparantly people are working on it.
What methods are available to extract AACS keys from BR disks without using a database?
kakomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 20:26   #4  |  Link
FoxDisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakomu View Post
A) I've read that AnyDVD is currently able to rip and decrypt a Blu-Ray disc stripping it of AACS and BD+ decryption. What other decryption is left that would be problematic?
There isn't any other decryption left that would be problematic. All current discs can be decrypted completely. The problem is not some other type of encryption. The problem is that both BD+ and AACS can be changed when new discs are released. No one has a generic guaranteed method of decrypting a new release. Slysoft/AnyDVD have done very well in the past, and free tools are not far behind, but there aren't any guarantees about the future. Despite this, I suspect that the past record is likely to continue into the future for quite a while, and older discs are permanently unlocked.

Quote:
B) Do most programs already automatically find and extract AACS keys, or is it necessary to find them myself?
At the very highest level, you might say that none of the programs "automatically find and extract AACS keys." There is no known method to do that. New discs need new higher level keys to find lower level keys. Older higher level keys do not work with the newest discs. New higher level keys are obtained from examining licensed software, like PowerDVD. Even AnyDVD needs manual work to find the newest keys before it can find the lower level keys needed for decryption. Nonetheless, AnyDVD does almost all the work for you. Other tools may require you to enter lower level keys found by others into them or into a database before they work. Alternatively, you may need to do some work with higher level keys to produce the lower level keys you need.
FoxDisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2008, 20:04   #5  |  Link
SvT
Never Grow Up !

Just some news on the status of BD+.

I didn't want to go OT in the other thread so this looks like a good place. I think it's time for a little celebration !

About 2 months after the original posting:

Quote:
I am glad to announce the first successful restoration of the BD+ protected movie "The Day After Tomorrow" in linux. It was done using a blue ray drive with patched firmware (to get the volume id), DumpHD to decrypt the contents according to the AACS specification and the BDVM debugger from this thread to generate the conversion table. The conversion table is the key information to successfully repair all the broken parts in m2ts files to restore the original video content.

Well done everyone!
Read all about it !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...78#post1207578

SvT is offline   Reply With Quote