Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 5th March 2007, 11:49   #581  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Leak, that sounds amazing. I gave it an hour and sort of gave up, I'm so glad you have more stamina. Attaching a patch to the tracker and making a post linking to it here would probably be the best way.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 11:56   #582  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Leak, that sounds amazing. I gave it an hour and sort of gave up, I'm so glad you have more stamina. Attaching a patch to the tracker and making a post linking to it here would probably be the best way.
Roger that.

Gimme a day or two or so for the aforementioned clean-ups and interface changes, though.

And then there's that dentist appointment I'm off to in a few minutes... *ouch*
Old 6th March 2007, 13:17   #583  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
Ok, testing build revision 993, drevil compile, I always after install select the run audio and video config windows.
Please test rev 994 or later, if it is fixed.
Old 7th March 2007, 00:50   #584  |  Link
clsid

Subtitle suggestion:

Currently a user must choose between "Search in" and "File". I prefer (heuristic) search, but occasionally I manually need to select the correct file (from "subtitle sources"). Problem is that ffdshow remembers that setting. So next time I use it with a different video, it will use the wrong subs.

My suggestion is to remove the radio buttons. ffdshow should always use the Search method. A user can override the selected sub when needed by using the File field. That sub should then be used during the active session only.
Old 7th March 2007, 01:52   #585  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Problem is that ffdshow remembers that setting.
Good idea!
It drove me nuts one time until I "figured out" to set ffdshow back to search for subtitles...
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 04:20   #586  |  Link
molitar

Well I am trying to use a software called uICE to send keyboard messages to the window to activate OSD. But for the life of me I can't get it to work at all. OSD works fine if I manually type in the keys but when I try to use the app uICE to send keys to it it does not register.

uICE can be downloaded from here... http://www.mediatexx.com/ it's only $20 vs $100 for Proximis Girder so I really would like some help on figuring out how to make it work with ffdshow so I can use this one. It also works 100x better with my serial port X10 remote while Proximis Girder will keep messing up the remote commands.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 06:04   #587  |  Link
500 Kip

I get the following error when trying to launch the "Audio Decoder Configuration" from the start menu.

I'm using "ffdshow_rev1004_20070306_xxl.exe"
500 Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 10:14   #588  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 Kip View Post
I get the following error when trying to launch the "Audio Decoder Configuration" from the start menu.

I don't reproduce the problem with the ffdshow_rev1004_20070306_xxl.exe
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 10:55   #589  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 Kip View Post

Are there any body who can reproduce this?
If not, the file (your local copy) may be broken.
Old 7th March 2007, 15:59   #590  |  Link
Episode
n00b

Sorry, I cannot reproduce it either. Must be broken file or incomplete installation.
Episode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 23:59   #591  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Gimme a day or two or so for the aforementioned clean-ups and interface changes, though.
Okay... it's probably gonna take a wee bit longer yet, as I hadn't taken into account that static DVD menus don't like simply being buffered for a certain number of frames because they'll never get displayed due to there being no notification that the remaining frames need to be flushed.

That's why I had to make a small modification to tvideocodeclibmpeg2.cpp/.h as well to signal the end of an MPEG2 sequence inside the picture's fieldtype flags. If that flag is encountered, the AviSynth filter will now flush all buffered frames and then reset the AviSynth environment, which is a bit ugly but also about the only way to make sure nothing is left in AviSynth's cache...

Oh yeah - code for applying 3:2 pulldown according to the TFF/BFF flags was also neccessary in turn to fix badly flagged DVDs with TIVTC.

So what's left is extending the UI to make the filter configurable, making a patch, testing it against a recent SVN checkout and submitting it, but I'll leave that for tomorrow. *yawn*

Oh yeah, another thing - while working with ffdshow as an MPEG2 decoder I noticed a total absence of DVD subtitles; am I right to assume that decoding/displaying of those is not implemented yet, or did I forget to throw a switch somewhere in the config dialogs?

np: Boards Of Canada - Aquarius (Version 3) (Peel Session)
Old 8th March 2007, 00:56   #592  |  Link
MacAddict
XviD User

Leak, thanks for your efforts in the cleanup. For me, watching a DVD with subtitles just requires me to right click in the window and select the subtitle from the sub-menu. Is this what you were looking for? Now that I think about it that might be MPC's sub engine :-\
Old 8th March 2007, 01:25   #593  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict View Post
Leak, thanks for your efforts in the cleanup. For me, watching a DVD with subtitles just requires me to right click in the window and select the subtitle from the sub-menu. Is this what you were looking for? Now that I think about it that might be MPC's sub engine :-\
I can only second the first sentence.

As to MPEG-2 subtitles, there are none ... MPC's internal engine renders them in VMR9 and VMR7 renderless modes, which I don't use (VMR7 windowed as a rule). A fellow like me is derived of all possibilities of having DVD subtitles - MPC's splitter indicates their presence, but they cannot be rendered - neither while using MPC's MPEG-2 decoder (works better) nor ffdshow's one (works a bit worse, though has improved much recently).

If ffdshow's MPEG-2 decoding improved, then I could use VMR9 renderless + HQ RGB32. Internal ffdshow's support would be nice, though.

@ clsid
Thanks a bunch for the latest 1006 ICL9 build!

@ h_yamagata
I could praise your name for working on ffdshow's subtitles (and albain's, whoever he is)

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 8th March 2007 at 02:04.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 03:07   #594  |  Link
Keepitsimple

whats wrong with ffdshows mpeg2 decoding?
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 03:22   #595  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepitsimple View Post
whats wrong with ffdshows mpeg2 decoding?
By simple watching, if you don't touch the keyboard, absolutely nothing. Artefacts (usually some macroblocks) appear while seeking/skipping + you've got to wait a while (from 1 sec to eternity ). I haven't got such problems while using the built-in MPC's decoding (ironically, both come from the same source i.e. ffmpeg).
Old 8th March 2007, 14:34   #596  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBangeR77 View Post
By simple watching, if you don't touch the keyboard, absolutely nothing. Artefacts (usually some macroblocks) appear while seeking/skipping + you've got to wait a while (from 1 sec to eternity ). I haven't got such problems while using the built-in MPC's decoding (ironically, both come from the same source i.e. ffmpeg).
As for DVD subtitles, I have not tested much.
But the artifacts have been fixed at rev 750 (libmpeg2).
Is it still noticeable?

Oh, yes, libavcodec mpeg2 decoder has such issue, please use libmpeg2.
Old 8th March 2007, 14:51   #597  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
haven't got such problems while using the built-in MPC's decoding ironically, both come from the same source i.e. ffmpeg
MPC uses libmpeg2 not ffmpeg.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 18:14   #598  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get an instance of the ffdShow Audio Processor in my little Delphi program. But I'm desperately failing. This returns "class not registered":

Code:
const ffdShowAudioProcessor : TGuid = '{B86F6BEE-E7C0-4D03-8D52-5B4430CF6C88}';

CoCreateInstance(ffdShowAudioProcessor, nil, CLSCTX_ALL, IID_IBaseFilter, ffdShow);
The very same code works for every other DShow filter I've tried - but not for ffdShow. This code works:

Code:
CoCreateInstance(ffdShowAudioProcessor, nil, CLSCTX_ALL, IID_IUnknown, ffdShow);
However, trying to get an IBaseFilter interface (by using QueryInterface) again fails.

Can anybody help, please?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 22:08   #599  |  Link
HeadBangeR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
As for DVD subtitles, I have not tested much.
But the artifacts have been fixed at rev 750 (libmpeg2).
Is it still noticeable?
I know it has really improved much somewhere after ICL9 743 (which still had many artefacts), as I wrote above. I thought everything was ok, yet after 10 minutes of seeking and jumping forwards and backwards I noticed some macroblocks (occasionally). Seeking wasn't perfect btw. (tried many DVDs, and my both optical drives + my notebook).

Quote:
Oh, yes, libavcodec mpeg2 decoder has such issue, please use libmpeg2.
I've been using libmpeg2 all the time back from the beginning, so it's libmpeg2 (ffdshow) vs. libmpeg2 (MPC) duel.

Last edited by HeadBangeR77; 8th March 2007 at 22:59.
HeadBangeR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 22:39   #600  |  Link
DeepBeepMeep

It seems there is a compatibility problem with Haali Filter and Ffdshow tryouts. The Video is accelerated at 29.97 fps instead of staying at 23.976 and Audio / Video gets out sync
when an EVO with VC1 is played.

It occurs if Ffdshow is added in the DirectShow chain that is:
- if Ffdshow is the VC1 decoder with either choice of codec
- if WMVVideo is the VC1 decoder and is followed by Ffdshow in the DirectShow chain

If WMVVideo is used alone there isn't any audio / video sync problem.

My assumption is that Telecine flags such as "Repeat field" are ignored by the the Ffshow filter.
DeepBeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl