Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 12th October 2008, 00:35   #1  |  Link
Priapismic

Blu-ray movie on hard drive - how to play

New computer
New bie

Hi folks,
I searched to no avail for this...:
Just got a new computer with a blu-ray burner/player. Got Anydvd. Ripped my movie to the hard drive but Cyberlink PowerDVD won't play it from there like it will from the disc. In fact, it won't even open it, and I have updated the program. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Also, I have read here about many of you are backing up your Blu-rays to DVD, but I can't find a definitive thread that explains this process. Would love some step-by-step help if anyone has time. Thanks!
Priapismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 00:42   #2  |  Link
NanoBot

Hi,

you are doing nothing wrong. All newer versions of PowerDVD will refuse to play a BD or HD-DVD file structure from your HDD. Instead, you will have to rip the disk to an iso image and mount that image, e.g. with Slysofts "Virtual Clone Drive". Then you can select the drive letter from the mounted iso file as source within PowerDVD, and it should work.The difference is that PowerDVD now is seeing your ripped disk as a drive instead as a bunch of files.

C.U. NanoBot

Last edited by NanoBot; 12th October 2008 at 00:47.
NanoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 10:33   #3  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Or just install ArcSoft Total Media Tethre and enjoy in watching HDDVD and Blu-Ray titles from hdd
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 00:20   #4  |  Link
Priapismic

I tried the first suggestion and all is well. I know Arcsoft makes some fine products but since I already have Anydvd, and am quite impressed with Slysoft's products, I went with their drive emulator. Thank you both for your kind attention.

I have some other questions - if there is still anyone watching this;

1) I have placed the movie on my hdd in both ISO and m2ts formats. I like m2ts for viewing as it eliminates all of the blubs. BUT someday I am going to want to put it on a disc (when I get a player) - either DVD(s) or BD (when the price comes down, or both, so:
which format should I keep or does it matter?
What format will a BD player recognize?
Will I have to encode it? If so, what to use I have done a lot of reading here; Ripbot? TSMuxer? Some other?
If I encode to DVD(s), what encoder do I use? I tried my old stand-by DVDShrink and it obviously won't open a m2ts...DUH!

My intent is to keep the 1080 quality.
Any help is gratefully accepted. THANK YOU!
Old 17th October 2008, 02:09   #5  |  Link

Just play your original disk.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 03:20   #6  |  Link
Priapismic

I like experimenting and learning.
This process fascinates me and I know there are many others with similar questions. Much of this, if it is covered anywhere...at all, is buried deep within a fragmented, disjointed thread that benefits no one.
And isn't that what a forum is for? The sharing of a collective knowledge for the enrichment of each other and those who will follow?
Old 17th October 2008, 08:21   #7  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I think neuron2's point was, why do something as ridiculous as spending $20-30 on a Blu-Ray movie, then either break it up on several DVD-5's or spend another $10 on a blank BD just to watch it, when you can watch it from the original disk? The type of questions your asking are usually those asked by people who have either downloaded a BD-rip or have rented a Blu-Ray disk and are trying to make a copy. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priapismic
which format should I keep or does it matter?
It doesn't matter since you can always re-rip from your original disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priapismic
If I encode to DVD(s), what encoder do I use?
Why wouldn't you just buy a standard DVD copy to begin with rather than Blu-Ray hardware and disks?
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 09:58   #8  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Yeah but given the cost of the originals and the cost of blanks I can understand why people would want to play them from hard disk to:
(a) prevent damage to a costly original, and;

(b) avoid purchasing an also costly blank for every disk you have.
It's a perfectly reasonable request in my mind but the onus is definitely on the OP to clarify their aims.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:25   #9  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Yeah but given the cost of the originals and the cost of blanks I can understand why people would want to play them from hard disk to
That question was answered straightforwardly. Now the OP has morphed the thread into something different.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:48   #10  |  Link
Priapismic

Quote:
The type of questions your asking are usually those asked by people who have either downloaded a BD-rip or have rented a Blu-Ray disk and are trying to make a copy
Of course! That is a reasonable assumption as I am sure most of the lurkers here are of roguish intent.

Please allow me this: I own about 700 DVDs. All have been archived onto +Rs. The originals (but for one) are in pristine condition and will stay that way.
I own (so far) 2 BDs. Both have been archived onto a hdd because blanks are unreasonably priced. When they come down I wish to do as I have done for the DVDs but don't yet understand the encoding process (though I have read the two guides here five times!) and so, until I learn more I wish to know which format benefits me most, ISO or m2ts, rather than duplicate my efforts again for no reason.

May I point out that had I wanted to steal rentals, which I do not and have never rented a movie in my life, I would not need to continue this thread; I already have the ability to copy movies to hdd and watch them from there.
Old 17th October 2008, 20:47   #11  |  Link
cwl7454
Dragon Slayer

Priapismic,

Unfortunately as of late it seems that the norm on this sight anymore is to assume that you are illegally coping, guilty untill you prove your innocense seems to apply, that's why I tend to "lurk" anymore, not interested in the accustations or that I should have to justify my request to strangers.

Foxconn P45A-S/Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHZ/Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro/16GB OCZ2VU80016GQ DDR2 800MHZ/Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 PCIe Crossfire x2
cwl7454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 21:34   #12  |  Link
Priapismic

I figure the seasoned veterans are just protecting their site.
I am new here, and it is human nature to treat newness with caution.
Besides, there are quite a few sites where this information can be gleaned,
I can go anywhere and be rejected
Old 18th October 2008, 06:52   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

@Priapismic

Hi!

The following link may provide you with some of your desired information:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...64#post1196964
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 13:22   #14  |  Link
Priapismic

Clearly a valuable commodity and worth having.
I will purchase it when disc prices allow me to use it to backup my (soon-to-be-burgeoning) collection.

Thank you one and all!
Old 27th October 2008, 13:27   #15  |  Link
SamuriHL

You seem to have two goals here. You were interested in m2ts files because it gets rid of all the previews, extras, etc which is not a bad goal for your backups. But, you want a format that's easily burned to disc when media becomes cheaper. That's also not a bad thing. I make movie only ISOs of all my BD movies. This saves space on the hard drive and gives me what I want in a backup...the movie. If I want the extras and all that, I'll pull it off the shelf. Most of the time I'm interested in simply watching the movie. In any case, if you have AnyDVD, you can do the following:

-Open BDInfo and scan your disc. This will tell you the playlist file for the main movie. (Useful for movies that are split in seamless branching)
-Open TSMuxer and open the playlist discovered in BDInfo
-Select/Deselect the streams you want to keep/remove
-Write it out to a BD Folder Structure
-Use ImgBurn to create a new UDF 2.50 ISO from your BD folder structure

This will give you a movie only ISO that you can mount and play back in any software player, and when prices are cheaper you can then burn it back to a blank disc, as well.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 15:43   #16  |  Link
Priapismic

I appreciate your offer of help and my goals are just as you say.
I tried BDinfo however it will not open the disc. The error dialog says;

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all the required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

There is nothing wrong with the disc, it is perfect. Powerdvd plays it just fine. Anydvd parses it just fine. I'm stumped...again.
Old 27th October 2008, 15:44   #17  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's because you're running Windows XP and do not have a UDF driver installed. Search Google for "Toshiba UDF driver" and you'll find what you need.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:00   #18  |  Link
NorthPole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon3i View Post
Or just install ArcSoft Total Media Tethre and enjoy in watching HDDVD and Blu-Ray titles from hdd

What version of Total Media Theatre allows playback of Blu-ray from your hdd?
NorthPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 18:01   #19  |  Link
SamuriHL

I have the latest retail version... 2.1.6.121 and it offers that feature.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:06   #20  |  Link
Priapismic

Yes indeed, that opened it. Thanks! I found the thread with instructions right here at "home" on doom9
I need to play around with TSmuxer a bit more to get it right. The outputed m2ts had no sound in Powerdvd, but did in VLCmedia player. But VLC froze up after a few minutes with a YUV problem and closed. I burned an ISO with Imgburn anyway and, sure enough, no sound. I left all of the files checked in TSmuxer except for french...and ticked "create blu-ray disc'.
hmmmm, I'll try again.