Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 1st June 2011, 20:27   #1  |  Link
MrVideo

DivX playback on DVD Player not working

I'm having real problems trying to find the 4.x certification specification for DVD players that are supposed to be able to play back DivX AVI wrapped files.

I'm using the SUPER program to recode to 720x480 anamorphic widescreen, 29.97 fps video. The bitrate is set to 1296 and the audio is MP3. MEncoder is being used.

Yet, no one is able to play said output on DVD players. I can play it just fine on my Blu-ray, but it is a lot newer.

One person's DVD player has no video or audio, but the time display shows that it is being played at 2x.

Any ideas as to why playback is not working?

Also: When the encoding is started, the option for DivX player compatibility is selected.

Last edited by MrVideo; 1st June 2011 at 20:42.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:56   #2  |  Link
7ekno

I found the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I'm using the SUPER
Try a converter where the author of the application knows the ins & outs of video encoding and care a little about their products :P

Something like MeGUI, StaxRip, HDConvertToX, XviD4PSP, AutoGK or Handbrake v0.93 ... all of which have some form of "Standalone Player" settings that actually work (personally tested all but Handbrake and AutoGK here) ...

7ek

Last edited by 7ekno; 2nd June 2011 at 08:58.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:10   #3  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ekno View Post
I found the problem!
I also believe that the issue is with SUPER, but have no proof one way or the other.

Quote:
Something like MeGUI, StaxRip, HDConvertToX, XviD4PSP, AutoGK or Handbrake v0.93 ... all of which have some form of "Standalone Player" settings that actually work (personally tested all but Handbrake and AutoGK here) ...
MeGUI is not an encoder program. It is a GUI shell that calls other programs to do the dirty work.

I'll look into a couple of the others.
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:25   #4  |  Link
MrVideo

I'm having a couple of users try the output I did from HDConvertToX. The XviD4PSP program appears to be dead. No update activity and no Doom9 forum activity.
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:27   #5  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Try avi.net from www.clonead.co.uk. I use it with Jawor's Xvid compilation http://jawormat.republika.pl/xvid.html (currently 1.3.2) The results are great.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:56   #6  |  Link
7ekno

Yeah, forgot avi.NET, probably one of the best when source is DVD!

As for XviD4PSP, try here (still doing nightly builds):
http://www.winnydows.com/

XviD4PSP's "Standard" AVI profile is the most hardware compatible one

As far as MeGUI goes, as long as it has a standalone AVI player profile, does it matter what I call it (since all the others effectively also just call other programs like XviD, VirtualDub, AVIMux_GUI, etc) ?!?

7ek
Old 6th June 2011, 00:16   #7  |  Link
MrVideo

I'm still awaiting results on the HDConvertToX test.

As for programs like MeGUI, it would be nice to list programs that are standalone as such and programs that are GUI wrappers that depend on other programs and what settings work the best. For MeGUI, saying that it has
DivX standalone player settings, would be better.
Old 6th June 2011, 03:46   #8  |  Link
MrVideo

Well, HDConvertToX didn't work either. The video is 720x480 anamorphic widescreen 16:9. 59.94 fps.

In this case the video at least showed up (a first), but the anamorphic widescreen was lost, i.e., it fulled the 4:3 screen instead of being letterboxed.

The audio was out-of-sync and all of it was choppy.

The DivX 4.x DVD player specs would come in real handy.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:21   #9  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

What's the make and model number of your (MPEG-2/MPEG-4) hardware player?

Not all hardware players or their A/V decoding chip-sets support anamorphic MPEG-4 decoding!

Sufficed to say, you could be spending hours trying to do something that wont ever work with your hardware player!
Old 6th June 2011, 12:09   #10  |  Link
7ekno

Yeah, square pixel is the only option for broad XviD/DivX hardware compatibility

7ek
Old 8th June 2011, 03:37   #11  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What's the make and model number of your (MPEG-2/MPEG-4) hardware player?
Not my player. Belongs to someone else. I can get the info, but based upon your next statement and the post after yours, it probably isn't worth getting.

Quote:
Not all hardware players or their A/V decoding chip-sets support anamorphic MPEG-4 decoding!
Now that is just plain stupid. It is not as if anamorphic widescreen is a new concept.

Quote:
Sufficed to say, you could be spending hours trying to do something that wont ever work with your hardware player!
OK, square pixel it is. I did create a 720x400, but haven't heard back on that one yet.
Old 8th June 2011, 03:38   #12  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ekno View Post
Yeah, square pixel is the only option for broad XviD/DivX hardware compatibility
And that is just plain stupid, as mentioned above.

Sigh!
Old 8th June 2011, 03:56   #13  |  Link
MrVideo

@SeeMoreDigital:

Did you see my PM to you regarding obtaining the DivX 4.x player certification specs?
Old 8th June 2011, 09:50   #14  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
@SeeMoreDigital:

Did you see my PM to you regarding obtaining the DivX 4.x player certification specs?
According to your PM one of your guys has an Toshiba SC-4000 which is fitted with an Zoran Vaddis 966 chipset. Which should offer .MP4 container support too

I'll dig out one of my "720(854)x480_Anamorphic_Test_Card.avi" samples for you guys to try. If the Toshiba can't display my .AVI sample correctly, it's game over!
Old 9th June 2011, 04:36   #15  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
According to your PM one of your guys has an Toshiba SC-4000 which is fitted with an Zoran Vaddis 966 chipset. Which should offer .MP4 container support too
I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
I'll dig out one of my "720(854)x480_Anamorphic_Test_Card.avi" samples for you guys to try. If the Toshiba can't display my .AVI sample correctly, it's game over!
One piece of depressing info that came from one of the users is that a 352x240 DivX/AVI video is displayed in the center of the screen. It is not rescaled to fill the screen, with letterboxing.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:05   #16  |  Link
MrVideo

I have a simple question about the resolution sizing for DivX. Is it mod4, mod8 or mod16?
Old 9th June 2011, 09:19   #17  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

As mentioned earlier. Here's a link to a couple of 720x480 anamorphic test cards for you to try: http://www.mediafire.com/?3u3bkpssb72l7ze

Cheers
Old 9th June 2011, 09:20   #18  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
I have a simple question about the resolution sizing for DivX. Is it mod4, mod8 or mod16?
It's mod-16
Old 9th June 2011, 10:58   #19  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
It's mod-16
OK. According to one of the people involved, DivX videos have been encoded with a vertical height of 404, which is not mod16. How can that be?

My main work is HD using x264, as I personally changed to x264 quite a while ago. But, for some others who can't deal with HD, their mode of playback if DivX players.

Downloading the test cards shortly.

Last edited by MrVideo; 9th June 2011 at 11:03.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:11   #20  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
As mentioned earlier. Here's a link to a couple of 720x480 anamorphic test cards for you to try
OK, one file is anamorphic and the other 4:3.

Based on the above posts, the DivX DVD player shouldn't be able to letterbox the 16:9 version. At most, all it will do is fill the 4:3 screen.