Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th February 2012, 14:12   #601  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchiro View Post
I thought there is L-smash patch which can encode audio, right?
AFAIK, the "L-smash" project implements an alternative MP4 muxer. I don't think it is specifically for audio encoding

Anyway, I cannot make use of any features/patches that have not been adopted into mainline x264 yet.

The same goes for UTF-8 support, for example. You still may be able to make use of "unofficial" features through the "custom parameters" edit box.

Quote:
Did you plan to merge LameXp into this GUI? If yes, it would be awesome
Definitely not. I'm not trying to create an "egg-laying wool-milk-sow" that nobody can maintain...

Quote:
Can you add option to change priority of x264 & avsyuv processes if possible? The default priority is below normal
What is wrong about that?

If you think that running a process at a higher priority would make it run any "faster", then you are wrong!

Priorities only make a difference when various processes are ready to execute at the same moment and thus compete for the CPU.

In that case the process with the higher priority is served first. And we generally want that to be the GUI (foreground) process.

Running x264 at "below normal" priority means: Use all the CPU time you can get, but don't thwart any of the "foreground" processes.

Thus, as long as you don't run other "CPU intensive" workload at the same time, a "below normal" priority won't slow down x264...

(Though it will noticeably improve the reactivity of the GUI front-end and other programs, e.g. web-browser and stuff)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 9th February 2012 at 15:42.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 10:41   #602  |  Link
naoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Some improvements:
* Added Drag&Drop support
I'm probably doing something wrong, but the latest version I tried (x264_x64.2012-02-09) doesn't seems to accept drag&drop file.
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 12:22   #603  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
I'm probably doing something wrong, but the latest version I tried (x264_x64.2012-02-09) doesn't seems to accept drag&drop file.
Works just fine here. Also I did not change anything about Drag&Drop support since it was added

Sure you did not launch the application with elevated rights for whatever reason?

Applications running with elevated rights won't accept any drops from a non-elevated process...

(BTW: x264_x64.2012-02-09. That's not the latest version)

[EDIT] Are you sure you dropped the files on the "Main" window? [/EDIT]

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th February 2012 at 14:44.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:56   #604  |  Link
naoan

Quote:
[EDIT] Are you sure you dropped the files on the "Main" window? [/EDIT]
Ah this was my problem, I'm too used with the old behavior of dragging the file where the open button is. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:14   #605  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Ah this was my problem, I'm too used with the old behavior of dragging the file where the open button is. Sorry for the confusion.
I can add Drag&Drop support for the "Add Job" dialog too. Though dropping multiple files won't work there.
Old 10th February 2012, 17:23   #606  |  Link
naoan

It's not working here, I probably need to update the launcher though.
Old 10th February 2012, 17:43   #607  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
It's not working here, I probably need to update the launcher though.
What exactly?
Old 10th February 2012, 17:47   #608  |  Link
naoan

The drag&drop on add job window, just tried the x264_x64.2012-02-10 version and it's still not working. I'm using windows 7 x64 sp1 if that could help anything.

Edit: And I'm running the app on the same right as explorer/my login.

Last edited by naoan; 10th February 2012 at 17:51.
Old 10th February 2012, 18:12   #609  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
The drag&drop on add job window, just tried the x264_x64.2012-02-10 version and it's still not working. I'm using windows 7 x64 sp1 if that could help anything.
I just said that "I can add Drag&Drop support for the 'Add Job' dialog too", but I did not want to indicate that this is already supposed to be working

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th February 2012 at 18:37.
Old 10th February 2012, 19:48   #610  |  Link
naoan

Ah sorry about that, bad day (and eyesight) of me , please do if you can, that would be much appreciated.

Oh and also, retaining pending job even after closing the launcher would be nice.

Edit: one more thing to consider is to give user option of defaulting "Start Job Immediately" checkbox ticked or not.

Last edited by naoan; 10th February 2012 at 21:43.
Old 10th February 2012, 22:22   #611  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Edit: one more thing to consider is to give user option of defaulting "Start Job Immediately" checkbox ticked or not.
Whether that checkbox will be checked initially (or not) is controlled dynamically:

If the number of running jobs still is below the user-defined limit, then it will be checked initially. Otherwise it won't be.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th February 2012 at 00:40.
Old 11th February 2012, 00:41   #612  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

New version:

This version supports a "portable" mode (see ReadMe for details) and accepts Drag&Drop's in the Add Job dialog.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th February 2012 at 01:02.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:26   #613  |  Link
naoan

Thanks!
Old 11th February 2012, 17:15   #614  |  Link
Chumbo

I just stumbled on this thread. A sweet little app I must say. I was hoping it would work with avisynth 32bit like suggested and encode with 64bit x264 but it doesn't work here at all. Basically the same thing happens on each of my systems when attempting any of the 32bit tools, i.e., they crash. I have 3 installations that are all Win7U64bit. Am I missing something to get the 32bit tools to work WITHOUT crashing? Those of you who have it working, was there something specific you did in your Win7 64bit install so the 32bit tools don't crash? I'm at a complete loss.

I get the typical "xxx has stopped working" message for avs2yuv.exe.

@MuldeR,
If I may request a feature please. Any chance of modifying the log area to just be a text box? It would be nice to be able to just copy specific text directly from there. A normal text field there would also still provide the standard context menu to allow to select all and copy. Right now we have to copy everything and open a text editor, paste and then grab a line or command to test. Thanks a lot for considering it.
Old 11th February 2012, 17:28   #615  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
I was hoping it would work with avisynth 32bit like suggested and encode with 64bit x264 but it doesn't work here at all. Basically the same thing happens on each of my systems when attempting any of the 32bit tools, i.e., they crash.
That's obviously some local problem.

Quote:
I have 3 installations that are all Win7U64bit. Am I missing something to get the 32bit tools to work WITHOUT crashing? Those of you who have it working, was there something specific you did in your Win7 64bit install so the 32bit tools don't crash? I'm at a complete loss.
Nope, works "out of the box". I am using 64-Bit Windows 7 on my main development machine too and have not encountered any problems so far.

I regularly use use 32-Bit DGDecodeNV (with 64-Bit x264), for example. As far as I know, it doesn't have a 64-Bit equivalent.

If I remember correctly, you have reported similar problems before. So your problem is probably not related to the Simple x264 Launcher at all...

You have a specific software, e.g. a specific Virus Scanner or Firewall, installed on all "problematic" systems? If so, get rid of it!

Also it certainly won't hurt to clean-up your Avisynth plug-in's folder. Throw out everything you don't really need. Or even load all plug-in's explicit.

I got all kinds of strange crashes with old/buggy/incompatible Avisynh plug-in DLL's in the past. Last but not least: Use Avisynth 2.5.8 stable.

Quote:
I get the typical "xxx has stopped working" message for avs2yuv.exe.
Time to load up a debugger and find out what is wrong... Does the very same AVS file open and play fine with VirtualDub or MPlayer?

What if you run "avs2yuv.exe input.avs -o output.y4m" from the console manually ???

Quote:
If I may request a feature please. Any chance of modifying the log area to just be a text box? It would be nice to be able to just copy specific text directly from there. A normal text field there would also still provide the standard context menu to allow to select all and copy. Right now we have to copy everything and open a text editor, paste and then grab a line or command to test. Thanks a lot for considering it.
Not easily possible, as I use a QListView there. AFAIK there is nothing like a QTextView.

Sure, I could use a simple QTextEdit widget, but then I had to keep the content manually in sync with the logging data

Having the View atomically synchronize itself with the log Model is so much cleaner and nicer...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th February 2012 at 22:42.
Old 12th February 2012, 02:21   #616  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
That's obviously some local problem.
I figured as much but have been unable to track it down since it happens exactly the same on 3 computers and a VM.
Quote:
Nope, works "out of the box". I am using 64-Bit Windows 7 on my main development machine too and have not encountered any problems so far.

I regularly use use 32-Bit DGDecodeNV (with 64-Bit x264), for example. As far as I know, it doesn't have a 64-Bit equivalent.

If I remember correctly, you have reported similar problems before. So your problem is probably not related to the Simple x264 Launcher at all...
Lucky you. This is why I did a clean install in a VM to see if that resolved anything and it did not. For me, "out of the box" still crashed the same dang way. And you are correct, I have reported the same problem specifically to try to fix it. I brought it up here because I wasn't sure if your app was doing something "internally" to link 32bit AVS to work with 64bit x264. I found out it does not.
Quote:
You have a specific software, e.g. a specific Virus Scanner or Firewall, installed on all "problematic" systems? If so, get rid of it!

Also it certainly won't hurt to clean-up your Avisynth plug-in's folder. Throw out everything you don't really need. Or even load all plug-in's explicit.

I got all kinds of strange crashes with old/buggy/incompatible Avisynh plug-in DLL's in the past. Last but not least: Use Avisynth 2.5.8 stable.
I'd like to get the VM install working since it's new and "clean" and only has very few things installed on it, i.e., basic stuff like AviSynth 2.5.8 stable.
Quote:
Time to load up a debugger and find out what is wrong... Does the very same AVS file open and play fine with VirtualDub or MPlayer?
Debugger time is right. Yes, I use VirtualDub and VirtualDub64 to test my AVS scripts and the script loads fine in VirtualDub. I use MPC-HC to play the AVS and it plays fine.
Quote:
What if you run "avs2yuv.exe input.avs -o output.y4m" from the console manually ???
Actually that's what I did to see why it failed. The crash dialog does not come up when it fails from the UI so I ran it manually to see the source of the failure and voila.

Thanks for looking at the edit box possibility. Do you know if the current control you're using can add a "Copy Line" item on the context menu? That would be nice. Not a big deal honestly, just more of a convenience thing to not have to open another program.

BTW, when a job fails, any chance of adding an option to reset it so it can be run again? Again, not a big deal, just a convenience thing. Thanks again.
Old 12th February 2012, 02:45   #617  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
...I got all kinds of strange crashes with old/buggy/incompatible Avisynh plug-in DLL's in the past. Last but not least: Use Avisynth 2.5.8 stable.

Time to load up a debugger and find out what is wrong...
You are indeed LoRd_MuldeR. After a year of being unable to resolve this damn issue, you said the right thing to put me on the right track. So I checked the event viewer and saw this
Code:
Faulting application name: avs2yuv.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e78e870
Faulting module name: bass_ape.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4383b3ab
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x003d2be0
Faulting process id: 0x19bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cce9257a2ce816
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\MuldeR\Simple x264 Launcher v2\toolset\avs2yuv.exe
Faulting module path: bass_ape.dll
Report Id: b9a3e916-5518-11e1-b339-ef7a097f6cd3
Pointed directly the file causing the crash. I removed all the bass* files from the AviSynth plugins folder and voila! Unbelievable. I can't believe in all this time it didn't occur to me to check the event viewer. Sheesh. Anyhow, can't thank you enough. I hope this helps anyone else who may be running into the same issue.

The reason, obviously, why it's blowing up in the VM "clean" install is that I copied the plugins folder to make sure I had the files needed not realizing that I was copying outdated ones too.

I'll need to see if there are new versions of the Bass* files or if all I need is the BassAudio.dll. Either way, I'll restore them back one at a time to see if only bass_ape is the problem or the others as well.
Old 12th February 2012, 02:52   #618  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Debugger time is right. Yes, I use VirtualDub and VirtualDub64 to test my AVS scripts and the script loads fine in VirtualDub. I use MPC-HC to play the AVS and it plays fine.
That's really strange. So VirtualDub opens (and plays !?) your script just fine, but Avs2YUV does not?

Quote:
Quote:
Actually that's what I did to see why it failed. The crash dialog does not come up when it fails from the UI so I ran it manually to see the source of the failure and voila.
And voila... what?
Old 12th February 2012, 02:57   #619  |  Link
Pat357

Nice little tool you have ! Thanks a lot for creating it.
I have however 2 problems with it :

1. When I want to specify "--fps 24" as a custom parameter for x264_x64, I says it's invalid and deletes all other custom settings too.
If you check in the x264 help "--fps .." IS a valid parameter.
Any reason why this is blocked ?
I tried to encode a 24fps MKV file (remuxed .TS file), I got an encoded MKV file, but the header in mediainfo indicated a VFR instead of 24 fps for the framerate.
The input .mkv file had 24 fps in mediainfo and the whole file plays at 24 fps.
Some splitters rely on the FPS in the header, so I want 24fps there instead of VFR, because the file is not VFR !

2. My input file is native 4:2:2, but when I created an AVS-script (gives 4:2:2 output) and input this in your tool, I noticed AVS2YUV converted it to 4:2:0.
That's not what I want. I used profile High422 and used --csp-input i422 and --csp-output i422 as custom parameters for x264, but no avail : AVS2YUV always converted to 4:2:0.
I have no place in the tool to enter parameters for AVS2YUV, and as a matter fact, I would want that avs2yuv would not touch the color-space and just pass-through as it is.
Is this possible ?

Another solution could be that avs2yuv outputs the color-space based on the profile :
for "High422" (output i422 then) and in case of profile "High444", avs2yuv should output i444.
For all other profiles just output 4:2:0.
Is this more feasible to add to your nice tool ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 03:07   #620  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
1. When I want to specify "--fps 24" as a custom parameter for x264_x64, I says it's invalid and deletes all other custom settings too.
If you check in the x264 help "--fps .." IS a valid parameter.
Any reason why this is blocked ?
It's blocked as a "custom" parameter, because the GUI will set it for you.

When the input is piped into x264 via Avs2YUV, x264 can't know the original framerate. It just sees the "raw" image data it gets via STDIN.

That's why the GUI will detect the framerate from the original AVS and pass it to x264 via "--fps" parameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
2. My input file is native 4:2:2, but when I created an AVS-script (gives 4:2:2 output) and input this in your tool, I noticed AVS2YUV converted it to 4:2:0.
That's not what I want. I used profile High422 and used --csp-input i422 and --csp-output i422 as custom parameters for x264, but no avail : AVS2YUV always converted to 4:2:0.
I have no place in the tool to enter parameters for AVS2YUV, and as a matter fact, I would want that avs2yuv would not touch the color-space and just pass-through as it is.
Is this possible ?
This would require to pass a custom "-csp" parameter to Avs2YUV, which is not currently possible. The default is "-csp I420", but you would need "-csp I422".

Also I think it will require experimental Avisynth 2.6, because Avisynth 2.5 cannot output YV16. And Avs2YUV apparently cannot pass through YUY2, only YV16.

Last but not least you would also need to pass "--csp-output I422" to x264, because by default x264 would convert the I422 input back to I420...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th February 2012 at 14:50.