Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 18th May 2009, 04:33   #1  |  Link

Will container formats check a/v runtime?

I have been adding different audio tracks to a video. I created the audio myself, and made sure it was the same length of the video. But it is probably not the exact same runtime as the video; there may be a fraction of a second difference.

I tried muxing it with my MPEG2 video with VOBEdit, and it seemed to work fine. How? Does VOBEdit know to pad or delete some samples from my audio to match the video?

Also, what if I want to put it in a different container like AVI? Would it break?

Last edited by 880; 18th May 2009 at 04:41. Reason: Another question
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:03   #2  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

In general, nothing actually cares whether your streams match or are in any way related. (Some old players have restrictions like they can't have two different audio formats or sample rates in one file, that's the player's problem, and the format's.) Tools are more than happy to mux them, and players happy to play them, up until the end of the last stream, whether or not there's included padding. You'd be surprised how badly stream lengths in the real world actually match up.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, container, mux, video