Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd April 2018, 14:49   #50021  |  Link
clsid

There have been plenty of people with stuttering issues on previous W10 versions as well.

Several tweaks that can help:
* Nvidia power settings -> Select "Adaptive"
* Right-click on video player .exe > Properties > Compatibility > Disable fullscreen optimizations
* Disable Game bar/DVR function in Windows
* Clear standby memory
* Experiment with he VSync settings in your driver
* More
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:11   #50022  |  Link
mogli

madVR FSE works just fine for me with RS4. The first time it enters FSE the info center informs me that no messages will be displayed while "playing this game" which seems to cause a tiny additional delay when switching. However movies play just fine and stutter free after that.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:31   #50023  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, I'm on the spring update, as well, and have no issues like that. But I will say that you REALLY should reinstall the graphics driver after a windows upgrade. I did have some issues before I did that.
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:00   #50024  |  Link
mparade

Hello,

Is option passthrough "HDR metadata to the display" working with 1080p sources as well? I converted my BD-s using a "8-bit bt.709 to 10-bit HDR" script but the reencoded videos rendered by madVR, according to my LG C6V, are not HDR videos and the colours are completely off, the movies are unwatchable. However, there is no problem with the UHD HDR videos reencoded, my TV automatically switches to HDR mode when they are being played.

Has anyone met such a problem so far?
Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:07   #50025  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It should work with any resolution. Show madvr OSD (ctrl+j) and upload a small sample of the file. My guess is you ran the source through the SDR->HDR script but didn't set any HDR flags in the encoded bitstream/container so madvr doesn't know the source is HDR. Or are the colors correct when you let madvr convert HDR->SDR? Then try to output at 4K resolution. Then your TV cannot know that the source is 1080p.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:20   #50026  |  Link
maxkolonko123

So after few tests with my issue, still some dropped frames occur, no matter if its without reclock or with, no matter if i play movie with mpc-hc wasapi pcm, bitstream, still same problem. What is odd to me, no matter how i play my movie, i mean sound setting, custom display mode, no matter which mode i choose, for example EDID, CVT CRT, GTF etc I always end up on same number for frame drop/ repeats expected every 4.40min, doesnt matter if custom mode says 1day or 4hours always after going into FSE and cpl minutes of playing movie i get to same number, isn't this strange? that no matter what settings i choose it's always those 4.40-30min expected drop?

On the funny side, even after those drops happening i literally cant notice it while watching movie, before every single drop for me was like small jitter or so, now mowie play smooth just those drops are on osd in madvr. Maybe i should tweak settings in scalling algorithms?
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:30   #50027  |  Link
Asmodian

Are your rendering times good? If so don't mess with scaling options.

It sounds like you are not actually using the custom modes, this has happened to others as well. Does madVR's report of the refresh rate stay the same too? The decimal points should change as you tune a custom resolution. Getting the Nvidia drivers to actually switch to the custom mode can be tricky, try driver reinstalls with the start fresh option enabled...
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:40   #50028  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
It should work with any resolution. Show madvr OSD (ctrl+j) and upload a small sample of the file. My guess is you ran the source through the SDR->HDR script but didn't set any HDR flags in the encoded bitstream/container so madvr doesn't know the source is HDR. Or are the colors correct when you let madvr convert HDR->SDR? Then try to output at 4K resolution. Then your TV cannot know that the source is 1080p.
Yes. I used SDR to HDR script and StaxRip automatically inserted all the necessary HDR infos on the x265 command line, supposedly. I am always upscaling 1080p to 2160p in madVR so my HDR TV receives 4K signal all the time.

I will come back with the required infos shortly.

Thank you very much for the help in advance!
Old 3rd April 2018, 18:56   #50029  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are your rendering times good? If so don't mess with scaling options.

It sounds like you are not actually using the custom modes, this has happened to others as well. Does madVR's report of the refresh rate stay the same too? The decimal points should change as you tune a custom resolution. Getting the Nvidia drivers to actually switch to the custom mode can be tricky, try driver reinstalls with the start fresh option enabled...
In FSE :
Average rendering 26ish mms
Max stats rendering 30ish mms

I kinda dont get what you mean by decimal points change, here is the screenshot but in windowed mode due to taking screenshot https://imgur.com/a/jmCXx so maybe explain me on what numbers should i look.

I've added some more pictures to imgur from madvr custom mode settings, maybe you will notice if it's right or no.

After changing custom mode i did always restart my pc like it said there to do.
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:18   #50030  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
I've added some more pictures to imgur from madvr custom mode settings, maybe you will notice if it's right or no.

After changing custom mode i did always restart my pc like it said there to do.
It looks like you've entered the wrong display modes, as you're not upscaling to 3840 x 2160p.

The display modes should start with: 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p50, 2160p59 and 2160p60.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:39   #50031  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It looks like you've entered the wrong display modes, as you're not upscaling to 3840 x 2160p.

The display modes should start with: 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p50, 2160p59 and 2160p60.
No no, its fine but when you do screenshot in mpc-hc it automatically switched off fullscreen mode and like you can see on picture it says windowed mode, so i think thats why you cant see any upscale going on, in fullscreen mode it's scale 0,0,1920x1380 -> 0,42,3840,2118

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 3rd April 2018 at 19:43.
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:42   #50032  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
upload a small sample of the file. My guess is you ran the source through the SDR->HDR script but didn't set any HDR flags in the encoded bitstream/container so madvr doesn't know the source is HDR.
Hello,

Sample uploaded here:

http://www.mammutmail.com/hu/downloa...6a978629f54072
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:57   #50033  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You have set matrix coefficients and color primaries to BT.709 (1 & 1) and left transfer characteristics undefined (2). Usually for HDR those are set to bt2020nc (9), bt2020 (9) and smpte2084 (16) respectively. (I haven't checked the actual content of your sample, only the flags.)
http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/defaul...mation-options
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:08   #50034  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post

Shows as a 10bit but doesnt switch my tv into HDR mode, like proper hdr movies are
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:21   #50035  |  Link
mclingo

found a bug with D3D11, on my system anyway. I have an issue with MADVR where when you play a 3D movie (1080p) and you stop it I lose HDMI handshake going from 3D 1080p back to 4k 2160p. It does this every time. The workaround is to disable MADVR refresh rate switching and use your movies players switching instead, i've had this working for ages and its been fine up until recently.

recently I switched from DXVA copy back to D3D11 decoding as I found it was about 20% faster than DXVA on my system, what I had forgotten to test was 3D though which I tested today. Whats happening now is the same as what happens in MADVR, when I stop a 3D movie I get HDMI loss which cant be gained back easily without resetting it, I use HDMION.

If I switch back to DXVA copyback the problem goes away, I think its interesting that now both MADVR refresh rate switching and now D3D11 with MPC or KODI DS refresh rate switching causes the same problem, HDMI loss coming from out of a 1080p 3D connection back to a 2160 2d desktop.

Its very possible its connected issues with FSE which is required on most systems for 3D playback.

Both issues happen with with AMD RX cards, i havent tested my NVIDA 1050 but this also had HDMI handshake issue coming out of 3D for me too.

Another workaround would be to run your PC desktop in 1080p but who wants to do that when you've got a 4k display, this also explains why most people dont see this, there are still fewer people with 4k displays than 1080p ones.

I'll post this on both MADVR and LAV forums as the issues seems to be connected now.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:23   #50036  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
You have set matrix coefficients and color primaries to BT.709 (1 & 1) and left transfer characteristics undefined (2). Usually for HDR those are set to bt2020nc (9), bt2020 (9) and smpte2084 (16) respectively. (I haven't checked the actual content of your sample, only the flags.)
http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/defaul...mation-options
Thank you very much for the help. All the flags are set by StaxRip automatically. I did not touch them not to make any mess. According to the author of the script:

Quote:
# Convert Bluray Video (BT709) to 10bit 400nits (MaxFALL) High Dynamic Range Video.
# In some scenes, HDR output of this script saves as much as 50% bitrate in x265 CRF mode and doubles the quality in x265 2pass CBR mode.
# You must have a HDR compliant TV to play the output file.
# Script is 100% compliant with current HDR standards and has been tested extensively on HDR compliant TVs.
# Do NOT modify the script. Input and output are guaranteed to look 100% identical with default script settings. All x265 HDR switches are automatically set by Staxrip.
# Current UHD Bluray and HDR TV specifications only support exactly 400nits MaxFALL. Not more, not less. Standards will not change for many years.
# Do NOT change MaxFALL. Hardware players and TVs will not correct/scale it for you. White level and brightness will be off.
# MaxFALL and MaxCLL are both equal to 400nits. You can not independently set them.
# Do not change the gamma extraction to a value other than 2.2 specified in the script. It is NOT related to the gamma correction values used by the studios when mastering Bluray video. It is NOT related to the gamma settings of your monitor/TV either.
# We are extracting 2.2 gamma only because the exact same amount will be added back by SMPTE 2084. Not more, not less.
# SMPTE 2084 is a specialized HDR perceptual quantizer that already has built in gamma encoding that is exactly equivalent to a 2.2 pure gamma function.
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:31   #50037  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Shows as a 10bit but doesnt switch my tv into HDR mode
The same as here. Neither my LG TV nor madVR treats it as a hdr movie. I have to test it more thoroughly with x265 or leave it as is, in SDR.
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:35   #50038  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Last line of the script:
Code:
--colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer smpte-st-2084
I assume that is the problem because the x265 command-line changed some time in the past. Now it must be "--transfer smpte2084" or simply "--transfer 16".
Old 3rd April 2018, 20:38   #50039  |  Link
mparade

I will test it and report back! Thank you very much!
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:06   #50040  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Is diffuse white set to 100?
Yes. I misspoke before about the image being washed out, what I meant was: if I set it the display's peak nits to 100 it looks closer to the SDR version of the film. If I set it to 200 nits, for example, the image is significantly darker.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling