Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th September 2015, 16:35   #33261  |  Link
Marnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Are you using D3D11? If yes, switch to D3D9.
Disabling d3d11 did fix the frame glitching, thanks. But could it be it also brought down the performance notably? I can't run adaptivesharp now without getting what seems to be underperformance. Gpu-z stopped reading sensors again so I have to look into it a little closer in a while...

Last edited by Marnes; 30th September 2015 at 16:49.
Marnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 16:57   #33262  |  Link
aufkrawall

I could never notice a real performance advantage of one render path over the other, what was too much with D3D9 was also the case with 11 and vice versa.
But that doesn't have to mean that there wouldn't be such cases.
Could you double-check?
What is your GPU?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 17:04   #33263  |  Link
Marnes

Ugh, I just noticed the stupid intel integrated took over from my geforce again. God I wish I could just disable that crap, but my monitor's hooked right to it. I'll work around that first.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:10   #33264  |  Link
Marnes

I had d3d11 enabled because with d3d9 I get this weird flashing black bar that moves around vertically even while the video's paused. What's up with that?

Geforce 740M btw.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:15   #33265  |  Link
aufkrawall

I don't know, never heard of it. Maybe an Optimus problem? Tried renaming your media player exe?
Old 30th September 2015, 17:16   #33266  |  Link
Marnes

Quote:
I don't know, never heard of it. Maybe an Optimus problem? Tried renaming your media player exe?
I don't even have optimus or anything. This thing is as big a ripoff as it gets and supports nothing fancy whatsoever. I don't even understand nvidia and their products, it's all just one big pile of numbers that don't line up and features that go unexplained and unmarked.
Old 30th September 2015, 17:21   #33267  |  Link
Marnes

FYI disabling windowed overlay fixed the scrolling black bar, whatever it was.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:23   #33268  |  Link
rbej

I found strange bug.

When i playing any 1080p 60fps movie in window - madVR show "image < DXVA". Playback is very smooth, without drops and skips. When i switch to full screen "image < DXVA" disappear and playback is poor with drops and skips. Why??. On EVR everything is ok.

I have NUC5PPYH (Braswell CPU), Windows 10 Home, last version MPC-HC, Lav filters and madVR.

madVR all scaling option set to DXVA2.
rbej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 19:01   #33269  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbej View Post
I found strange bug.

When i playing any 1080p 60fps movie in window - madVR show "image < DXVA". Playback is very smooth, without drops and skips. When i switch to full screen "image < DXVA" disappear and playback is poor with drops and skips. Why??. On EVR everything is ok.

I have NUC5PPYH (Braswell CPU), Windows 10 Home, last version MPC-HC, Lav filters and madVR.

madVR all scaling option set to DXVA2.
What resolution is your display? What mode are you using, i.e. dx9, overlay, dx11, new or old path?
Old 30th September 2015, 19:13   #33270  |  Link
rbej

1080p. Dx9 old path. Dx11 not work properly. Window mode.

On exclusive mode is this same. No dxva image and poor playback.
rbej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 20:00   #33271  |  Link
clsid

"image < DXVA" means image downscaled using DXVA. It does not show that in fullscreen because then no scaling is needed (if you have 1920px screen width).
Old 30th September 2015, 20:27   #33272  |  Link
YGPMOLE

automatic refresh rate change on exclusive mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Do you have the madVR display mode changer active? If so, which settings are you using? If not, then Direct3D itself decides which refresh rate to use in fullscreen exclusive mode.
The changer is not active, D3D9 is used (D3D11 not checket). With the previous version of madVR I never got problems, now with Windows 10 and the new build I got this issue.

Maybe important to say that the 23.976 fps (doubled with Avisynth in FFDShow to 47.952) remains stable and on the same memory bank even in fullscreen exclusive mode: it changes only with the 25fps (doubled to 50fps in the same way) to the 60Hz memory bank.

And now I discovered another little issue: some subtitle from .MKV tv series are displayed in the center of the screen (in the middle of the image, to be clear), when with the 89.2 build were correctly displayed at the bottom of it. It doesen't happend with the DVD or BD subtitles (it may depend from the type of subtitle used in the .MKV? But I got no problem with them before this "subtitles manager version"...).

Could this be helpful to find a solution?
Old 30th September 2015, 22:10   #33273  |  Link
XMonarchY

Damn, the stutter-after-pause is still not fixed and occurs no matter what I try. Its quite annoying having to:
- close the video file
- experience screen-flash refresh rate change from 23Hz to 60Hz (Desktop is @ 60Hz and video files are @ 23Hz)
- open the file again
- experience another screen-flash refresh rate from 60Hz to 23Hz
- find the right spot to continue watching your video file (although I learned to remember the time at which I closed the video file to get back to watching quicker).

Is this bug on the list of "To-be-fixed soon" list?

Also, will Chroma Upscaling SuperRes be updated to the same version as Upscaling Refinement SuperRes?

Last edited by XMonarchY; 1st October 2015 at 04:36.
Old 30th September 2015, 22:20   #33274  |  Link
DragonQ

Haven't got any logs but MadVR 0.89.5 is pretty unstable for me. About half of the time, MPC-HC doesn't exit properly when I close it, plus sometimes I'll open a video and the audio will play with no video. If I switch to EVR it plays fine. Hopefully I'm not the only one.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:58   #33275  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Damn, the stutter-after-pause is still not fixed and occurs no matter what I try. Its quite annoying having to:
- close the video file
- experience screen-flash refresh rate change from 23Hz to 60Hz (Desktop is @ 60Hz and video files are @ 23Hz)
- open the file again
- experience another screen-flash refresh rate from 60Hz to 23Hz
- find the right spot to continue watching your video file (although I learned to remember the time at which I closed the video file to get back to watching quicker).

Is this bug on the list of "To-be-fixed soon" list?
Players have a option to remember playback location. I think some earlier build(like 8816ish) seems to don't have this problem(if what you describing is same as what I experiencing).

The problem I think it doesn't always happen 100% after pause, for me it happen more often in windows mode and only seem to occur if I pause it long enough.
Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited by baii; 1st October 2015 at 00:01.
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 04:04   #33276  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Just to be safe: So you agree that playback should be alright as long as you play the movie from start to finish?
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Interesting. You don't have "notify media player about cropped black bars" activated, do you? If not, then I'm not sure where such a problem could come from. madVR does have to reconfigure the rendering algorithms if you use "crop black bars" when an AR change is detected, but that should not be visible, at least not if your queues are decently filled. If you get a chance to film this with a digicam, or some other way, I'd love to look into that.
Chroma upscaling is set to super-xbr and Image upscaling is set to Jinc3 AR; no profiles on either. The visual anomaly happens due to a large queue drop from the frame Cinemascope -> IMAX changes. Maybe the GPU can't adapt fast enough. The queue fills up about a second after the transition.

Would it be prudent to have a setting that alters the crop a handful of frames before having a relatively large increase in the resolution in the next scene? I increased the GPU/present queue sizes however it doesn't seem to make a difference in this case.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 11:15   #33277  |  Link
chros

Quote:
I could never notice a real performance advantage of one render path over the other, what was too much with D3D9 was also the case with 11 and vice versa.
There IS 1 exception: D3D9 old path (when you switch off the present frames in advance box) !! (I'm using it in FSE). It's about 40% faster then the rest!!! (I couldn't try overlay mode at all since it doesn't want to work for me).
Drawbacks (as madshi told us): no overlay mode and no NNEDI3 interop in this mode.
Old 1st October 2015, 14:40   #33278  |  Link
aufkrawall

Maybe according to reported render times. But that doesn't mean playback would be stable under extreme conditions while it wouldn't be with new path.
They both give very much the same GPU load reported by driver and it's never good to come in regions where you have almost no reserves left.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:45   #33279  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Maybe according to reported render times. But that doesn't mean playback would be stable under extreme conditions while it wouldn't be with new path.
They both give very much the same GPU load reported by driver and it's never good to come in regions where you have almost no reserves left.
No, it's based on the gpu load! And the gap can be more than 100% as well!!! (It also applies to intel igpu!)
I'll give you exact numbers later, until then you can try it out for yourself
Old 1st October 2015, 17:30   #33280  |  Link
aufkrawall

There's no difference for me. On the right side, there is new windowed path and on the left side, it's old FSE mode:

It's the same with old windowed path.
My test case was 1080p60 -> WQHD with Jinc3 + SuperRes 2 passes + Adaptive Sharpen.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling