Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th September 2017, 12:10   #45801  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Limited in the GPU or limited in madVR is fine, it is limited in both that is wrong. You get double range compression, madVR sends 16-235 to the GPU and the GPU compresses that again assuming it is full range. It may be an acceptable hack to get your 3D looking better but it isn't correct no matter what settings your TV has.

If you need this double compression to get an image without "ghosting" you are probably getting 3D crosstalk in shadows, a common problem with TVs with pixel response times that are a little too slow for 3D.
I'm going to have to mess with it again to figure out what is going on. I had 2d working very well with full set everywhere. I don't think the Panasonic plasma is slightly too slow for 3d. I've never had this problem with it before so something screwy is going on. I may have an idea about that and if I'm right it's a setting I changed on the TV recently. I'll take a look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 20th September 2017, 16:16   #45802  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
yes, but on 1080p I do not have D3D11 but always D3D9
because?
nobody knows the problem?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 16:37   #45803  |  Link
huhn

you can share your settings.bin. but why are there profiles in rendering in the first place?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 16:59   #45804  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you can share your settings.bin. but why are there profiles in rendering in the first place?
you want to see my setting. bin?
how do you do it?
Old 20th September 2017, 17:34   #45805  |  Link
dvd1

please see if there is any mistake
Attached Files
File Type: rar settings.rar (12.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 20th September 2017, 17:37   #45806  |  Link
SamuriHL

That attachment is going to take forever to get approved. You're better off hosting it somewhere and linking to it.
Old 20th September 2017, 18:01   #45807  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Sorry, I should have used link instead of images.

No "Tick, tick, tick", i simply followed @Asmodian guide as a reference and now i'm testing these settings. If I had thought that these settings was totally ok, I would not have written here for suggestions.

MadVR noticed me to disable SuperRes in Upscaling Refinement if i use NGU, so i disabled.

It doesn't noticed me nothing about SuperRes in Chroma Up.

What should disable? Or change?
No suggestions?

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00LD utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 20th September 2017, 18:37   #45808  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Limited in the GPU or limited in madVR is fine, it is limited in both that is wrong. You get double range compression, madVR sends 16-235 to the GPU and the GPU compresses that again assuming it is full range. It may be an acceptable hack to get your 3D looking better but it isn't correct no matter what settings your TV has.

If you need this double compression to get an image without "ghosting" you are probably getting 3D crosstalk in shadows, a common problem with TVs with pixel response times that are a little too slow for 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I'm going to have to mess with it again to figure out what is going on. I had 2d working very well with full set everywhere. I don't think the Panasonic plasma is slightly too slow for 3d. I've never had this problem with it before so something screwy is going on. I may have an idea about that and if I'm right it's a setting I changed on the TV recently. I'll take a look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Alright, I managed to get it working better with:

madvr: limited
gpu: full
tv: limited

I've read that this is an acceptable config so if someone wants to confirm or deny that for me I'd appreciate it. It seems to be working.
Old 20th September 2017, 18:40   #45809  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Alright, I managed to get it working better with:

I've read that this is an acceptable config so if someone wants to confirm or deny that for me I'd appreciate it. It seems to be working.
For me it's

Madvr - 0-255
gpu - limited
Tv - Low which is 0-255

Everything seems fine , better than the 16-235 I had in MadVr on the old LED philips TV .
On my LED TV I had

Madvr- 16-235
gpu - limited
TV - I didn't have any option to really choose, only Computer/PC Mode or Game Mode which just reduce the lag input but Computer mode couldn't do good in 3D with the gamma or the black, so it made it too dark instead keeping in properly. hard to explain, but Game was the proper for PC/Game Console or anything on the AUTO Working side, or else on Computer just changing a lot things manually and even though it wouldn't work.

If you want new drivers to test , maybe if you have also WDDM 2.3 check this which on the Insider /Fast update

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/wi....416859/page-4

Last edited by x7007; 20th September 2017 at 18:45.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 18:56   #45810  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
For me it's

Madvr - 0-255
gpu - limited
Tv - Low which is 0-255

Everything seems fine , better than the 16-235 I had in MadVr on the old LED philips TV .
On my LED TV I had

Madvr- 16-235
gpu - limited
TV - I didn't have any option to really choose, only Computer/PC Mode or Game Mode which just reduce the lag input but Computer mode couldn't do good in 3D with the gamma or the black, so it made it too dark instead keeping in properly. hard to explain, but Game was the proper for PC/Game Console or anything on the AUTO Working side, or else on Computer just changing a lot things manually and even though it wouldn't work.

If you want new drivers to test , maybe if you have also WDDM 2.3 check this which on the Insider /Fast update

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/wi....416859/page-4
I had madvr, gpu, and tv all set to FULL (0-255) and it was working great for 2D. As soon as I played 3D content I got the ghosting issue which on that screen I'd never seen before. I love that my TV gives me the option to choose. I thought Pure Direct may have messed with it, but, that's forced off for 3D content. I may have to do some more testing with the XB1 and PS4 and see if they exhibit the same issue with FULL (0-255) and the TV forced to FULL (0-255), as well. I really don't know.

As for the drivers, I just got a new insider build pushed to me yesterday so I'm guessing it's got the latest insider driver already. I don't want to mess with it as I tried to downgrade it manually and it failed. Yes, I can force the issue but I'm just not in the mood to mess with driver issues right now. That's a distinct possibility for the source of my problem, however.
Old 20th September 2017, 19:04   #45811  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
What should disable? Or change?
Everything.
Asmodian's thread explains options (thank him for this initiative), it does not mean you have to enable them all.
Another thing Asmodian should be sorry of ! xD

Soften is the opposite of sharpen so you don't want to enable both.
Some eyes prefer sharpen images, other eyes prefer soften images.

These settings can improve images in some videos, but do the opposite on others so I advise you to disable everything first.
Then, if you have a lot of time, you can try these settings ONE BY ONE. Maybe you'll like one of them. Careful though, they can be bad for some videos.
But sorry, no shortcut for you, you'll need time. The easiest path is obviously to enable nothing, it won't mean image will be bad.

Image post-processing (or calibration) is over-hyped IMO but that's because I noticed judder (the real enemy) more easily than a pixel 50;86;211 instead of 48;82;220.
And thanks for the [IMG] effort. Appreciate that.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 19:05   #45812  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:

Everything other than video playback will show crushed blacks and clipped whites but if you're only using that machine for madVR it's OK (even though less optimal than RGB Full).
Old 20th September 2017, 19:18   #45813  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Everything other than video playback will show crushed blacks and clipped whites but if you're only using that machine for madVR it's OK (even though less optimal than RGB Full).
Yea, it's primarily used for video playback. I would like to properly solve the issue and allow FULL across the board. I did just check, and the new insider driver is installed. No idea if that's the issue or not. Hence why I want to check it on the PS4 or XB1 and see if I get the same ghosting issue with that particular title. I've never really had an issue with 3D like this before. The fact that 2D works fine and 3D doesn't worries me a little cause I know the Panasonic plasma is fast enough.
Old 20th September 2017, 19:49   #45814  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Everything.
Asmodian's thread explains options (thank him for this initiative), it does not mean you have to enable them all.
Another thing Asmodian should be sorry of ! xD

Soften is the opposite of sharpen so you don't want to enable both.
Some eyes prefer sharpen images, other eyes prefer soften images.

These settings can improve images in some videos, but do the opposite on others so I advise you to disable everything first.
Then, if you have a lot of time, you can try these settings ONE BY ONE. Maybe you'll like one of them. Careful though, they can be bad for some videos.
But sorry, no shortcut for you, you'll need time. The easiest path is obviously to enable nothing, it won't mean image will be bad.

Image post-processing (or calibration) is over-hyped IMO but that's because I noticed judder (the real enemy) more easily than a pixel 50;86;211 instead of 48;82;220.
And thanks for the [IMG] effort. Appreciate that.
Everything in Upscaling Refinement? I disabled SuperRes in chroma because i'm using NGU.

And disabled 'soften edges' refinement.

Enabled are 'sharpen/crispen edges', 'enhance detail', 'LumaSharpen and A.Sharpen' and 'anti-ringing'.

Settings for chroma, i. downscaling/upscaling are good?
Old 20th September 2017, 21:09   #45815  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Anyone knows why 4K60p RGB 8bits Full would give a magenta tint when playing a video with MadVR, while 4K30p RGB 8bits Full or 4K30p RGB 12bits Full would give the correct colors? 4K60p YCC 4:2:2 12bits give the correct colors too (4:4:4 isn't possible due to bandwidth limitations).

As I set the nVidia panel to 12bits RGB in 30p, the bit depth goes blank when playing 60p (it does send 8bits automatically to fit into the 18Gb/s bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0), so I tried to force the output to 8bits at 60p (8bits showing instead of blank in the nVidia control panel) and I get the same results.

I checked and it's not a wrong colorspace selected in the projector (whether I select RGB or YCC instead of Auto the colors are wrong at 4K60p in RGB).
Anyone?

I forgot to say that of course if I select EVR-CP the issue goes away, so clearly a MadVR issue.

I've done more tests today and this issue seems to be only present with HDR content.

It only happens if HDR is set to "Let MadVR decide" or to HDR Passthrough. If I select one of the SDR conversion options, the picture is fine.

FSE/Windowed doesn't make any difference.

What's very weird is that even when MPC-BE is windowed (not full screen), the magenta tint is on the whole desktop, not only on the player's window.

Hopefully Madshi can reproduce and fix.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 20th September 2017 at 21:57.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 22:07   #45816  |  Link
Asmodian

This sounds like your display having a bad HDR mode, if madVR sends it the HDR metadata it looks wrong?

My system passes HDR to my TV correctly using an almost identical GPU.
Old 20th September 2017, 22:25   #45817  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
This sounds like your display having a bad HDR mode, if madVR sends it the HDR metadata it looks wrong?

My system passes HDR to my TV correctly using an almost identical GPU.
No, it has nothing to do with the display HDR mode, 4K60 RGB 8bits works fine from the UB900.

Also I select the HDR mode manually, so it has nothing to do with the metadata. I get the same magenta screen with HDR content if the display mode is HD/Rec709 or HDR/BT2020, it makes no difference.

It's just that in that mode, MadVR sets the whole desktop (not just the player's window) to black and magenta. It's not a subtle calibration issue, it's a completely wrong mode.

When you say it works with your TV, did you test specifically for the mode I reported, and with the HDR settings I mentioned?

HDR passthrough with MadVR works fine here, except in 4K60 RGB 8bits, and only when MadVR isn't doing a conversion to SDR.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 20th September 2017 at 22:37.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 22:34   #45818  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
please see if there is any mistake
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c3tt98...n/settings.rar
Old 21st September 2017, 01:51   #45819  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
When you say it works with your TV, did you test specifically for the mode I reported, and with the HDR settings I mentioned?

HDR passthrough with MadVR works fine here, except in 4K60 RGB 8bits, and only when MadVR isn't doing a conversion to SDR.
Yes, this works fine for me.
screenshot
Old 21st September 2017, 05:06   #45820  |  Link
Johnzilver

MadVR crashes when play HEVC whit D3D11

MadVR tends to crash when playing a HEVC video, using D3D11 (native / copy-back).
This does not happen using EVR.

Crash report: https://mega.nz/#!Ew8ymaqA!cq0nTDN6M...Fsy36k6ePHSaZM

PC specs:
Windows 10 CU X64
Intel Core i5-4210U / Intel HD 4400

MadVR 0.92.3
LavFilters 0.70.2.74
Johnzilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling