Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 31st January 2002, 18:11   #1  |  Link
qthesnake

do you have a SCSI DVD-ROM?

if you do, please reply, i need to ask you something!

thanx
Q.
qthesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 19:36   #2  |  Link
smiller667

I have one ...
smiller667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2002, 21:25   #3  |  Link
qthesnake

what brand? what speed? did you own a IDE DVD-ROM before?

thanx!
Q.
Old 5th February 2002, 01:24   #4  |  Link
smiller667

Toshiba SD-M1201, 2.3-speed (or something like that) ... I own an IDE DVD drive as well (NEC 5700, nice drive, too) ...
I still use my Toshiba for ripping and everything, it is quiet, reliable, RPC-1 by default & if I do a 4- or 5-pass SVCD, then the ripping time doesn't really matter too much ...
Old 5th February 2002, 12:24   #5  |  Link
widget

i have a scsi pioneer dvd-uo5s and it rox,it rips a full dvd to hd in less than 10 mins with no problems beats the hell out of my hitachi ide dvd rom
widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 21:34   #6  |  Link
qthesnake

thanx guys! my next DVD-ROM is defenetly a SCSI one....
Old 5th February 2002, 21:45   #7  |  Link
Zhnujm

you wouldnt get more speed or quality with a scsi drive. they are just clones of the ide drives with another interface, sometimes they are even worse. the time where scsi drives are better are long time ago... ( good old times )
Zhnujm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 22:43   #8  |  Link
widget

i dont know about that ,i'm still to find a cd rom that can perform as good as my scsi plextor 40x
Old 6th February 2002, 00:29   #9  |  Link
Taric25
Anime Otaku

That's just because Plextor makes good (DV/C)D-ROM drives.
Old 7th February 2002, 21:40   #10  |  Link
smiller667

Quote:
Originally posted by Zhnujm
good old times
About as old as my Toshiba ... seriously, unless you are running out of IDE channels, I would go for an IDE drive these days - lower cost and no significant disadvantages over the scsi drives.
@widget: Plextor has been making (rather nice, but sadly overestimated) IDE drives for a loooong time now ...

Last edited by smiller667; 7th February 2002 at 21:42.
Old 8th February 2002, 18:52   #11  |  Link
widget

well i prefere scsi but thats just my opinion i find the advantage of scsi is u can write cd's from scsi to scsi and do other things on your pc and it dont interfere like encoding video etc,if u were doing that and using ide drives at the same time u would definatly need a burner with buffer underun at least this way i can rip dvd's and still burn at the same time
Old 10th February 2002, 18:54   #12  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

I recently ripped a DVD from my IDE Pioneer 10x DVD with a good average speed of 7x while burning a CD on my IDE CD PlexWriter 16/10/40 in 12x speed (the burnproof protection had nothing to do because the RAM-buffer never went below 85%)
But, even better...these two drives are connected on the same cable...the writer as master, the DVD as slave. Who said that doesn't work?

btw. I bought the 10xDVD from a friend who bought the Pioneer 5x SCSI - but only because he wanted to put it in his external SCSI-tower.

I still have an old Ultraplex 32 SCSI that I use for Audio extraction, but otherwise SCSI is not worth the money anymore - CPU's are so fast today, I don't care if a file-read takes 1, 2 or 3 percent of the processing power...
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2002, 20:00   #13  |  Link
qthesnake

@theReal:

i was more conserd with the speed.... are SCSI DVD-ROM with the same "formal" speed as IDE ones realy faster in actual MB/S?
Old 10th February 2002, 20:22   #14  |  Link
theReal

I can only take the Pioneer example from some time ago (I'm not up-to-date what DVD drives are available right now)
My friend wanted a SCSI DVD, so he had to buy the 5x from Pioneer because there was no other good SCSI DVD around. The new 10x IDE that he had just bought (which he sold me then) was definitely faster AND cheaper

btw. Smartripper recently displayed 9.5x speed on my 10x IDE drive with a good DVD, I don't think it could make that much more with SCSI (usually read speeds are slower due to crappy/dirty/scratched DVD's, and here SCSI or IDE definitely makes no difference!)
Old 10th February 2002, 21:57   #15  |  Link
Emp3r0r

TheReal: you might be able to rip a dvd and burn a cd at the same time but what about rip a dvd, burn a cd, encode a divx, and play a dvd to tv? I can do that with my pentium 2 350mhz, thanks to scsi and dvd card! You probably couldn't do it with strictly a IDE system unless you have a very fast CPU. The main advantage of SCSI is CPU usage!
Old 10th February 2002, 23:06   #16  |  Link
theReal

I forgot, Seti@home was running as well (like always, that's why I forgot...)

I agree that watching a DVD at the same time would probably result in some bus-interferences on my IDE system.

I also agree that SCSI is still the better and more professional system than IDE.
But still it's not so much ahead anymore like it was a few years ago: I recently compared two old systems, a Pentium 75 with an IDE HD of same age, and a 486DX 33 with a SCSI HD, also of same age - the 486 was still more usable than the Pentium system. Back then, it really made a big, big difference. Today the difference is much smaller (just take IDE HD transfer rates...) but the SCSI stuff is still unbelievably expensive. So for me, I don't see why I should buy a SCSI drive. It wouldn't make a difference for me (as I'm usually not even ripping and burning at the same time, that was just a test)

I had given up buying SCSI HD's a long time ago because of price reasons, I wanted to keep all my CDRoms SCSI, then I got the IDE DVD by chance for a very good price and couldn't detect any negative side effects for me. Still I wanted to have a new SCSI CD Writer, but there weren't many available, so I waited and waited but finally just bought the Plexwriter IDE because it was so cheap and I couldn't find a reason why I should pay twice as much for a SCSI writer.

You see, I'm not a SCSI hater
If I had to build a professional server or something like that, of course I would use SCSI devices - but for myself I rather have bigger HD's for less money than some advantages of SCSI HD's that I don't really need on my pc.

btw my old Teac CDR55S 4x Writer (SCSI) is now in my dad's computer, connected to an Adaptec 1510 ISA controller *LOL*, therefore it takes 55% from an Athlon 1000 when writing at 4x speed, but it still works perfectly...
Old 18th February 2002, 00:37   #17  |  Link
Emp3r0r

@The Real: it is so weird how you sound so much like me... I took my fathers Teac Scsi 4x (to double my old Smart and Friendly 2x CDR) and upgraded him to faster processer and cheaper IDE. I'm poor and can't affort an overhaul to 1GHZ+ these days. Although I hardly wait patiently. This old scsi pentium 2 with 111mhz bus speed is the only thing that is keeping me from upgrading. That and the fact it seems just as fast with normal tasks as the pentium 3 900mhz at work. Anyway, I'd like to have an all scsi system or if serial firewire? is not CPU intensive, then that. I'll keep waiting, because I can and I have too. BTW: my SCSI Teac uses no more than 4% when burning.
Old 18th February 2002, 21:30   #18  |  Link
theReal

Your SCSI writer would take more than 4% if it was connected to an ISA (the older of us still know what that is...) controller! The controller takes up all the power because it's ISA crap that wasn't worth a cent by the time I got it 4 years ago (came free with a SCSI ZIP drive)

Feurio! gave me a warning that I should change the controller, because burning, even 1x, was almost impossible with an ISA controller.
Only thanks to the Athlon 1000 and 384MB RAM in Win2k there's no problem with it.
Well, I wouldn't want that combo, but my dad is burning one CD a year or so...