Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 10th November 2003, 10:42   #1  |  Link
Joni

Codec problems...

Hi!
I have some questions, that I hope someone would like to answer:

Q1:
I´m using VirtualDub and the standalone codec "Microsoft Windows Media Video 9" (wmv9vcm.dll) for compression, and I wonder if this codec is the same one that the software program "Microsoft Windows Encoder series 9" uses? I have always thought that, but if I compare two files compressed with either one it looks like the differ quit a bit.

Q2:
The standalone codec "Microsoft Windows Media Video 9" (wmv9vcm.dll) seems to have a upper limit for compression. I can compress to bitrates in the interval between 0- 490 Kbps, but not over that! Why is that so?

Q3:
I have a similiar problem with "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2" (Mpg4c32.dll), with this codec the upper limit seems to be 255Kbps. Why is that so?

Q4:
Is there any free Quicktime encoder available for windows?
I have seen on www.apple.com that there is a software called "Quicktime Broadcaster" that seems to be an encoder, but does this work on PC (Windows XP)?

I would be really grateful if someone could try to answer these questions.
/Joni
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote