Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2003, 14:57   #1  |  Link
GoodOld

Rate control mode with DVD2SVCD and TMPG

Hello everyone. I apologise if this has already been posted somewhere already. I did do a search and check the FAQs but didn't find what I was looking for. I currently use DVD2SVD 1.1.3 build 2 and TMPGEnc 2.5 to back up my DVDs. I am quite new to this and so I left the settings as they were on the "Encoder" tab of DVD2SVCD. They are currently set to:

Rate control mode: Constant bitrate(CBR)
Field order: Automatic
Motion search precision: Normal
VBV Buffer Size: 0

I have got an AMD 2400XP with 512MB RAM .

After reading various posts, it would seem that using VBR rather than CBR would give me better results ( I have ruled out CQ because of the unpredictable file size issue ). My question is that on DVD2SVCD, the VBR setting is called “2pass variable bitrate(VBR)” which I assume from the name that it would do 2 passes. However, there is also a field for “Number of passes” ( which is set to 4 at the moment ). So how many passes will it do? Will it do just 2 passes ( as the name suggests ) or will it do 4. Or will it do 2 passes and then another 4 ( making 6 in total ). Sorry if I’m being a bit thick – but it confused me to have the setting named as “2pass” and then have another field for number of passes.

One last thing – I noticed that in the FAQs that for CCE, no more than 5 passes is suggested ( as “Higher values won't really improve quality anymore” ) and 4 passes is suggested. Would the same apply to TMPG, or should I be using higher settings?

Thanks for your help

Goodold.
GoodOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2003, 15:51   #2  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Does this help?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59080
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2003, 15:53   #3  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Re: Rate control mode with DVD2SVCD and TMPG

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodOld
[B]Hello everyone. I apologise if this has already been posted somewhere already.
Hi, GoodOld, and welcome to the forum. This matter has indeed been throughly discussed, but since this is your first post, it is not too serious offense
Quote:
After reading various posts, it would seem that using VBR rather than CBR would give me better results ( I have ruled out CQ because of the unpredictable file size issue ). My question is that on DVD2SVCD, the VBR setting is called “2pass variable bitrate(VBR)” which I assume from the name that it would do 2 passes. However, there is also a field for “Number of passes” ( which is set to 4 at the moment ).
TMPGEnc just ignores this DVD2SVCD setting. It does 2 passes only, which BTW is good enough if you have the BR needed for the movie.

I recommend you to read the Doom9's DVD2SVCD guide throughly, as well as the DVD2SVCD FAQ. At first you'll have to refer to them very often, but it's not bad. This takes time, but the eager of knowledge you're showing you're very likely to succeed.

Anyway, it will take a while to get used to the search button, but believe me, it works!
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2003, 18:42   #4  |  Link
GoodOld

Thanks for your help
GoodOld is offline   Reply With Quote