Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 21st December 2001, 11:39   #1  |  Link
waldok
French fries forever

What do you think about this potential feature ?

Hi,

I wanted to mention this in te "what would you like in the newt version" thread, but some classical compositor just closed it

Anyway, forgive me if this has already been suggested or asked, bu there it goes :

I really would like to be able to select cut point in the bbmpeg step by time and not by disk size.

In fact, when you are used to using the same settings over and over for converting a DVD to SVCD, you approximately can tell how much time fits on the final CD-Rs. My idea is to allow selecting the duration for each CD-R to make the cutting point match a DVD chapter as well as possible and to avoid cutting in the middle of a sentence.

For example, with the parameters I usually use (1 pass VBR, quality 2, etc..), let's say I can get a maximum 45 minutes on each CD-R.
If I notice that an original chapter starts at 44:30 on gthe source DVD, I'd like to be able to tell DVD2SVCD to cut exactly at 44:30.
See the point ?
I know sometimes it may not work, and the second mpeg file might be too long to fit one CD-R, but then you can cut the end credits later on (by the way this might also be an option).

Anyway, for the moment, I usually have to open the final mpeg files, find a decent cutting point (usually previous chapter), and remux the complete "mpv"+'mp2' files accordingly. This makes the initial muxing useless and time consuming.

What do you guys think about it ? ANother option might be to choose whether the user wants to mux or not.
I hope I'll get some answers this time cause I didn't get any for my recent posts...

Waldok
waldok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 12:31   #2  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

Hi waldok,

my reason to lock that thread/pool was because it should be just a pool, and the winner - DVD chapter - is already available.

I hate to whach a movie with a sequence cut in the middle also. Because of this, I use "internal routines + chapter selection" to rip each 1/2 (or 1/3) of the movie in different folders, encoding each part by time.
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2001, 14:36   #3  |  Link
waldok
French fries forever

Sorry Mozart,

but I don't really understand what you mean by "each 1/2 or 1/3 of the movie in a separate folder". Can you explain a bit more how you proceed ?

Thanx

Waldok.
Old 21st December 2001, 16:20   #4  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

Use "activate dvd ripping" and "use internal routines" in DVD rip tab. Load the ifo file. After this, you can see the time length of the movie. Click in movie length pulldown. There you can see the time lenght of the selected chapters to rip. Select the first N chapters so that the sum of time length of these N chapters are almost 1/2 of the time length of the movie. Start the process.

Repeat the same process for the 2nd 1/2 of the movie, choosing another folder as output.

Last edited by Mozart; 21st December 2001 at 17:38.
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2001, 16:18   #5  |  Link
waldok
French fries forever

thanks for explanation.
THat should help !

Bye

Waldok