Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st December 2008, 23:40   #741  |  Link
toology

I'll answer my own questions for the sake of other people with similar problems.

In order to change subtitle codepage for non english letter one has to edit the settings.xml file in the FAVC/SubtitleCreator/Data folder. The correct setting for Serbian and similar languages is to change CodePage from 0 to 1250.
toology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:16   #742  |  Link
18fps

Hello Mr Odwin, thank you for a great program!

I had a few questions / askings(?) about it:
1) Could it be made to accept files or paths with accented characters?
2) Does it handle / recognizes audio delays within avi files? With an old version I had an audio delay problem on the resulting DVD, and after controlling the avi file on AVI-MUX-GUI I found there was this delay, that I had to apply manually.
3) There is some way to add more than one str subtitle to the same movie?

Thank you for your patience...
18fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 05:17   #743  |  Link
Deusxmachina

I don't care about retaining DTS audio or converting it to 6-channel AC3, (actually, I do), but does anyone else have problems converting DTS audio? My video comes out fine, but the audio sounds like it's in slow-motion. If I'm missing a codec or something, I don't know which one.
Deusxmachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 07:51   #744  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18fps View Post
Hello Mr Odwin, thank you for a great program!

I had a few questions / askings(?) about it:
1) Could it be made to accept files or paths with accented characters?
2) Does it handle / recognizes audio delays within avi files? With an old version I had an audio delay problem on the resulting DVD, and after controlling the avi file on AVI-MUX-GUI I found there was this delay, that I had to apply manually.
3) There is some way to add more than one str subtitle to the same movie?

Thank you for your patience...
With AVI-Mux GUI you simply 'Start' (save) a new avi. The delay will now be gone. No need to make manual adjustments.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 17:08   #745  |  Link
Deusxmachina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusxmachina View Post
I don't care about retaining DTS audio or converting it to 6-channel AC3, (actually, I do), but does anyone else have problems converting DTS audio? My video comes out fine, but the audio sounds like it's in slow-motion. If I'm missing a codec or something, I don't know which one.
My bad on the above. I was thinking of a different scenario that does that, making slow-motion audio. What FAVC does with my DTS files is the audio is fine, but the video looks like it's 15fps.
Deusxmachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 21:13   #746  |  Link
davsim

Thank you for this very useful tool.

I wanted to keep using FAVC 1.07, but retain the original ac3 audio, so I use the following method:

1. In the Advanced Scripting tab, check "Don't start batch file".

2. In Working Folder 0, edit Title.bat to delete the entire "Encoding Audio 0" section (wavi.exe/aften.exe command).

3. Copy the "Title0 T80 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" audio file and rename it Title0.ac3.

4. Run Title.bat.

In all my testing so far, it seems to work correctly with no sync issues.

Before I arrived at that simple solution, I tried choosing the "Encode as usual" option with Aften once with a 5.1 track and the resulting audio moved the center channel to the right speaker and there was no sound from the center channel. I'm not sure if that channel shift was due to an Aften bug or an error in the FAVC encoding flags/settings sent to Aften.

---

As well as SD sources, I also tried converting a 720P MPEG2 HDTV recording to DVD. From the resulting output, FAVC seemed to do the downconversion and framerate conversion automatically and correctly, but I'm wondering if the FAVC built-in settings will always work for downcoverting all standard HD sources or do I need some additional Avisynth scripting?

In this case, in the Advanced Scripting area, I added ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601"). Is that necessary or redundant? Does FAVC already do that?

I also used LimitedSharpenFaster resizing as a "User Defined Resize" to get the closest match for the grain in the source, since the default resized output from HC Enc was a little too smooth and muddy with this particular source.

Are there any additional lines I would need for downconverting 720P or 1080i that are not automatically determined by FAVC?

Thanks for your advice.
davsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:43   #747  |  Link
MR Nice

Mr odwin, are you still updating Favc? or is it on the back burner for now?
MR Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 19:01   #748  |  Link
sadsack

I tried converting a sample of PAL to NTSC - worked great. However, I'm bedeviled trying to independently change the SUP subtitles to SRT for FAVC to accept. Any chance of getting the subtitle option to accept .SUP ?
sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 03:29   #749  |  Link
DoctorM

SUP is a useless format with few conversion options available.
Rip with Vobsub. IDX/SUB is common, convenient, and it is easier to convert.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:56   #750  |  Link
sadsack

I was only asking if FAVC will ever accept .SUP subtitles, rather than only .SRT files. FAVC uses Subtitle Creator and Muxman which both use .SUP files, so I wonder why FAVC won't. Or perhaps FAVC could be made to accept .SUB files? Those are easy for we layman to convert to from .SUP format (rather than to SRT which requires manual checking).

The other option is to demux the FAVC generated VOB, and remux with the subtitles. I tried that with Muxman but at least the first couple subtitles are missing (possibly more, I didn't cross check the entire VOB). Any reason why this is happening?

Last edited by sadsack; 16th January 2009 at 16:33.
sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 20:54   #751  |  Link
Hodag

Sound problem

I have started to get a strange error when converting files to DVD format with FAVC. I have been using the HC encoder for video and the AC3 format for audio.

Several times now I have gotten DVDs that work great until I am a few minutes from the end of the file, then the sound goes out (video is fine). There is sound on the AVI that I convert and if I rerun the conversion with ConvertX then I get a working DVD with sound for the entire time. However, I much prefer FAVC.

Can somebody suggest a reason why this is happening?

If Mr. Odwin is reading this, thanks for a great program. Once suggestion though, and that would be to make the text color on the menus variable. I know you can pick it because I see the color code in the batch files, but it would be nice to have at least a few colors to choose from because sometimes the default does not look good if you have a custom screen background image.

Last edited by Hodag; 16th January 2009 at 03:35.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 22:39   #752  |  Link
gonwk

FAVC not working on Vista 64-bit

Hi folks,

I have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit on it.

I have tried "FAVC 1.07" both the 32-bit and 64-bit version and it keeps crashing.

1) Crashes when I try to use it.

2) Crashes when I try to close the FAVC.

Problem #1: gives me the following error message

"Windows Command Processor has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

BTW, the Windows never offers a solution or anything!!!

FAVC crashes on Muxing up I think ... since in my Working folder I do see the Video conversion portion.

Problem #2: gives me the following error message

"FAVC has stopped working. Windows is collecting more information about the problem. This might take several minutes ..."

FYI, I used to use FAVC earlier versions on my XP SP2 with no gltiches what-so-ever ... so I know for a fact it is VISTA issue or 64-bit issue ... since my buddy claims it works for him kind of in 32-bit Vista.

Q1: What causes these problems?

Q2: How can I FIX these problem?

BTW, same friend that I mentioned above ... suggested to me to change my "Bitrate" from 8000 (FAVC default) to 4000 and use QuEnc instead of Aften (FAVC default) for Audio Conversion. This combo at least gave me an output even though it does still give a warning splash screen which I bypass and ignore. At least this way the converted Video and Audio gets Muxed up.

Thanks,

G!
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 04:08   #753  |  Link
gonwk

Hi folks,

I don't know what in the world I just did to my laptop that FAVC 1.07 64-bit works in my Vista Home Premium 64-bit perfectly. The only thing that I did today was download the called for Windows update ... but looking over the list I did not see anything that would un-jink the FAVC program ... so, I am puzzled ... but what the heck I ain't looking the gift-horse in the mouth ...

Now I also upgraded my Comodo Firewall and my Antivirus stuff. I am not sure if that helped.

I ran the "FAVC 1.07 (x64)" as is not even with Admin Rights or in XP Compatibility mode ... and I even used 8000 Bitrate and Aften as my Sound Encoder and it worked "PERFECTLY".

I wanted to share this info with folks that might have had similar problem as mine ... FAVC not working for no apparent reason!

Thanks,

G!

Last edited by gonwk; 1st March 2009 at 04:16.
gonwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 05:43   #754  |  Link
xaero

FAVC still re-encodes my 6channel ac3 to 2channel ac3 despite me choosing the option of keeping the original 6channel ac3.

how do i fix this?
xaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 06:24   #755  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
FAVC still re-encodes my 6channel ac3 to 2channel ac3 despite me choosing the option of keeping the original 6channel ac3.

how do i fix this?
Use version 1.06.
It's a known bug in 1.07.

Speaking of which. I had an interesting thing happen.
Using HC to encode on one-pass with prediction, MuxMan failed to author because of excessive bitrate. (Bitrate was set to 8600kbps max and the audio was 384kbps).

Because I had FAVC set to delete files as it goes, I ended up with neither a DVD nor the raw video and audio files.

On the second go, I let it keep the files... and they authored fine in DVD Lab, just not MuxMan.

Last edited by DoctorM; 11th March 2009 at 19:31.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 12:39   #756  |  Link
MR Nice

All I can say is anyone bites the dust, I think Mr odwin has put this one to bed. Great program never had any problem's with version 1.06. I did try 1.07 to many issues with that so I stuck with 1.06.
MR Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 01:19   #757  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Nice View Post
All I can say is anyone bites the dust, I think Mr odwin has put this one to bed. Great program never had any problem's with version 1.06. I did try 1.07 to many issues with that so I stuck with 1.06.
I hope not. The 64 bit version of this app kicks ass on my quad core. Hope Mr O sticks with it.
Old 28th March 2009, 03:09   #758  |  Link
Brent.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent.M View Post
I lowered the bit-rate to 7000 and then tried 6000 but it still missed files out. But I don't understand how doing that would do anything?

I have to merge the vob files together with VobMerge and use TDA3 to create a DVD :'(

The video is 720p.hdtv.x264 matroska file is that has anything to do with anything. Does FAVC not Handle high quality video very well?
OK with 1.06 twice it has successfully generated 2 DVDs. I selected 'keep working files'.

I had the bit rate at 9800 too.
Brent.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 23:32   #759  |  Link
MilesAhead

It's difficult to judge by a few results. My experience is any version of FAVC is less prone to crap out if you encode a single file. If I can I append files to a single file. Also it seems like a crap shoot. You can set the bitrate up and "get away with it" for a few runs, but then it's back to crash city. The only stable config I've found is set the max bitrate to 4000. For most stuff that seems to work well. otoh I don't have 50" + plasma tv either. So it doesn't have to be perfect.
Old 1st April 2009, 23:47   #760  |  Link
Brent.M

Yes, It is a case of randomness work/notwork.

The last successful DVD I did had 1 .mkv and 1 .avi file

Tried doing another DVD yesterday with 2 .avis and it only had the following in VIDEO_TS folder:

VIDEO_TS
VTS_01_1
VTS_01_2
VTS_01_3

I require best possible quality.
As a video/audio noob FAVC is perfect for me. It's a shame I'll have to search for something else/method to use. Can't keep crossing my finger time I hit 'Generate DVD'.
Brent.M is offline   Reply With Quote