Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 30th March 2005, 13:55   #1  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

The truth about the matrix! Mother matrix?

http://www.playahata.com/pages/inter...stewartpt1.htm

amazing, seem like the Wachowski brothers may have some explaining to do?

Regards
cyph

cypher_soundz

Windows XP| 2GB ECC DDR 2100 ram| 160gb WD 7200rpm 40gb seagate 7200rpm |40gb seagate 7200rpm | Dual 2400MP X1 ;) [L5 mod]| MSI K7D| ATI radeon 9800 PRO 128MB tv-out/dv-out | Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350| Samsung dvd (firmware:612-B) | NEC 1300 dvd+r

cypher_soundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 14:51   #2  |  Link
Cyberman

Hmm.
I donīt like the way she talks. Maybe itīs her work, but maybe it isnīt. Right now, I suppose itīs the latter. Perhaps Iīm wrong.
Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 15:13   #3  |  Link
Nic

Hmmm, So she wrote a manuscript called "Third Eye" which is 9 chapters long, but is both the Terminator and the Matrix? And hence she should get royalties from both. And, also the phrase "I'll be back" is from the same script and she created that too....but we can't actually see this manuscript publically to confirm what she states.

<wayne>Schyeah, Right.</wayne>
(Maybe that's harsh, but I just can't see it...Neither film was that original, so alot of people could call prior art. I even remember an old Doctor Who episode, where he plugged himself into a machine and it was like he was in real life, the machine was called "The Matrix".)

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 15:19   #4  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Oh boy, this is juicy..........

Quote:
Judge Margaret Morrow of Central District of California made the decision to have the courts proceed with the biggest copyright infringement and racketeering case in movie history.

Is there a way to get hold of the book anywhere I wonder? It's copyrighted 1981, so if it effectively exists, then I can't see why she would lie; it's going to be easy to check ... In any case, it's going to be a very nice scandal And she will make a best-seller out of that book at any rate.
Old 30th March 2005, 15:37   #5  |  Link
Nic

"I can't see why she would lie" ?
I can think of a few million reasons and they are all green

Harlan Ellison already sucessfully sued over Terminator (saying his works "Demon With a Glass Hand" and "Soldier" were used to create The Terminator). His name now appears in the credits and his works pre-date Sophia Stewart's work. So could he now sue her?

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 16:00   #6  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Quote:
"I can't see why she would lie" ?
I can think of a few million reasons and they are all green
Well yes , but in this case, surely she will lose the trial... The book either is like the matrix, or isn't (or rather vice-versa). The fact that she sues over Terminator as well is what looks weird indeed. No point speculating I guess before all this is over (few years? lol)
Old 30th March 2005, 16:39   #7  |  Link
KpeX

Yes this woman definitely 'invented' the concepts of A.I. robots turning against us and 'the one savior' that will save humanity. No one ever thought of that before 1981. And anyone that uses those concepts since stole her work. [/sarcasm] As Nic said neither the matrix or terminator used original literary concepts. What made those movies succesful was the way they told the story, not the story they told.
KpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 16:40   #8  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
Is there a way to get hold of the book anywhere I wonder? It's copyrighted 1981, so if it effectively exists, then I can't see why she would lie; it's going to be easy to check
well from what i gather it is not a book at all but rather a manuscript, meaning not published. to quote
Quote:
she said she knew it was based on her original manuscript entitled the "The Third Eye,"
Quote:
The book either is like the matrix, or isn't (or rather vice-versa). The fact that she sues over Terminator as well is what looks weird indeed.
yes when she says
Quote:
Terminator starts from the front of my book to the back. Matrix starts from the back of my book and works its way to the front. They are moving in two opposite directions.
now i would love to know how she worked that one out.

as for
Quote:
"The Third Eye" is an epic, my book spans three time frames the past, the present and the future. Those films do the same thing.
wow there has never been another book or movie to do that before right.

[OT]
Quote:
his works "Demon With a Glass Hand"
a brilliant read. i highly reccomend it.
Old 30th March 2005, 17:27   #9  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Yes, she seems a bit cracked in the head all right

I'll try that Demon with a glass hand(If I can find it), I'm in need of a good book to read this week
Old 30th March 2005, 17:55   #10  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
I'll try that Demon with a glass hand(If I can find it), I'm in need of a good book to read this week
i dont know if he ever released it in normal book form. i know it was done as an episode of the 60's outer limits tv show, as was soldier. it was also done as a graphic novel in the 80's which is what i was refering to. it is meant to be based on his original script and have scenes that were never filmed for the tv show.

also Dimension films optioned Demon as a full movie a few years ago but i havent seen anything more actually happening yet(if ever ?).

sorry for the off topic, back on track now.
Old 30th March 2005, 18:00   #11  |  Link
cypher_soundz
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic
I even remember an old Doctor Who episode, where he plugged himself into a machine and it was like he was in real life, the machine was called "The Matrix"
wow lol that does give me new views,

Quote:
Harlan Ellison already sucessfully sued over Terminator (saying his works "Demon With a Glass Hand" and "Soldier" were used to create The Terminator). His name now appears in the credits and his works pre-date Sophia Stewart's work. So could he now sue her?
although the work stil lpre-dates Sophia...

Quote:
Sophia Stewart: I have not seen The Terminator film so I never knew. They can’t punish me for not having seen The Terminator. Actually my friend James Perry read the "Third Eye" and said "wow, this is The Terminator movie" but initially I never paid much attention to him. To this day the studio only tried to dismiss my case by saying the statue of limitation had expired but copyright laws go by “discovery date”, so they start from when the plaintiff discovers the problem.
It also says that she gave the script to them after she wrote it , but got no feedback etc.

I my self wouldn't mind reading this script, theres "fake" verison doing the rounds on the net, but if any one finds the script please post / "quote" depending on the rights

[EDIT]
Quote:
And just as in the movies themselves The Mother of The Matrix is a BLACK WOMAN!
lol that does remind me of that episode of friends about the "dr monkey" joke:
Quote:
Originally said by Friends character Ross in TOW The Joke Ross: Are you kidding? Okay, look. I-I studied evolution. Remember, evolution? Monkey into man? Plus, I’m a doctor, and I had a monkey. I’m Doctor Monkey!

Regards
cyph

cypher_soundz

Windows XP| 2GB ECC DDR 2100 ram| 160gb WD 7200rpm 40gb seagate 7200rpm |40gb seagate 7200rpm | Dual 2400MP X1 ;) [L5 mod]| MSI K7D| ATI radeon 9800 PRO 128MB tv-out/dv-out | Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350| Samsung dvd (firmware:612-B) | NEC 1300 dvd+r

Last edited by cypher_soundz; 30th March 2005 at 18:12.
cypher_soundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 18:59   #12  |  Link
Cyberman

Quote:
Originally posted by dragongodz
yes when she says

Quote:
Terminator starts from the front of my book to the back. Matrix starts from the back of my book and works its way to the front. They are moving in two opposite directions.
now i would love to know how she worked that one out.
Actually that part made most sense, IMO. The two stories, Terminator and Matrix, could indeed be one large story - Matris is obviously the future, where mankind has failed, while Terminator is past/present where mankind still fights.

Itīd be a hard to write a book that contains both at the same time, but the concept itself isnīt new either - many books feature two seemingly unconnected characters who eventually meet when the story is resolved.
Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2005, 03:03   #13  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
I even remember an old Doctor Who episode, where he plugged himself into a machine and it was like he was in real life, the machine was called "The Matrix"
the deadly assasin ,first aired 1976. the Matrix is a repository of knowledge formed from the minds of dead Time Lords. when entered it is like reality.
a quote from that episode
Quote:
the Doctor: "I deny this reality. The reality is a computation matrix."
the matrix was also mentioned in other epsisodes with later doctors aswell.

sorry for again going slightly off topic.
Old 31st March 2005, 03:48   #14  |  Link
Joe Fenton

An unpublished manuscript she CLAIMS to have sent them, which was only read by a third party AFTER the movies came out... I'm more than a little suspicious. It wouldn't be the first time someone tried to scam a major studio over a copyright issue. Just look at the case of Nancy Stouffer against WB and Rowling over Harry Potter. It was demonstrated that she actually tried altering her material in an effort to make it look more like infringement. She not only lost the case, but was fined for trying to perpetrate a fraud on the court.

I won't say this is the same, but when there's hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, people will go a long way to try to get a cut.
Joe Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2005, 05:17   #15  |  Link
Doobie

There's not a blockbuster movie made that doesn't have someone claiming their story was stolen. If there's not more coverage, it's because there's not more credibility to the charges.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 09:11   #16  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

Kill Bill v1 = Lady Snowblood (1970's Japanese film with a very cute insane samurai)

[edit]

who's got some other ripoff movies? i'm not talking the obvious ones like "the ring" "the grudge" etc...
Old 4th April 2005, 11:49   #17  |  Link
dragongodz

you cant really call Kill Bill a rippoff of Lady Snowblood though because Tarantino freely admits it was one of the inspirations for Kill Bill. he even uses the Lady Snowblood theme.
http://lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=952&IssueNum=51

speaking of Lady Snowblood, i just saw the preview for it last week on the Once Upon a Time in China dvd. wow look at the sauce fly.

EDIT:
ok thought of one that may qualify Mug Funky.
Once Upon a Time in China and America(the 6th movie in the series) was based on an idea originally proposed to the studio by Jacki Chan. he later went on to make the idea himself aswell, shanghai noon.

Last edited by dragongodz; 4th April 2005 at 11:54.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 14:58   #18  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

Freely admitting it doesn't mean he should get away with it . Lady Snowblood (I) is everything Kill Bill isn't(great fun, extremely original, quirky B movie) and yet, who made the money?
I'm glad they're finally out on DVD [/end of rant]

Are we talking ripoffs proper though (with assorted trial), or so-called " adaptations" where the rights have been paid to the original person? In that case, the list is endless (magnificent seven and so on)
Old 4th April 2005, 15:21   #19  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
Freely admitting it doesn't mean he should get away with it
it does mean he is not trying to hide it though. even using the theme ,which i assume he would have had to pay for, may be considered a nod to Lady Snowbloods influence.

Quote:
Are we talking ripoffs proper though (with assorted trial), or so-called " adaptations" where the rights have been paid to the original person?
well if the rights have been paid for then its not really a rippoff. however a trial doesnt have to make a rippoff either.

i thought of a classic example.
The Lion King by Dysney. ripoff of Jungle Taite(Jungle Emperor), called Kimba the White Lion in the west. even the actors such as Mathew Broderick thought they were doing a movie version of Kimba. somehow the execs at Dysney somehow never ever heard of Kimba though and flatly deny any sort of similarity. ripoff bigtime.
Old 4th April 2005, 17:09   #20  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mug Funky

Kill Bill v1 = Lady Snowblood (1970's Japanese film with a very cute insane samurai)
Just got one of this flashbacks... ^^

- Master of the flying Guillotine
- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
- The one armed Swordsman
- The one armed Boxer
- Blind Fist Of Bruce
- Hammer of Gods
- Lady Snowblood
- Drunken Master
- Lone Wolf
- Zatoichi
- [...]

Bye

Visit my IRC channel

Last edited by Soulhunter; 4th April 2005 at 17:17.
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote