Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 14th August 2006, 15:32   #41  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

AFAIK Helix assumes progressive content.
Old 14th August 2006, 15:51   #42  |  Link
smokeslikeapoet
Born to Rip

manolito: I think I can answer your question about interlaced content. Helix works on ATSC DVB-T 1080i content nicely. The Xvid and Divx YV12 decoding turns people pink. The Helix decoder looks natural, I'm pretty sure this is a colorspace issue from my previous experience. Helix fixes this for me.

When wrestling alligators the gator only has to win once.
Read my Adventures In HDTV Capture Blog.
smokeslikeapoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:48   #43  |  Link
Biggiesized

Thanks a million for this codec, karl_lillevold!

Xvid and FFVFW wouldn't register their .dll files correctly in the registry for YV12 playback on my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2 setup.

Your codec installed in a hitch and works beautifully!
Biggiesized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:34   #44  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Minor update: 1.3 (11/03/10): Increased max. supported resolution from 2048 x 1152 to 8192 x 8192.
There's no need to upgrade for most users. I needed it for 3D HD videos, which are frequently represented as standard HD resolution videos, where the two views are combined side-by-side or top-bottom.

Download: Helix YUV Codecs v1.3
Old 4th November 2010, 19:32   #45  |  Link
b66pak

thanks a lot...
_
Old 7th March 2011, 22:35   #46  |  Link
protovision

link is down

link to Helix YUV 1.3 is down, any mirrors?
protovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 03:30   #47  |  Link
karl_lillevold

The link is working for me at the moment, but it's not a good idea to host anything useful on a server on Comcast's network. I'll put it somewhere else asap. What is a minimally annoying file sharing service ?
Old 9th March 2011, 20:55   #48  |  Link
protovision

yep, original link is now working thx!

as for a host recommendation, I've d/l from MediaFire, pretty good. As long as its one small archive, I think any of the free services will do. It's when its a large, multipart archive, then those free hosts turn into a pain

Last edited by protovision; 9th March 2011 at 20:58.
protovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 21:24   #49  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_lillevold View Post
www.lillevold.com is down (again) :—/
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 21:45   #50  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks for letting me know. I figured out the problem this time. My Dynamic DNS service keeps messing up. That should be fixed in a few hours, but I have placed it on a public fileserver as well.

I have rarely seen a more annoying page Without AdBlock, it's chock full of ads and pop-ups pretending to be download links. Argh. It will have to do for now. With AdBlock, it's not too bad though.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 25th April 2011 at 21:48.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 22:55   #51  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

@ Karl: for the attention.

Now, why not let Videohelp archive the Helix YUV codecs?
Also, free-codecs d0t com still has the "outdated" version 1.2 only.
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 03:23   #52  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks, I will look into putting it on Videohelp. I will not use free-codecs since they are distributing (other) copyrighted codecs without permission.
Old 15th January 2014, 14:17   #53  |  Link
WorBry

Is there, by any chance, a 64-bit variant of the Helix YUV codecs?

Reason I ask is that I am evaluating some dual 32/64-bit lossless VFW codecs and would like to include testing with a 'decompressed' YV12 avi source clip prepared from footage in various compressed YV12 formats (HDV, AVCHD etc).

Using Helix YV12 to encode the 'decompressed' YV12 avi clip(s) in VirtualDub is not an issue. The problem is that one of the benchmark tools I am using (CLI based) requires a standalone/accessible vfw decoder/server. Obviously, Helix YV12 serves that purpose for 32-bit testing; the consideration is what to use for 64-bit?

If there is not a 64-bit Helix variant, I suppose x64/x86 XviD could be an option (haven't tried it yet), but I don't particularly want to install an XviD codec suite just to get at the YV12 decompressor.

Last edited by WorBry; 15th January 2014 at 14:24.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 14:28   #54  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

How about mencoder/ffmpeg with piping?

Last edited by Boulder; 15th January 2014 at 14:31.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 16:28   #55  |  Link
WorBry

Sorry, having no experience with FFMPEG piping, I'm not sure how that would be applied in this context - unless you are suggesting using FFMPEG as the benchmark testing environment? - If so, because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
.....one of the benchmark tools I am using (CLI based) requires a standalone/accessible vfw decoder/server.
The developer of one of the codecs has included a tool (in 32/64-bit flavors) that measures intrinsic compression and decompression speeds, as well as compression ratios, using the AVIFile API directly, so excluding disk I/O overheads. Converting the various YV12 clips to decompressed YV12 would provide a standardized avi source for the compression studies.

Edit: No bother - XViD_x64 YV12 decompressor does the trick. Still, if there is a 64-bit Helix variant, it would be useful to know.
Edit2: And (of course ), there's also 64-bit FFDShow using Uncompressed (Encoder)/Raw(decoder) - sometimes I make my life unnecessarily complicated.

Last edited by WorBry; 16th January 2014 at 15:23.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:49   #56  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I have made available an updated package. See first post.

Changelog
SE by MLJ (2014/09/22):
  • Updated .INF based installers for all versions of Windows.
  • Updated and new README information.
  • IYUV codec included (modified from I420).
  • Fixed Problems with Empia Capture Drivers in the new INF-File
  • Re-packaged and tested on 16 different configurations.
  • Both 1.2 and 1.3 included as some capture cards work better with 1.2.

Thanks to MLJ for providing this update!

Download: Helix YUV Codecs SE
A decompressor supporting 7-Zip is required, e.g WinRAR or 7-Zip.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 16th October 2014 at 17:37.
Old 4th October 2014, 22:34   #57  |  Link
Mick

Hi Karl,
wow, thanks a lot. This finally replaces the stubborn Intel IYUV Codec from Windows and works great How come there are still older versions circulating on other Websites and not using this one ?

Cheers

Mick
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 17:57   #58  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Hi Mick : I am afraid I don't have time to try to contact all the websites having copied and now distribute the older version and get them to update. In most cases these sites don't provide contact information.

For most users the old version works without any issues. The new and improved installer works better for advanced users, in particular those with capture and editing requirements, and/or running older OSs.

Similarly, MLJ tells me there are certain rare situations in which older NLE software requires the Windows bundled IYUV codec for some reason or other. He has therefore made available a version without the Helix IYUV codec.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 16th October 2014 at 18:02.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:28   #59  |  Link
karl_lillevold

forclip informed me that if using a renderer with RGB32 output, for example VMR-9, for higher than HD resolutions (e.g. 2560x1440) the Helix YV12 converter will cause a crash. I investigated this and found that when I created version 1.3 and allowed up to 8192x8192, I failed to notice that the assembly coded YUV to RGB color converters written in 1996 are hard-coded with a 2080 pixel wide limit. Back then no one foresaw resolutions would ever need to be higher :S

All I can do at the moment is add this information to the thread, as I am unable to make any modifications to the assembly code, nor in fact build the projects due to build system incompatibilities. If staying in the YUV domain, the converters work fine up to 8192.
Old 6th August 2015, 22:28   #60  |  Link
Mick

One should also consider that every Hardware responds differently when it comes to RGB32 with Alpha Channel. Intel handles RGB32 different to ATI, Matrox and NVidia for example with DVS Boards. Also, it's not the best manner to change Color spaces and Codecs like Underwear during a Production.

The oldest Rule for rendering is: "Never change the Codec. If the Source is DV, MJPEG or what ever, stay with it until the Project is done to prevent re-rendering your Material to uphold the Quality."

Does "Smart Rendering" or "Intelli-Rendering" ring a Bell to anyone ? These Options where integrated to uphold the Quality and to prevent a re-rendering, even in VirtualDub

Cheers

Mick
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote