Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old Yesterday, 14:50   #5161  |  Link
mkver

Ok, so let me rephrase: If I use mkvmerge to mux the webm file, the srt subs and the opus file that you uploaded I am supposed to get a file that has a defect audio track? Because I just did exactly that and the file I got was not defective.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:32   #5162  |  Link
fadedfedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
Ok, so let me rephrase: If I use mkvmerge to mux the webm file, the srt subs and the opus file that you uploaded I am supposed to get a file that has a defect audio track? Because I just did exactly that and the file I got was not defective.
You're right, I just did the same thing and the audio sounds fine. I noticed when I load the short clips there are two tags in the webm with the VP9 video. When I load the full VP9 and Opus tracks that those clips were cut from, there are no tags included. Could that have something to do with it?
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: png tags.PNG

Last edited by fadedfedor; Yesterday at 16:35.
fadedfedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:48   #5163  |  Link
mkver

Can you upload the full opus file? Or at the least the first few megabyte of it (it's important that you don't remux the file, but simply extract the first few MB (with a hex editor, not with a tool like ffmpeg); yes, you will probably have a defect packet at the end, but if there is enough material before it one can nevertheless use it to analyze it).
I'd be very surprised if the tags had anything to do with it. And the approval of attachments is very slow on this forum. If you ever want to upload something, then don't do it as an attachment. Not that I need a screenshot to show me that there are tags. I know it, because ffmpeg adds some tags by default.
Old Yesterday, 18:04   #5164  |  Link
fadedfedor

You meant the file before it's muxed into mkv that had the added clicking noises, right? Stupid question probably.
I split the file with a hex editor, is the first 3MB split okay? I don't mind uploading the full Opus file either, it's only 33MB.

https://a.safe.moe/0iTR2WZ.opus
Old Yesterday, 18:46   #5165  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I can hear the popping with the mkv remuxed from that sample.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:37   #5166  |  Link
mkver

If you have no problem uploading the whole sample, then please do so. Thanks.
For ease of reading: A = the opus file you just uploaded, B = file A remuxed with mkvmerge, C = file A remuxed with ffmpeg to opus
1. I can confirm that in B the packets at 980ms, 1980ms etc. have a DiscardPadding element. A uses page durations of 1s and the DiscardPadding elements in B are attached to the last frame out of A's pages (if I am not mistaken).
2. opusinfo has two complaints about B: WARNING: Samples with negative granpos in stream 1
WARNING: EOS not set on stream 1 (normal for live streams)
The second warning is an obvious result of the fact that the file is truncated; I don't think the first warning is, but to be sure I'd like to check the whole 33MB file.
What is remarkable is that there are no "WARNING: Sample count ahead of granule (49920>49608) in stream 1" and no "ERROR: stream 1 has interior holes or more than one page of end trimming" messages. (These are the errors that opusinfo outputs if one extracts the track from B to ogg/opus and analyzes the output with opusinfo.)
3. When A is decoded with the reference decoder, it also has this popping in it, but only once at about 970-980ms; B has it more often, because it has DiscardPadding elements every second. Consequently the decoded output of A and B diverge gradually; the difference in length is 138216 = 443*312 samples. 443s = 7m23s, the length of the file is about 7m24s.
If A is decoded with ffmpeg's native decoder then it is quite ok (the native decoder doesn't strip the CodecDelay away, so that the output file is actually 624 samples longer than the output of the reference decoder).
The differing behaviour of the reference decoder and mkvmerge might be due to a bug in the latter.
4. Unfortunately I don't know an analyzer that does for ogg/opus what mkvinfo does for Matroska.
5. Given that A is likely buggy I'd like to know exactly how you created it. In particular I'd like to know if you can reproducibily produce files like A.
Old Today, 12:53   #5167  |  Link
fadedfedor

33.9MB Opus

I used these settings to create it with XMedia Recode 3.4.3.0. I deleted the source I used shortly after encoding because I listened to some of it and was happy with the result until I muxed it. I just checked and the source is no longer available online either. Almost forgot to mention that the source was 5.1 and I didn't use a downmix matrix.

Last edited by fadedfedor; Today at 13:22.