Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2008, 15:12   #81  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

... an idea... the AQ patch

i suppose the AQ is triggered, please try settings in advanced profile editing set aq strenght to 0 (zero)

thanks!

BHH

P.S. what about quality ?
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 8th February 2008, 15:46   #82  |  Link
zacoz

Set aq strength at 0 but with no effect, 0.95a still comes out larger (same as without aq strength set). Do I need to set both aq strength and aq sensitivity, as I can't see any aq setting added into the command line?

Will test some more along that line in the morning. I need to get some sleep or I'll fall asleep at the keyboard.

P.S. Great difficulty seeing the difference between the 0.95beta21 and 0.95a encode, and couldn't pick one being better than the other. Surprising I thought considering the % size difference between them.

Old 8th February 2008, 15:49   #83  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

... feel free to substitute the x264.exe build...

ant btw here is 15.49

BHH
Old 8th February 2008, 16:42   #84  |  Link
reddragon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioso View Post
The video slows down for less then a second but the audio keeps playing.
I am having the same issue, and it is always at the same places in the movie. At first I thought it was buffer issue, but now that I have a Xvid at less than 5000Kbs it still hesitates in the same place. So right now I am back to square one trying to figure out why a 1280x544 movie at 5kbs struggles to play on a system that is powerful enough to play a X264 file at 10k. Hell I would use the X264 file directly, but my issue is that I want 5.1 and on the 360 the only codecs that allow 5.1 is Xvid and WMV and I hate encoding anything in WMV the file size if frign HUGE compared to Xvid. I'm doing another movie right now, but so far all of my MKV movies that I am converting to Xvid have had this issue, but only on the 360, the PC plays them perfectly.
Old 8th February 2008, 18:12   #85  |  Link
Glorioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon72 View Post
I am having the same issue, and it is always at the same places in the movie. At first I thought it was buffer issue, but now that I have a Xvid at less than 5000Kbs it still hesitates in the same place. So right now I am back to square one trying to figure out why a 1280x544 movie at 5kbs struggles to play on a system that is powerful enough to play a X264 file at 10k. Hell I would use the X264 file directly, but my issue is that I want 5.1 and on the 360 the only codecs that allow 5.1 is Xvid and WMV and I hate encoding anything in WMV the file size if frign HUGE compared to Xvid. I'm doing another movie right now, but so far all of my MKV movies that I am converting to Xvid have had this issue, but only on the 360, the PC plays them perfectly.
Same here, i thought it was the problem with 5k plus bitrate but after i limited i get the same problem...
Old 8th February 2008, 18:49   #86  |  Link
Honeyko

(Surveying the wreckage of the last two pages...)

Like the man from Arkansas said, but really meaning it, "I feel your pain". -- And it's chiefly why I've stopped even messing with (h/x)264 altogether for at least the time being.

A video project is like a car that needs fixing, and codecs are like toolboxes, and I'm a semi-competent backyard mechanic. XviD is a toolbox with ten tools in it, some of which will do the very well*, some more which will do it half-ass, and the rest that aren't appropriate. OTOH, x264 is a toolbox with a thousand tools in it, a couple of which work insanely great and better than the best xvid tool, some more that do as well, and about 950 tools that are inappropriate for your particular project's needs.

-- meaning, if you're a putterer, you're going to waste a LOT, LOT, LOT more time fumbling around in 264 before stumbling upon the right combination. And it'll take you a LOT, LOT, LOT more time waiting until you know that your pin totally missed getting the tail on the donkey.

(* LEM filter + Didees SixOfNine-HVS.cqm custom matrix really clean up old messy films. The greatest appeal of AutoMKV is that it's the only GUI shell that permits using those great processors with XviD, and also which permits MOD2 (or "no resizing at all if you don't want resizing") XviD encoding.)
Old 8th February 2008, 19:10   #87  |  Link
Honeyko

Quote:
LEM filter + Didees SixOfNine-HVS.cqm custom matrix really clean up old messy films. The greatest appeal of AutoMKV is that it's the only GUI shell that permits using those great processors with XviD, and also which permits MOD2 (or "no resizing at all if you don't want resizing") XviD encoding.)
SUGGESTION: Make those two default on AutoMKV if the user selects XviD encoding, and selects one-pass high performance or constant-quality. -- LEM is so much better than plain ordinary removegrain(2) on "dirty" video that it isn't silly; and Didees blows Jawor(1CD) away for quality when output size isn't a concern. LEM+Didees clean so much grain out of old movies that they compress better*, meaning I can apply CQ2.5 and get a better-looking file of about the same size as that made with CQ2.75 or even CQ3 with removegrain(2) and AUTO for cust. matrix.

(*Example: "Dragonslayer", shot without a deep-focus lens in Scotland; one of the few films made in the last thirty years without artificial lighting in a single scene. There is wafting smoke, hazy mist or billowing clouds in virtually every frame from beginning to end, and backgrounds are blurry. A couple transfers later to DVD, and it's a total "grain blizzard". In dark scenes with fire, there's literally more grain in the frame than original film. With this, LEM+Didees produced output video which was noticeably better that the source!)
Old 9th February 2008, 01:47   #88  |  Link
Tirade

The problem is what you suspected...

AQ is being used even when set to 0 or when turned off.

I did 2 rips, 1 with AQ set at .5/13 and the other with no AQ. The resulting file size is identical.
Old 9th February 2008, 05:09   #89  |  Link
gaspah

so i've been encoding these files via making the .d2v files manually with dgindex because automkv wont recognise the .ifo either ripped or with the inbuilt ripper, and been ripping the subs with subrip (which is better having a .srt vs .idx/.vob anyways). I'm getting excellent video/audio results, which is a definate step up from my old basic virtualdubmod/xvid/azid/normalize/lame archives.

After using this prog I couldnt go back to .avi if i tryed but now my 3GHz c2d feels like a p4 when encoding guess its time to go quad-core hey

But now i've noticed that encoding via .d2v eliminates chapters from from the encoded file, wheras the first run I had with automkv was nearly flawless it recognized all the .ifo and encoded most of them first time round perfect with only having to rip a few with an alternate ripper to get the audio in sync, but they had all the chapters included which was just awesome. is there anyway to keep the chapters even when forced to use .d2v method?

Last edited by gaspah; 9th February 2008 at 05:12.
Old 9th February 2008, 13:39   #90  |  Link
zacoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The problem is what you suspected...

AQ is being used even when set to 0 or when turned off.

I did 2 rips, 1 with AQ set at .5/13 and the other with no AQ. The resulting file size is identical.
I've checked out the x264 help and it seems that in the x264.exe (r706) with 0.95beta21 the default aq strength was 0.0 and aq sensitivity was 15 whereas the default in the latest build (r736) is now 0.5 and 13.

Also noted that previously if you didn't explicitly set aq strength or you set it to 0 in AutoMKV it wasn't being added to the x264 command line and consequently wasn't activated.

Now however if you don't explicitly set aq strength or you set it to 0 in AutoMKV it still isn't being added to the x264 command line but this results in aq strength of 0.5 and aq sensitivity of 13 being used.

So AutoMKV now needs to be changed so that if you select aq strength of 0 and aq sensitivity of 0 then these are added to the x264 command line.

Last edited by zacoz; 9th February 2008 at 13:42. Reason: can't spell (even with a spell checker)

Old 9th February 2008, 14:14   #91  |  Link
survivant001

@buzzwq

just to keep you inform. I still have problem with my movie. I created a new thread about the VBV Buffer underflow error.

here the link : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...48#post1098148

look so hard to find a working command line.. I which I know which parameters to change when I get this error
Old 9th February 2008, 14:55   #92  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

@gaspah
use the chapter button in advanced settings (you can load the chapter extracted with chapter extractor)

@zacoz

fixed i next update

@survivant001

i will follow the thread , thanks

BHH
Old 9th February 2008, 23:27   #93  |  Link
Crono141

Alright, I've ripped a DVD, and I"ve converted an Xvid to WMV. The DVD rip looked great and was about half the size of my other rips, except that the last 5 minutes or so of movie had no video, but the audio continued. I noticed in the log file there was an encoder error, probably at that moment.

On the Xvid to WMV conversion, the video started stuttering 10 minutes into the conversion. The audio remained synced, but it seemed like it was repeating every 4th previous frame, or something.

I can attach the log files if that would be helpful, but I didn't see anything in there (error messages or otherwise) that would indicate this problem occuring. I used WVC1 2 pass good with 800 mb size specified on the file conversion, and 95 quality on the DVD rip. Its actually in the middle of converting about 8 Divx and Xvids to WMV VC1 files. If the next one is behaving the same way, I'll let you know.

EDIT: I just found a new problem. After Ripping "Pan's Labyrinth" with burn in subtitles, I lose all subtitles about 42 minutes in. I believe they got lost because there were 2 peoples subtitles simultaneousely. The second person's subtitle didn't appear, and afterward all subtitles are gone.

EDIT AGAIN: All the file conversions as described above have the stuttering video. Must have something to do with "specify size".

Last edited by Crono141; 10th February 2008 at 06:55. Reason: New Problem Again
Old 10th February 2008, 00:03   #94  |  Link
weaver4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
select the Ipod profile, then go in advanced settings , check specify quality, select 72, then save setting

restart automkv, your profile should be loaded

BHH
I use AutoMKV to make H264 for my popcornhour, H264 for my IPod, and XviD for my DivX DVD players. So this does not do what I want it to do. I don't need a setup that has persistence what I need is a way to make a new profile(s), or easy change the existing profiles to constant quality. I mean, who would really want a specific filesize for iPod content anyway, or a media server, or any other device that is not "feed" by a CD or DVD; including any media server?

It is not that big of a deal to go to the advanced settings and set it for every encode, but it seems a little clumsy.
Old 10th February 2008, 01:50   #95  |  Link
Tirade

Just go to C:\Program Files\AutoMKV\profiles\x264-profiles

And edit on the of the existing profiles that is close to what you want. Be sure when you name the file that you include _CQ_ in the file name to activate CRF if it is a CRF profile. For example MyProfileforPS3_CQ_80CQ.xml

This profile will then be selectable under profile drop down menu if you click All Profile
Old 10th February 2008, 05:53   #96  |  Link
AMED

I think i've found a bug,

when running an encode with automkv waiting until you get to the video encoding part and exit automkv, the Output Folder = line in automkv.ini will be reset to the location of the AutoMKV095a.exe
Old 10th February 2008, 10:43   #97  |  Link
Zow

Still have the problem of missing MKV after ripping a Video_ts of subtitled movies. Tried it several different ways, it just won't create the MKV.

I tried running the muxing.bat from the Temp folder and got an error.

I am attaching the Command Prompt screen-grab with the error, as well as the log.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt VTS_01_1.vob.txt (19.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 10th February 2008, 12:20   #98  |  Link
Gruelius

I dunno if this is a bug or my stupidity but hwen i select "Autocrop only" in the width resolution listbox it still resizes the film.

Thanks
Old 10th February 2008, 13:03   #99  |  Link
zacoz

@Zow
I suggest you edit your post and paste log text inside CODE tags as attachments can take quite a while to be approved.

@Gruelius
Can you please post your log (as above - inside CODE tags).

Old 10th February 2008, 13:11   #100  |  Link
weaver4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Just go to C:\Program Files\AutoMKV\profiles\x264-profiles

And edit on the of the existing profiles that is close to what you want. Be sure when you name the file that you include _CQ_ in the file name to activate CRF if it is a CRF profile. For example MyProfileforPS3_CQ_80CQ.xml

This profile will then be selectable under profile drop down menu if you click All Profile
Knowing what file to edit or to put _CQ_ in the name is not the problem. Knowing what to edit in the file is. What parameters do I change? What parameters do I add? What parameters do I remove?
Closed Thread

Tags
automkv